Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I good easily see the draft going like this:

Edmonton: Ekblad

Calgary: Draisaitl/Bennett

Buffalo: Reinhart

Will it? I dont know about that. The point being the Sabres will have the ability to pick a top center if they so choose. Whatever happens I think that drafting this high will get us a good top 3 player.

If all of Buffalo's 1st from this years draft are not in the lineup full time this year what makes u think that there pick from this year will be in next years lineup? Do u see the new management style happening here?

I'm sorry did you just compare the 8th and 16th overall pick to potentially the 1st or 2nd overall pick? Because that is what makes me think that player will have a very good shot of being a starter on this team next season. Go look at past drafts. The top 3 picks are almost always on their teams rosters directly following their draft.

Hahahahha, I was actually talking about the Latvian, my bad for the mix up. My point is I don't think you can have too much depth at C. Why not keep 'the Latvian', Hodgson and 2014 1st all at C and roll 3 very good lines out there night after night.

For the record I'm getting close to writing off the Russian Grigs and don't think it's worth giving him a nickname until we know he will actually play in the NHL. I'm not ready to cut him loose yet or anything but at this point I'm not expecting much and it will be a great bonus if he figures things out.

Edited by Derrico

If all of Buffalo's 1st from this years draft are not in the lineup full time this year what makes u think that there pick from this year will be in next years lineup? Do u see the new management style happening here?

Read everyone elses post. Both of our possible picks are looking to be higher than our first pick of the last draft. Risto could very easily be playing on this team and would be if it wasnt historically awful. That is really good for a defense-man. There are also 2 guys drafter after him that are playing regular minutes in the league.

Reinhart is ready to play in the NHL right now, so is bennett, so is eckblad, and so are a few others. Those guys will be on rosters next year, two of them might be on ours.

Read everyone elses post. Both of our possible picks are looking to be higher than our first pick of the last draft. Risto could very easily be playing on this team and would be if it wasnt historically awful. That is really good for a defense-man. There are also 2 guys drafter after him that are playing regular minutes in the league.

Reinhart is ready to play in the NHL right now, so is bennett, so is eckblad, and so are a few others. Those guys will be on rosters next year, two of them might be on ours.

My personal opinion is that since the new management coming in these players getting drafted in the first round are going back to their respected league before they are on the roster full time. I don't care if we have 2 top five picks this year. Last years draft was regarded as one of the best since 2003. Have u guys listened to Nolan talk about the kids they need more time and that's what's going to happen. They are not going to rush these players like Edmonton is doing. Look how well that's going for them. Not saying Hall and Nugent-Hopkins are bad but that team has been bad for awhile now. Look at Darnell Nurse they are not rushing him like they did with other top picks. They have new management as well. You can Think what u want but whoever they draft this year might get a sampling of games and that's it. This team won't be much better next year so rushing picks is foolish. Just look at the Grigo situation.

One exec said that Reinhart is the only NHL-ready player in this draft. Just because somebody is projected to be drafted high doesn't mean they're ready. Bennett will likely take one more year. Ekblad and Reinhart are the only guys I see having a shot at making a roster outright without being forced onto a team.

Many people on here are saying the team should focus their efforts on the 2015 draft. Do we really want to do that? I mean, top draft picks usually take 1-2 years to develop, or sometimes longer. Do we really want our team to start becoming competitive in 2017-2018?

Sure, there are no blockbusters like McD in this year's draft, but isn't that why we went out and got Murray and Patrick to help identify these lesser known players? I'm sure there are going to be some excellent players that develop out of the 2014 draft and we should focus on identifying and developing them.

Plus, we're never going to get McDavid. Let's get it out of our heads. We're having trouble even tanking this year, it's not going to happen next year, especially if we have Zadorov, Risto, possibly Grigs, and a much better Girgs.

Many people on here are saying the team should focus their efforts on the 2015 draft. Do we really want to do that? I mean, top draft picks usually take 1-2 years to develop, or sometimes longer. Do we really want our team to start becoming competitive in 2017-2018?

Sure, there are no blockbusters like McD in this year's draft, but isn't that why we went out and got Murray and Patrick to help identify these lesser known players? I'm sure there are going to be some excellent players that develop out of the 2014 draft and we should focus on identifying and developing them.

Plus, we're never going to get McDavid. Let's get it out of our heads. We're having trouble even tanking this year, it's not going to happen next year, especially if we have Zadorov, Risto, possibly Grigs, and a much better Girgs.

I doubt we land McDavid either, but it's definitely possible, especially if we move Miller or stupidly allow him to walk in July for nothing.

There is more chance of finishing in the McDavid derby next year, than of any of those kids making a team changing impact.

There is at best a 25% chance of drafting McDavid next year. If there is less than a 25% chance of any of those guys making a team-changing impact, then the team has not drafted wisely.

There is at best a 25% chance of drafting McDavid next year. If there is less than a 25% chance of any of those guys making a team-changing impact, then the team has not drafted wisely.

Good thing there are two world class can't miss prospects next year. Finishing last guarantees one of them.

Two clarifications:

1) I said in the McDavid derby. I am not counting on winning the lottery. Eichel looks just as promising, and after the two franchise players, there are a few more Reinhart-level first-line forwards as well. We need another first-line forward to go along with whoever we pick this year. We will probably need to finish in the bottom five to get one.

2) I was talking about making a team-changing impact next year. Give Girgs another year or two, and the two d-men even longer. Grigo maybe not at all.

Two clarifications:

1) I said in the McDavid derby. I am not counting on winning the lottery. Eichel looks just as promising, and after the two franchise players, there are a few more Reinhart-level first-line forwards as well. We need another first-line forward to go along with whoever we pick this year. We will probably need to finish in the bottom five to get one.

2) I was talking about making a team-changing impact next year. Give Girgs another year or two, and the two d-men even longer. Grigo maybe not at all.

You want a franchise player for the future we need to be at the bottom 3 next season. No need to rush the kids. Plus with the new management style of letting the kids develop into men and giving them time I think it's a good chance we finish at the bottom. If any team can't afford another bad season it's Edmonton. We are bad this year but they have been bad for how many years now. They need to make an effort now to get better. We still are in stage one. There are no unrestricted free agents upcoming this year except Vanek that are going to help the offense. It's a strong possibility that we are in the McDavid sweepstakes!

You want a franchise player for the future we need to be at the bottom 3 next season. No need to rush the kids. Plus with the new management style of letting the kids develop into men and giving them time I think it's a good chance we finish at the bottom. If any team can't afford another bad season it's Edmonton. We are bad this year but they have been bad for how many years now. They need to make an effort now to get better. We still are in stage one. There are no unrestricted free agents upcoming this year except Vanek that are going to help the offense. It's a strong possibility that we are in the McDavid sweepstakes!

Thornton, marleau, Jagr, vrbata, Moulson, Alfredsson, statsny, legwand, grabovski etc.....

Good thing there are two world class can't miss prospects next year. Finishing last guarantees one of them.

I definitely appreciate tanking (the dishonor for Conner, don't save it for McDavid, etc), but we're going to have very good players coming up from the farm next season. I just don't think introducing them to the NHL via a tank job is a good thing in the long run. That said, the only good tank is with a team of veteran journeymen minus Miller, but I don't see that happening.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.