Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=700891

Team Cherry captain Sam Reinhart (Kootenay Ice), No. 4 on Central Scouting's midterm rankings, finished with one goal and one assist.

"It was a great experience," Reinhart said. "It was the first and probably the only time we'd all be together for this draft class. It was important to all of us and we wanted to play well. Now the focus is going back with our club teams and to focus and play with some confidence in the second half of the season."

Marr certainly likes Dal Colle's game.

"He has an excellent two-way game and excels in both skill and physical situations," he said. "He plays an energy game to the net and is the first player in on the fore-check, creating scoring chances every time he's on the ice. He passes and shoots with authority and is used in all situations in Oshawa."

This also has a video highlight of all the goals.

Edited by LGR4GM

Because neither of those are projected to be the next scott niedermayer, ekblad is.

I honestly couldn't say what Zadorov will become. It is highly unusual for a 16th overall pick to look comfortable in the NHL at age 18. Ristolainen is a bit easier to diagnose but again he is only 19.

Ekblad could be the next Niedermayer, he looks very good to amazing in the highlights and top prospects videos I have seen. The problem is drafting a defender 1st overall when your forwards are in such a state of crap. It is a tough call.

I honestly couldn't say what Zadorov will become. It is highly unusual for a 16th overall pick to look comfortable in the NHL at age 18. Ristolainen is a bit easier to diagnose but again he is only 19.

Ekblad could be the next Niedermayer, he looks very good to amazing in the highlights and top prospects videos I have seen. The problem is drafting a defender 1st overall when your forwards are in such a state of crap. It is a tough call.

Speaking of Dmen, I can man up and eat crow when it is warranted. I was listening to 590 (or was it 1050?) on the way home from work last night and they were talking to an Oilers beat reporter who said they would almost certainly take Ekblad if he is on the board when they draft. I am really hoping this is the case because if we come in last and the Oils are the ones who win the lottery we would get the best forward available. I still think several other teams would go with a forward if they were to win the draft lottery though. Either way, let's hope TM is doing his homework with Devine!

THN: 2014 NHL Draft Rankings: Draisaitl takes over No. 1

By: Ryan Kennedy on January 15, 2014

Leon-Draisaitl-Draft-640x434.jpg

For me, the most important opinions on the NHL draft come from the team scouts and execs, the people who will actually be making the picks come June 26 in Philadelphia. To that end, my mid-term pick for No. 1 overall may shock you, but this is based on input from the decision-makers themselves. There’s still a lot of hockey to be played, but here’s a look at how the draft may pan out.

1. Leon Draisaitl, C – Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)

The German pivot is blowing scouts away right now. One thought the kid had some Anze Kopitar in him thanks to a combination of size and playmaking. The latter is where Draisaitl really shines. A complete player with great awareness, he makes players around him better and has great anticipation. Makes plays equally strong on both his forehand and backhand.

2. Aaron Ekblad, D – Barrie Colts (OHL)

Is it mean to put Ekblad second based on the assumption Edmonton will be picking in this slot? Just kidding, Oilers fans. But hey, Ekblad would be a welcome addition. The Colts star played quite well as an underager on a weirdly shaky Canadian blueline at the world juniors and he can do it all. Ekblad is big, strong and can contribute at both ends of the ice.

3. Sam Bennett, C – Kingston Frontenacs (OHL)

A very versatile player, one scout noted that you don’t usually find players who can play a variety of roles in the top five of the draft. Bennett has a great motor and competes hard, but he’s also an excellent producer and hasn’t been held off the scoresheet since Nov. 2. Speed, hands and the ability to change the tempo of a game also help his cause.

4. Sam Reinhart, C – Kootenay Ice (WHL)

Someone has to fall when others rise and Reinhart is that guy right now. Though my scouts nixed the idea his skating needs work (a flaw in the minds of some others), there was a minor question about how deep he digs sometimes. Otherwise, Reinhart does everything well and thinks the game on an elite level.

5. Michael Dal Colle, LW – Oshawa Generals (OHL)

A big dude who can really put up numbers, Dal Colle is a creative winger with great hands who has been scorching all year long for the Generals. He’s been one of the top scorers in the Ontario League for most of the season and his 6-foot-2 frame has only 171 pounds on it right now, meaning he will get heavier and harder to play against in the near future.

6. Kasperi Kapanen, RW – KalPa Kuopio (Fin.)

Playing on a line with his dad, former NHLer Sami Kapanen, Kasperi has pushed through a couple injuries this year, one of which unfortunately meant we didn’t see him at the world juniors. But the kid has a pro demeanor and knows where he needs to be on the ice. A smart player who distributes the puck and reads off his teammates.

7. Brendan Perlini, LW – Niagara IceDogs (OHL)

Don’t be surprised if Perlini goes higher than this, depending on which teams are picking where. A power forward in the making, Perlini has the size and the skill, while working on the snarl. Nevertheless, he’s one of the highest scorers in the OHL on a rebuilding Niagara team, using his release and skating to cash in offensively.

8. Willie Nylander, RW – Sodertalje (Swe.)

Now on his third team of the season, Nylander has raised some eyebrows because of this unsettling situation, but scouts I’ve talked to said he has enough skill to make up for any issues in that realm. Tremendously gifted offensively, the son of Mikael Nylander has been on fire since joining Sodertalje’s third line, with eight points in six games.

9. Haydn Fleury, D – Red Deer Rebels (WHL)

In a draft thin on top-end defensemen, Fleury will be a beacon of light once Ekblad has gone off the board. Strong, quick and willing, his puck skills are still being investigated by scouts, but everything else about his skills package sings. A poised blueliner who also has great hockey sense.

10. Jake Virtanen, LW – Calgary Hitmen (WHL)

Another versatile player, Virtanen is the type of guy you could stick on a number of lines and still get an effective performance. He’s real nasty on the ice and definitely competes, using his strength to romp around the rink. Virtanen also has decent offensive numbers for a great Calgary team.

I think i am switching my opinion to want bennett and dal colle.

If the Islanders think they will be in the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes, they may allow us to do just that. Imagine having the 1st overall and the 4th overall picks and taking Bennett and Dal Colle... man would that speed up a rebuild.

If the Islanders think they will be in the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes, they may allow us to do just that. Imagine having the 1st overall and the 4th overall picks and taking Bennett and Dal Colle... man would that speed up a rebuild.

I would think that depending on how we did in free agency we would at least be competitive for a wild card. That is without considering that I think it is very plausible that we may have two to three more first found picks depending on the trade deadline. I am still sincerely hoping for a Tkachuk scenario to work out with one or hopefully all of Ott, Moulson, and Miller.

It would speed up the rebuild but I still believe whoever is taken in the draft this year or next is still at least a couple of years before touching nhl ice on a regular basis. That's why I think it's going to be 3-5 years before we are playoff bound

Edited by SabresBillsFan

It would speed up the rebuild but I still believe whoever is taken in the draft this year or next is still at least a couple of years before touching nhl ice on a regular basis. That's why I think it's going to be 3-5 years before we are playoff bound

:flirt: yup

unless we get some crazy good UFA's I would guess 2-4 years before playoffs

Well for the first pick it'd be one year at most probably, but once the 2015 draft passes it's time to build a real team instead of tanking.

Well for the first pick it'd be one year at most probably, but once the 2015 draft passes it's time to build a real team instead of tanking.

I totally agree but still think whoever they draft in 2015 still won't be ready for full time nhl ice.

We desperately need wingers.

U should say we definetly need goal scorers and top 6 players!

I totally agree but still think whoever they draft in 2015 still won't be ready for full time nhl ice.

What we need is top six wingers, who can score goals, or make plays or at the very least understand the game

Most top 10 guys play in the NHL that season. Unless you are picking projects, whcih we wont be. We already have projects.

I don't mean to be rude but absolutely not, most top 10 draft picks play that year? So 6 out of 10 at least play that year? Do me a favor and look that up! Not even close man. You MIGHT have got away with it if you said top 3.

What we need is top six wingers, who can score goals, or make plays or at the very least understand the game

I don't mean to be rude but absolutely not, most top 10 draft picks play that year? So 6 out of 10 at least play that year? Do me a favor and look that up! Not even close man. You MIGHT have got away with it if you said top 3.

5 of the top 10 are playing for their clubs right now. that is if you dont include Risto......

also of the top 25 or so picks there are 3 or 4 forwards who could be in our top six this year. Right this minute. Especially Drouin

Edited by FolignosJock

5 of the top 10 are playing for their clubs right now. that is if you dont include Risto......

also of the top 25 or so picks there are 3 or 4 forwards who could be in our top six this year. Right this minute. Especially Drouin

What u forget that draft was suppose to be one of the better ones since the 2003 drafts. Whoever this team drafts this year will be going thru development under this new management. They are not going to use the Regier and Edmonton style to develop these players! That's why I said it's going to be 3-5 years before we see playoffs. With fewer high end talent hitting unrestricted free agency the years of a quick turn around isn't going to happen.

What u forget that draft was suppose to be one of the better ones since the 2003 drafts. Whoever this team drafts this year will be going thru development under this new management. They are not going to use the Regier and Edmonton style to develop these players! That's why I said it's going to be 3-5 years before we see playoffs. With fewer high end talent hitting unrestricted free agency the years of a quick turn around isn't going to happen.

If the Sabres draft 1st overall this year. There is a very high probability that whoever they draft will be a Sabres at the start of the season.

1. Leon Draisaitl, C – Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)

The German pivot is blowing scouts away right now. One thought the kid had some Anze Kopitar in him thanks to a combination of size and playmaking. The latter is where Draisaitl really shines. A complete player with great awareness, he makes players around him better and has great anticipation. Makes plays equally strong on both his forehand and backhand.

I brought up Draisaitl a while ago and it pleases me to see he has climbed the rankings. I like, especially, that he "plays equally strong on both his forehand and backhand." That is something I have noticed a lot, lately, where players take too much time trying to turn around for the shot rather than just attempt a backhand. This and face-offs should be something every player works on religiously over the summer. There's no reason to be deficient in these skills.

Anyway, what number is the projected drop-off for this draft?

The time frame pretty much comes down to if Miller is back and what Myers does. We're a completely different team when Myers is on his game.

I brought up Draisaitl a while ago and it pleases me to see he has climbed the rankings. I like, especially, that he "plays equally strong on both his forehand and backhand." That is something I have noticed a lot, lately, where players take too much time trying to turn around for the shot rather than just attempt a backhand. This and face-offs should be something every player works on religiously over the summer. There's no reason to be deficient in these skills.

Anyway, what number is the projected drop-off for this draft?

5... You have Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl, Ekblad... than Dal Colle is right on the edge. After that it is a drop off.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.