Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Craig's List:Updated: January 15, 2014

TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button produces rankings (September through June) this season featuring the top players eligible for the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. Craig's rankings represent his individual assessment of where players are slotted in the NHL draft.

1. Sam Reinhart

2. Aaron Ekblad

3. Sam Bennett

4. Michael Dal Colle

5. Brendan Perlini

6. Jared McCann

7. Adrian Kempe

8. Nikolaj Ehlers

9. Haydn Fleury

10. David Pastrnak

2014 NHL Draft: Michael Dal Colle, Nick Ritchie, Alex Tuch, Jared McCann

Recently, on Sirius NHL Network Radio’s Hockey Prospects show, HockeyProspect.com’s Mark Edwards chatted about a few players eligible for the 2014 NHL Draft with the shows hosts, Shane Malloy and Russ Cohen.

The draft eligible prospects discussed were: Michael Dal Colle from the Oshawa Generals, Nick Ritchie from the Peterborough Petes, Alex Tuch from the USNTDP and Jared McCann from the Soo Greyhounds.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Draisytl (too lazy to look up exact spelling) goes and plays in the WJHC and comes back to see himself fall out of the top 10. Meanwhile others play against far inferior talent and move up. These rankings are no different than Kiper and McShay. USELESS!!

he played bad though....and some of the guys left behind were for older players who were already drafted....

he played bad though....and some of the guys left behind were for older players who were already drafted....

He played for Germany who's sole goal of the WJC was to avoid being kicked out of the tournament.

Draisytl (too lazy to look up exact spelling) goes and plays in the WJHC and comes back to see himself fall out of the top 10. Meanwhile others play against far inferior talent and move up. These rankings are no different than Kiper and McShay. USELESS!!

My advice is to do basically what the BSC did... take ISS rankings, CSS Rankings and (insert other ranking here... craigs list?) average out the ranks for each players and generate a new list. If I have time later today I may try this out

He played for Germany who's sole goal of the WJC was to avoid being kicked out of the tournament.

My advice is to do basically what the BSC did... take ISS rankings, CSS Rankings and (insert other ranking here... craigs list?) average out the ranks for each players and generate a new list. If I have time later today I may try this out

He still played poorly.....

Summary of what they said about Dal Colle:

He is a power forward with good size and good skating. Draisaitl skates better but Dal Colle is just as good of a playmaking with really top end hockey IQ. He is strong at protecting the puck. Interesting note is that they called him a pivot indicating he may no longer play wing at all, hard to say. His team when into the season thinking they would be rebuilding. They relied on Dal Colle for production and he is the major reason for them to be at the top of their division. He has 27 goals and 12 of them have been "clutch goals" which I interpret as game winning or perhaps tying goals. They didn't explain the clutch part.

Nick Ritchie they say is a player to watch. He plays on a weak team and that has affected his numbers. They say he has about the overall skill of Dal Colle but his team is so much weaker it has affected his draft rankings. "When he moves the puck sometimes the plays die." They also discuss how he muscles his way to the net and plays physical. Teammates are just not getting him the puck when he is open and can make plays. So basically he is trying to pull his entire team up.

If we have the Islanders pick... might be a kid we should discuss.

Alex Tuch from Baldwinsville... called "outstanding" in the last games the scout saw. His skating is not good but he "gets there". He scored some very skilled goals, good hands. He pulls his weight and a very intriguing propsect going into the 2nd half. He checks hard and plays a solid defensive game. He is also... and this is my favorite part... a 6'3" 218lb RW... This is another player I would have penciled in around our potential 2nd 1st rounder (be it the Islanders pick or someone elses)

Note that all the things I have just written I summarized from the interview.

Edited by LGR4GM

ISS Top 30 Released For January

Aaron Ekblad moves up to #1 ranking in January release of ISS Top 30, with entire Top 5 shuffling. Thatcher Demko snatches #1 goalie ranking.

Ekblad-300x187.jpg

January 15, 2014 [Guelph, ON] ISS Hockey has released its new monthly rankings of the top prospects eligible for the 2014 NHL Draft. This month’s rankings include the top 200 skaters, along with the top 15 goaltenders, as evaluated and ranked by ISS Hockey’s worldwide network of scouts.

Below is the ISS Top 30, highlighting the rankings for the top 30 prospects.

The January release of the ISS Top 30 presents a fresh look of the Top 5 rankings; Aaron Ekblad (#1, previously ranked #2), Sam Reinhart (#2, previously ranked #1), Sam Bennett (#3, previously ranked #5), Michael Dal Colle (#4, previously ranked #3) and Willie Nylander (#5, previously ranked #4).

A superb showing on junior hockey’s biggest stage elevates Ekblad to ISS #1 prospect for January. “Ekblad was arguably the best defender for Canada, and we see him as a future captain and cornerstone defenseman down the road,” comments ISS Hockey Director of Scouting Dennis MacInnis. “No doubt, Ekblad’s transition into the NHL will be as smooth as any defenseman in the past decade, as his strength and maturity make him NHL ready right now.”

The full monthly ISS Hockey rankings are available within RinkNet, software technology tailored for the general manager, scout, coach, player agent or super fan that wants in-depth information on prospects for the upcoming NHL and CHL drafts. They are published on the 15th of each month during the hockey season, along with detailed player scouting profiles and game reports. To find out more about RinkNet, please visit www.RinkNet.com.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Take a look. although it's somewhat outdated with Button and ISS January rankings just out: http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings

CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game is tonight at 9 PM Eastern on NHL Network in the US.

@AAVickers 25m

Team Orr Lines: Lemieux-Draisaitl-Watson, Perlini-McCann-Ho-Sang, Bishop-Point-Virtanen, Clarke-Cornel-Ehlers #BMOTP

Team Orr Defense: Peters-Ekblad, Martin-Honka, Haydon-Thomas #BMOTP

McDonald will start for Team Orr. Billia will come in halfway through the game. #BMOTP

Team Cherry Lines: Dal Colle-Reinhart-Barbashev, Ritchie-MacInnis-Bleackley, Mistele-Fabbri-Goldobin, Audette-De Leo-Scherbak #BMOTP

Team Cherry Defense: Fleury-Irving, DeAngelo-Middleton, Vanier-McKeown #BMOTP

Edmonds will start in net for Team Cherry. Nedeljkovic will come in halfway through the game. #BMOTP

CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game is tonight at 9 PM Eastern on NHL Network in the US.

@AAVickers 25m

Team Orr Lines: Lemieux-Draisaitl-Watson, Perlini-McCann-Ho-Sang, Bishop-Point-Virtanen, Clarke-Cornel-Ehlers #BMOTP

Team Orr Defense: Peters-Ekblad, Martin-Honka, Haydon-Thomas #BMOTP

McDonald will start for Team Orr. Billia will come in halfway through the game. #BMOTP

Team Cherry Lines: Dal Colle-Reinhart-Barbashev, Ritchie-MacInnis-Bleackley, Mistele-Fabbri-Goldobin, Audette-De Leo-Scherbak #BMOTP

Team Cherry Defense: Fleury-Irving, DeAngelo-Middleton, Vanier-McKeown #BMOTP

Edmonds will start in net for Team Cherry. Nedeljkovic will come in halfway through the game. #BMOTP

No Bennett? anyone know why that is? i was looking forward to getting a look at him in some game action tonight.

Take a look. although it's somewhat outdated with Button and ISS January rankings just out: http://www.mynhldraf...ospect-rankings

Hmm interesting... here is my roughly put together rankings, pulling from 3-4 different places and trying to combine them together.

1. Aaron Ekblad
  2. Sam Reinhart
  3. Sam Bennett
  4. Michael Dal Colle
  5. Brendan Perlini
  6. Leon Draisaitl
  7. Michael Nylander
  8. Haydn Fleury
  9. Jared McCann
  10. Adrian Kempe
  11. Anton Karlsson
  12. Nicholas Ritchie
  13. Kasperi Kapanen
  14. David Pastrnak
  15. Ivan Barbashev
  16. Anthony Deangelo
  17. Nikolaj Ehlers
  18. Sonny Milano
  19. Roland McKeown
  20. Jake Virtanen
  21. Danny Larkin
  22. Alex Tuch
  23. Julius Honka
  24. Connor Bleackley
  25. Nikolai Goldobin
  26. Joshua Ho-Sang
  27. Jakub Vrana
  28. Nikita Scherbak
  29. Nick Schmaltz
  30. Vlad Kamenev

No Bennett? anyone know why that is? i was looking forward to getting a look at him in some game action tonight.

Bennett has a strained groin

Alex Tuch from Baldwinsville... called "outstanding" in the last games the scout saw. His skating is not good but he "gets there". He scored some very skilled goals, good hands. He pulls his weight and a very intriguing propsect going into the 2nd half. He checks hard and plays a solid defensive game. He is also... and this is my favorite part... a 6'3" 218lb RW... This is another player I would have penciled in around our potential 2nd 1st rounder (be it the Islanders pick or someone elses)

Note that all the things I have just written I summarized from the interview.

No thanks on Tuchas. ###### Baldwinsville.

The players i was most impressed with were Sam Reinhart, Micheal DalColle, Nikita Scherbak and Nikolai Goldobin. Goldobin looked very skilled with the puck but im afraid he will be one of those lazy players at the next level. Even the announcers said he just has that easy going attitude. Reinhart seemed very smooth. Seemed like he was in a higher class then everyone else. Great puck control, smooth passing, great backchecking, he also scored and assisted on a goal.

I love Dal Colle's size. From reading articles it was always something that i liked about him. But tonight i finally saw him play. He is an animal. Kind of like Girgensons. He schooled Ekbald on one play which caused Ekbald to penalize Dal Colle, otherwise it would of been a odd-man rush for his team. Seemed to have very good hands. His style of play is very similar to Malkin.

The players i was most impressed with were Sam Reinhart, Micheal DalColle, Nikita Scherbak and Nikolai Goldobin. Goldobin looked very skilled with the puck but im afraid he will be one of those lazy players at the next level. Even the announcers said he just has that easy going attitude. Reinhart seemed very smooth. Seemed like he was in a higher class then everyone else. Great puck control, smooth passing, great backchecking, he also scored and assisted on a goal.

I love Dal Colle's size. From reading articles it was always something that i liked about him. But tonight i finally saw him play. He is an animal. Kind of like Girgensons. He schooled Ekbald on one play which caused Ekbald to penalize Dal Colle, otherwise it would of been a odd-man rush for his team. Seemed to have very good hands. His style of play is very similar to Malkin.

It's funny but I thought those same 4 players stood out to me as well. Both Scherbak and Goldobin stood out to me because they can skate and have skill. Reinhart has a great all around game. I was also impressed by Ekblad he seems like a big defenseman that took control at times. Lemieux seem okay as well. I was mainly looking at skating and there skill set. Let's face it skating is huge at the next levels. I still see the Sabres being 3-5 years before they make the playoffs. No matter who they draft this year and in 2015 they won't be ready to step in right away.

Convince the islanders to let us draft this year.

We take Reinhart/kapanen - bennet . resign ott + Moulson

2015 if we are lucky we take Mcdavid or eichel.

in 2016 we could have this line up, work your magic murray :P

Moulson - Mcdavid - Reinhart/kapanen

Bennet - Grigorenko - Girgensons

Ennis - Hodgson- Foligno

Ott - Larsonn - Flynn

Erhoff - pysyk

Ekblad myers - Mcnabb

Zadorov - Risto

x Mccabe

Enroth

Hackett <--- don't think the kid will make it. Ullmark and makarov will be breathing down his neck soon.

btw have been looking up on bennet a bit, i wouldn't mind taking him over ekblad and reinhart.

then again i might even consider taking Kapanen over ekblad and reinhart if you want real speed on your wing.

No Armia?

I still see the Sabres being 3-5 years before they make the playoffs. No matter who they draft this year and in 2015 they won't be ready to step in right away. Besides Armia they don't have anyone that is a pure goal scorer in the system. It's going to take awhile to clean up this mess. None of these kids they draft in 2014 are going to step into the nhl. Plus with the change of management into developing these kids and with Nolan behind the bench no matter who they draft they will be right back in junior the next year. There are no great unrestricted free agents this year unless you want Vanek back. This is going to take some time.

Looking at ekblad i'd prolly make a different choice than most of you if we have two top 4 picks.

I'd still pick ekblad and bennet. just trade one of our d-man, sure Myers and erhoff can land us something good now, sell high !!!

Myers is looking as good as his rookie season. While I understand selling high, with him Pysyk, Risto and Z; you have your top 4 D for the next decade. Why screw that up?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.