Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I think Reinhart looked better and sounded better in the interviews to be honest. I don't know what Timmy will do but I am glad I don't have to choose.

Also Reinhart looks like he has really long arms.

Edited by LGR4GM

Sam Bennett, Aaron Ekblad and Sam Reinhart all in mix to be top pick as NHL draft approaches

For the next few weeks, their skills, personality, body type – everything about them – will be dissected. Twenty-six days before the NHL Entry Draft, there’s still no consensus No. 1 overall pick.

To many observers, three coveted youngsters – center Sam Bennett, defenseman Aaron Ekblad and center Sam Reinhart, the top North American prospects, according to NHL Central Scouting – are vying for the pick owned by the Florida Panthers.

BpDhz7WIUAAIGsm.jpg

@BuffaloSabres

WATCH: Director of @NHL Central Scouting Dan Marr gives his thoughts on the #NHLCombine - http://goo.gl/ekLDpI

#NHLDraft

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

FC releases final ranking for 2014 NHL Draft

The final results are in, and Aaron Ekblad stands alone at the top of the 2014 NHL Draft class.

The 18-year-old Barrie Colts defenseman is the top-ranked draft eligible from the 2014 class, a position he’s held for the majority of the season.

Future Considerations’ final ranking deviates little from May.

The top four of Ekblad, Sam Reinhart of the Kootenay Ice, Sam Bennett of the Kingston Frontenacs and William Nylander of MODO remain as the Future Considerations’ top-four.

Prince Albert Raiders center Leon Draisaitl did leapfrog Michael Dal Colle into the top-five, while both Haydn Fleury of the Red Deer Rebels and Jake Virtanen of the Calgary Hitmen inched ahead of Brendan Perlini of the Niagara IceDogs and into the top-10.

In the only other change, Peterborough Petes pivot Eric Cornel, 31st in Future Considerations’ May ranking, inched ahead of Anton Karlsson and into the final position amongst first round candidates.

He'll have time to bulk up before he makes the Sabres. And if we don't pick him, he's a weak little ######.

How important are pullups to playing hockey anyway? Maybe he can't do one because his thighs and ass are the size of a cement truck and just as difficult to move.

I just don't know what this means, if anything.

I'm betting he's never tried a pull up in his life. He has muscle definition in this picture. He jus has never exercised the pull up muscles. Pull ups don't make your slap shot harder. They don't make your hands better and they don't make you skate faster.

He's a child. He'll get stronger.

I'm betting he's never tried a pull up in his life. He has muscle definition in this picture. He jus has never exercised the pull up muscles. Pull ups don't make your slap shot harder. They don't make your hands better and they don't make you skate faster.

He's a child. He'll get stronger.

He doesn't have muscle definition. He's just tiny.

How important are pullups to playing hockey anyway? Maybe he can't do one because his thighs and ass are the size of a cement truck and just as difficult to move.

I just don't know what this means, if anything.

Think about the muscles you use for a pull-up. Think about the fact that this kid always has been the fastest skater in any game he has played.

Now, think about the NHL. No longer fastest. And you need those muscles to push people off. He doesn't have them. That is a problem.

Think about the muscles you use for a pull-up. Think about the fact that this kid always has been the fastest skater in any game he has played.

Now, think about the NHL. No longer fastest. And you need those muscles to push people off. He doesn't have them. That is a problem.

It is a problem at present. I'd be shocked if the problem can't be remedied quickly. 18-20 year olds can put on a lot of muscle, especially when getting world class training.

The muscles used for a pullup are the least important muscles in the upper body used for pushing off. Besides...

It is a problem at present. I'd be shocked if the problem can't be remedied quickly. 18-20 year olds can put on a lot of muscle, especially when getting world class training.

This. The scouting reports don't say he relies solely on his speed (although it's certainly a valuable asset)--he's also strong on the puck. If he's strong on the puck and difficult to knock off while being a bean pole, I think the fact that he can (theoretically) add significant strength is a good thing. It's like the inverse of the "man-child" concern some had voiced with Ekblad.

The pull-up thing is an issue. No matter which way you slice it, it should be viewed as a negative.

I question how that's possible as an athlete at any major level, but I question it even more for somebody about to enter the draft.

You knew the combine was coming. I pray that you knew what workouts would be done. Did he not at least try one ahead of time and realize he needed to bust his ass and improve that?

I don't know what would be worse: him not knowing or finding out everything that would be covered at the combine, or knowing and not doing anything about it.

The pull-up thing is an issue. No matter which way you slice it, it should be viewed as a negative.

I question how that's possible as an athlete at any major level, but I question it even more for somebody about to enter the draft.

You knew the combine was coming. I pray that you knew what workouts would be done. Did he not at least try one ahead of time and realize he needed to bust his ass and improve that?

I don't know what would be worse: him not knowing or finding out everything that would be covered at the combine, or knowing and not doing anything about it.

He's FN 17 years old! Stop making a big deal out of this. :doh: Watch how the guy plays HOCKEY ON THE ICE!

He's FN 17 years old! Stop making a big deal out of this. :doh: Watch how the guy plays HOCKEY ON THE ICE!

There's still no excuse. If this has absolutely zero baring then why even have the combine? They don't make them do pull-ups so they can see how much armpit hair each prospect has.

If florida wants to loose their 2014 1st round pick, offer erhoff + stewart/ennis or whatever and pick ekblad + one of the sam's

I wouldn't however, trade 2015 1st round pick or this years 2nd pick. Any 2nd round pick in 2014 + 2015 i would offer up though.

Edited by Heimdall

There's still no excuse. If this has absolutely zero baring then why even have the combine? They don't make them do pull-ups so they can see how much armpit hair each prospect has.

There is an explanation though.

these are high school students playing up to 90 games a year.

Between world juniors, chl regular season, playoffs and studies - your average high school track athlete is spending more time in the weight room.

I view the no pullup in a couple of ways. First that as a soon to be professional athlete might want to work on your upper body strength. The NHL is an unforgiving place and when a big 210lb defender is trying to lift your stick or knock you over, you might want to be able to fight that off. Second he was good in the OHL. He caused havoc for opponents and was unafraid to drive to the net. If he is that good while weighing 180lbs and not being to do a pullup, how good will he be at 200lbs? It does give us something to think about but in the grand scope of life him not being able to do it is less important then why he wasn't able to and how will he fix that.

So last year we had the Magnificent 7 and this year we have the Fantastic Four or the Fab Five. Wonder what next year will be?

I view the no pullup in a couple of ways. First that as a soon to be professional athlete might want to work on your upper body strength. The NHL is an unforgiving place and when a big 210lb defender is trying to lift your stick or knock you over, you might want to be able to fight that off. Second he was good in the OHL. He caused havoc for opponents and was unafraid to drive to the net. If he is that good while weighing 180lbs and not being to do a pullup, how good will he be at 200lbs? It does give us something to think about but in the grand scope of life him not being able to do it is less important then why he wasn't able to and how will he fix that.

If adding the strength needed to survive in the NHL reduces his speed and agility, he could potentially be worse. There's a reason runners are built like runners, that's the fastest body type. Changing his body type will change his game. It might not be a negative, but it could. What this shows is that he will certainly have to change his body type in the next few years.

I think that is the data point. Not a deal breaker, not a nothing piece of trivia, just a data point.

If adding the strength needed to survive in the NHL reduces his speed and agility, he could potentially be worse. There's a reason runners are built like runners, that's the fastest body type. Changing his body type will change his game. It might not be a negative, but it could. What this shows is that he will certainly have to change his body type in the next few years.

I think that is the data point. Not a deal breaker, not a nothing piece of trivia, just a data point.

Valid point for sure. Do you think that Reinhart will also have to change his body type? He is 6'1" and needs some bulk but looks to have really long arms. Thoughts?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.