Job Performance Poll: Head Coach Ron Rolston

IKnowPhysics

Job Performance Poll: Head Coach Ron Rolston  

101 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale from 1 to 10, rate the CURRENT AND PAST PERFORMANCE of Ron Rolston as the Head Coach of the Buffalo Sabres:

2. 2. On a scale from 1 to 10, rate the EXPECTED FUTURE PERFORMANCE of Ron Rolston as the Head Coach of the Buffalo Sabres:

3. 3. On a scale from 1 to 10, rate the RESPONSIBILITY of Ron Rolston as the Head Coach of the Buffalo Sabres FOR THE CURRENT WIN/LOSS RECORD OF THE TEAM:

• 1 - Not Responsible at All for the Current Win/Loss Record of the Team
    • 5 - Somewhat Repsonsible for the Current Win/Loss Record of the Team
    • 10 - Entirely Responsible for the Current Win/Loss Record of the Team

Color me confused. When I said I don't find him responsible at all for our current record, I mean all I have to go by is his interim run last season, which I don't hold him responsible for at all.

Starting Wednesday, I will hold him highly, but not solely, responsible for our W L record moving forward.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Color me confused. When I said I don't find him responsible at all for our current record, I mean all I have to go by is his interim run last season, which I don't hold him responsible for at all.

Starting Wednesday, I will hold him highly, but not solely, responsible for our W L record moving forward.

GO BILLS!!!

That's alright. I figure judging The Ron is sort of open to interpretation a little now, but, as you said, it will start to clear up as we get underway. Some people may judge his performance last season, considering that he got thrown into things a little, and that's ok. Some people won't. No wrong answers here.

Definitely update your votes as you see fit.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I noticed improvement when he took over last year. I found the games more ' watchable ' if that means anything but perhaps that was because I was anticipating some sort of change to take place. I think things could have been worse and am thinking they may get worse. The front office has done little to improve the roster which we're being told is by design . I voted somewhat responsible (5) because although he is the coach with a better roster I have no doubt he'd have a better record but then again Lindy would have had a better record as well. Thats on Darcy imo.

He has been interim head coach and has yet to coach his first regular season game as the "permanent" coach. So as far as I'm concerned the current won/loss record is 0-0-0-0 and his job performance is TBD. I'm not voting because I think it is legitimately too early to tell what he can do with this team.

past performance i give him bad grades. I didn't like what i saw in his camera time on the blue and gold series and I was less then impressed with his style once he was called up.

current/future I give him a lot better grades. I have liked what I has seen and heard since camp opened and whilest not a fan I am getting more willing to say he might be the right guy to coach the youngens for a bit.

current standings........... there are none and last season was a black hole of shittastic that I don't think any coach could have fixed

I like Ron. I like how he acts in interviews, how he is with young guys, how he coaches, and especially how his team sounds. They don't sound like they did last year. They reacted to the Toronto thing completely differently than I would have thought and then after they played it off for the stupidity that it was. That all is stemming from the coach.

I deleted my vote because last years team was a nightmare and so was the season. This year the jury is still out so I shall wait and see... his first test to me will be who he names Captain and Assistants...

It's a BS poll that doesn't mean a thing, especially talking about a win-loss record. Last year was last year; it was transitional. Too early to say anything about this year.

It doesn't mean anything yet. That's why they're being left open so people can update their votes over time.

Hard to hold a coach solely responsible for the W/L record. You could be Scotty Bowman but if the Gm gives you the Mighty Ducks to play against Team Canada you are going to lose.

Not saying that happened here, but Rolston only gets to use the parts he's given.

I'm holding out to vote on him because I feel it's way too early. I was impressed with the salvage work he did with this roster last year, yet bored to tears with the style of play that resulted. Curious to see how he deals with all the youth in the lineup, and the organizational plan for it. Last year I feel he played a lineup that gave him the best chance to win (playing Porter and Flynn a ton). Will he have Grigs on a short leash out of fear for his own job, or does he have assurances from up on high that we can deal with growing pains? On an unrelated note, I liked Lindy for his interactions in the media and thought Ron held up the same way after the dust up in Toronto.

I rated his past/current performance rather poorly for two reasons. One, I don't think the way they got points last year is sustainable, and to the extent it can be sustained, I think it has a natural ceiling on how far it can take the team. Two, I'm not at all pleased with his current line combinations and apparent player usage. As for what the future holds? I have no idea, not enough to go on really, so I'm neutral on that.

• 3 weeks later...

I was OK with Ron last year because he seemed to give some structure to the sinking ship.

A despite his bland personality, he also seemed to say the right things about accountability and playing for each other.

I was certainly willing to give him a chance and was comfortable with the hire.

But I am starting to think he is a big part of the problem.

The lack of forecheck, the passive play in front of both nets, the abysmal passing on the rush, the poorly timed dump-ins.

The indecisiveness, the slow starts, the crappy power play, the sticking with ineffective line combinations.

We are not a talented team but these are things that can be improved by coaching.

Can any coach in a major sport survive eight regulation wins in 40-plus games?

I'm underwhelmed to say the least. The team is horrible with RR at the helm. They do nothing well, have slow game starts, and look lost for long stretches on an almost nightly basis. Looks to me like the veteran players are not buying in to this guy as Coach. They have a joke of a PP, lack on ice awareness, have poor defensive zone coverage, and have even veteran players making poor decisions.

The team is an embarrassing mess under Rolston. He and his gardening gloves are producing weeds thus far. :thumbdown:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

When a team is this bad there is nothing to like. Not one area of this team is better since he took over. Not one player is improved. That is the sign of good coach.

Also, has one veteran ever spoke about him highly? I may have missed a comment here or there but I don't recall at any point one player saying " coach has a great system we just need to execute" type BS. I think he could maybe be a decent HC someday but this not the situation for him. In over his head fixing this debacle.

Edited by sicknfla

When a team is this bad there is nothing to like. Not one area of this team is better since he took over. Not one player is improved. That is the sign of good coach.

Also, has one veteran ever spoke about him highly? I may have missed a comment here or there but I don't recall at any point one player saying " coach has a great system we just need to execute" type BS. I think he could maybe be a decent HC someday but this not the situation for him. In over his head fixing this debacle.

To add to this - the makeup of this team's offensive lines are not that different from late last year and yet, it is having more trouble this year getting shots on net and pucks in the net. I would say the offensive guys have taken a step backwards. System? Preparation? Either way it is on the coach and his assistants.

I'm ready to downgrade my votes on him at this point, even though I hope he sticks around for now. There's no way I want another coach falling on the sword and taking the fall for Darcy's ineptitude because with our luck the new guy will do exactly what Rolston did last year and that's provide just enough improvement for us to miss out on the chance to draft a true blue chip prospect in the draft. When Regier eventually gets ######-canned then I want the new GM to be able to bring in his own guy but for now I'm willing to let Rolston continue to flounder watching him try to make chicken salad out of chicken ######. He does a lot of things I disagree with coaching wise but when you look at the fact that we don't have a single center on this team (excluding the kids) who is capable of playing well defensively he's been dealt a bad hand.

Edited by Drunkard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.