Pegula tours hurricane damage

PASabreFan

''They're doing a heck of a job with the organization and the team,'' Pegula said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sabres-owner-pegula-optimistic-young-221940791--nhl.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lssbAwu-OtE

(He also said you can't put a timetable on winning a Cup — golly gee, only one team can win it! — and he wants Miller back.)

The gift that keeps on giving…

(He also said you can't put a timetable on winning a Cup — golly gee, only one team can win it! — and he wants Miller back.)

The gift that keeps on giving…

Actually, he said "You can't put a timetable on CONTENDING for a Stanley Cup"......which is pretty sad, because plenty of teams contend for a Cup almost every year. My favorite line though was talking about Darcy and Rolston, "Those guys are optimistic, I don't think they read what's being said about them." Classic! I think this is the problem....Pegula wants to show all the critics that the TonyRobbins/Paxil style of management will lead us all to glory, and he's probably going to stubbornly burn a half dozen years and tens of millions in doing so.

I like Terry.

And while I feel like I'm basically repeating posts that I've put here and there on several occasions over the last year or so, here goes:

The idea (perhaps not the one being urged here, but it's being implicated nonetheless) that he's some mastermind megalomaniac engaged in some sort of long con is getting really, really tired.

A (too) plainspoken, somehow sorta naive billionaire bought a professional sports franchise in early 2011 -- one that was near and dear to his heart (I believe him) -- and, in what can be fairly characterized as a euphoric ("drunk," if you will) state, said a bunch of over-the-top stuff intended to let fans know that the new ownership was going to take a different tack than the old ownership -- so he waxed poetic (well, as poetic as Terry waxes) about the purpose of this franchise is to win the Cup and that he can make money by drilling wells, where's Perreault, yadda yadda.

A few years later, he has a different view of things. Frankly, he's sobered up a bit. He appreciates that, while the purpose of your franchise may be to win a cup, it's incredibly difficult to put yourself in a position to do so. He took a hard run at an immediate payoff in 2011. It didn't work. So he's re-tooling and hoping for the best. And his business people have apparently explained to him that he does the franchise (and his fellow owners (whatever)) a disservice if he just does nothing but pump his own fortune into the team -- the thing's gotta be able to be a self-sustaining entity in order to survive and flourish long-term. So, yes, there are some *gasp* very commercial, revenue-driven activities going on in and around Hockey Heaven.

The legitimate gripes with Terry are that (1) he's too loyal to his people (and therefore too reluctant to make a change at the top) and (2) he's arguably too close to the personnel-/roster-evaluation process.

And you know what? I'm mostly reconciled with those gripes. With apologies to Professor Pangloss, the world is a flawed place (was that d4rk's line?) and you take the good with the bad. Pegula's good far outweighs the bad.

Go Sabres.

Actually, he said "You can't put a timetable on CONTENDING for a Stanley Cup"......which is pretty sad, because plenty of teams contend for a Cup almost every year.

this is precisely my point.

it was nothing short of hubris to guarantee a Cup. there's a reason it is the most difficult trophy in all of sport to win. the best you can do is put yourself in a position to contend, legitimately contend -- the balance must be left to good fortune. just ask jay mckee.

EDIT: i also thought it made some sense when Chz chimed in that Ted may be working furiously to increase HRR so that the salary cap can go up and Terry can spend more kigash.

I like Terry.

And while I feel like I'm basically repeating posts that I've put here and there on several occasions over the last year or so, here goes:

The idea (perhaps not the one being urged here, but it's being implicated nonetheless) that he's some mastermind megalomaniac engaged in some sort of long con is getting really, really tired.

A (too) plainspoken, somehow sorta naive billionaire bought a professional sports franchise in early 2011 -- one that was near and dear to his heart (I believe him) -- and, in what can be fairly characterized as a euphoric ("drunk," if you will) state, said a bunch of over-the-top stuff intended to let fans know that the new ownership was going to take a different tack than the old ownership -- so he waxed poetic (well, as poetic as Terry waxes) about the purpose of this franchise is to win the Cup and that he can make money by drilling wells, where's Perreault, yadda yadda.

A few years later, he has a different view of things. Frankly, he's sobered up a bit. He appreciates that, while the purpose of your franchise may be to win a cup, it's incredibly difficult to put yourself in a position to do so. He took a hard run at an immediate payoff in 2011. It didn't work. So he's re-tooling and hoping for the best. And his business people have apparently explained to him that he does the franchise (and his fellow owners (whatever)) a disservice if he just does nothing but pump his own fortune into the team -- the thing's gotta be able to be a self-sustaining entity in order to survive and flourish long-term. So, yes, there are some *gasp* very commercial, revenue-driven activities going on in and around Hockey Heaven.

The legitimate gripes with Terry are that (1) he's too loyal to his people (and therefore too reluctant to make a change at the top) and (2) he's arguably too close to the personnel-/roster-evaluation process.

And you know what? I'm mostly reconciled with those gripes. With apologies to Professor Pangloss, the world is a flawed place (was that d4rk's line?) and you take the good with the bad. Pegula's good far outweighs the bad.

Go Sabres.

Thank you. Can we close the thread now before it goes down the same path every one of these do?

I like Terry.

Go Sabres.

it was nothing short of hubris to guarantee a Cup. there's a reason it is the most difficult trophy in all of sport to win. the best you can do is put yourself in a position to contend, legitimately contend -- the balance must be left to good fortune. just ask jay mckee.

EDIT: i also thought it made some sense when Chz chimed in that Ted may be working furiously to increase HRR so that the salary cap can go up and Terry can spend more kigash.

Terry is the guy who buys his first muscle car, burns through the clutch in the first month racing everyone, and then realizes that he probably shouldn't do that. I can't fault him for it. He got his hands on a shiny new toy and wanted to show it off. He built a lot of hype because he could afford to, and now despite the monumental fall the hype train took, things are still on the upswing.

He swung and hit it foul. The count is 0-1.

I like Terry.

Go Sabres.

Really appreciate this perspective, Aud Smell.

GO SABRES!!!

I like Terry.

Go Sabres.

I've also come around to this take on things as well. I don't fault the guy for being excited about the possibilities when he first bought the team and perhaps overstating what he had hoped to accomplish. I kind of bought in although I realized at the time it wouldn't be that easy. I'm much more excited about the way the team is going about trying to accomplish those same goals now with the rebuild through the draft etc. I think they're doing it right this time so I take him at his word. Good post aud.

Terry is the guy who buys his first muscle car, burns through the clutch in the first month racing everyone, and then realizes that he probably shouldn't do that. I can't fault him for it. He got his hands on a shiny new toy and wanted to show it off. He built a lot of hype because he could afford to, and now despite the monumental fall the hype train took, things are still on the upswing.

He swung and hit it foul. The count is 0-1.

It's interesting you use that analogy, because Terry then ACTUALLY proceeded to buy dozens of muscle cars, and out of blind loyalty allowed dozens of employees, many of which are incompetent in their jobs, as well as their family members, to DRIVE those muscle cars and burn out the clutch as well as cause all kinds of other damage. This ACTUALLY happened......and you know what, he can do whatever he wants because it's his money. But the funny thing is...he's running the hockey team the exact same way. He has let people burn out transmission after transmission, and keeps handing over the keys. There is only ONE Buffalo Sabres franchise, and I actually have a vested interest in it....so I take offense at times that such a seemingly lackluster approach is going on. And I don't necessarily think Terry Pegula is a con-man.....far from it. I feel he doesn't have the discernment to know who or what is actually "good", or has any clue how the actions and policies of the rest of Status Quo affect many people. If that isn't the case, then yes, he is a liar....but I don't see that in him. I see someone who had issues in life and got his "Tyler Myers reprogramming" somewhere along the decades, and he ended up with tons of cash, and now he's as loopy as WIlly Wonka. I like Terry Pegula......as a person and as a family I appreciate his charitable works and yes, even his financial commitment to the city.........but as owner of the Buffalo Sabres.........I think we are God Blessed Doomed!

It's interesting you use that analogy, because Terry then ACTUALLY proceeded to buy dozens of muscle cars, and out of blind loyalty allowed dozens of employees, many of which are incompetent in their jobs, as well as their family members, to DRIVE those muscle cars and burn out the clutch as well as cause all kinds of other damage. This ACTUALLY happened......and you know what, he can do whatever he wants because it's his money. But the funny thing is...he's running the hockey team the exact same way. He has let people burn out transmission after transmission, and keeps handing over the keys. There is only ONE Buffalo Sabres franchise, and I actually have a vested interest in it....so I take offense at times that such a seemingly lackluster approach is going on. And I don't necessarily think Terry Pegula is a con-man.....far from it. I feel he doesn't have the discernment to know who or what is actually "good", or has any clue how the actions and policies of the rest of Status Quo affect many people. If that isn't the case, then yes, he is a liar....but I don't see that in him. I see someone who had issues in life and got his "Tyler Myers reprogramming" somewhere along the decades, and he ended up with tons of cash, and now he's as loopy as WIlly Wonka. I like Terry Pegula......as a person and as a family I appreciate his charitable works and yes, even his financial commitment to the city.........but as owner of the Buffalo Sabres.........I think we are God Blessed Doomed!

Shut up.

I like Terry.

Go Sabres.

Great post.

I feel he doesn't have the discernment to know who or what is actually "good"

That is the crux of the thing. In my view, the optimistic/sunny statements he makes publicly are presumably different (or at least less nuanced) from the confidences he keeps with his inner circle.

Lindy wasn't going anywhere, except then he did. Pegula may be more patient than some would like, but there is a limit to it.

We'll see. It's only his second full season (I know, I know. It's his fourth year) as owner. A season that hasn't even started yet, I might add. I'm willing to wait until I see if we are moving in the right direction by the end of the season to pass my judgement on Terry.

We'll see. It's only his second full season (I know, I know. It's his fourth year) as owner. A season that hasn't even started yet, I might add. I'm willing to wait until I see if we are moving in the right direction by the end of the season to pass my judgement on Terry.

Don't be led astray! The time for condemnation is now! The only future is doom and gloom! DOOM AND GLOOM I SAY! THE END DAYS ARE UPON US! MASTERBLASTER RUN BARTER TOWN.

I'd be much more concerned about Pegula's ownership if you weren't making posts like this. I've seen you put together a hypothetical roster enough times to know you don't know how to build a winner any more than you allege Pegula does.

That is the crux of the thing. In my view, the optimistic/sunny statements he makes publicly are presumably different (or at least less nuanced) from the confidences he keeps with his inner circle.

Lindy wasn't going anywhere, except then he did. Pegula may be more patient than some would like, but there is a limit to it.

I appreciate your first post. I know you always look towards the logic and reason in what is said, which is why I wanted to be clearer on separating Pegula the person from Pegula the owner. Some have such a chip that they either don't want to understand what is actually being said. I think Lindy was a case of his inner circle begging him to do something because the fans were getting ready to burn the place down. I was as excited as anyone when Pegula first came to town. I just have seen this situation so many times before. Still crossing my fingers he doesn't lose TOTAL interest before he realizes the foundation is faulty. Ted and Cliff don't care, they're always going to be able to work projects. Darcy doesn't care, he's another year and another $1.5 million closer to retirement. Dipofi doesn't care, they are raising prices left and right and one of the benefits of having such a "positive" and well-funded owner is don't be surprised if checks are being written to Acme Media Inc., and Acme Construction Inc., etc.....I bet OSP audited the freaking books himself! Nowadays.......my guess is not so much. Unfortunately we are in a timeframe where huffing and puffing by any critic isn't going to get things done, but it's always nice to render opinion.

Shut up.

You are just taking this to the derivative of "if you pretend everything is sunny....and clouds don't exist...then it is sunny"....that has us in this predicament in the first place.

Aud's post is perhaps the best I've read on Pegula.

I think he tried and failed using the Dan Snyder method and now has set things up where he is using his cash to invest in a more tried and true method of franchise building.

Some of the things that should help the product on the ice long-term.

* More than doubling the scouting department

* Drastically expanding the coaching staff, including skating, mental skills and strength and conditioning coaches

* Setting up a top-notch training facility in Buffalo and bringing the kids in all summer to use it.

* Investment into technology as a training tool

* The scouting combine

* Development camp

* Purchasing the Amerks

* Investing in veteran leaders for the Amerks

* Acquiring multiple draft picks

* Signing high draft picks early

* Using minor league contracts as a way to skirt the 50-contract limit

* Creating a progressive, attractive work environment for players and staff.

These are all smart, base-building ideas for a strong organization.

These steps won't necessarily lead to instant success, but I do think they should be very helpful in establishing a Detroit-like atmosphere here long-term.

I have no personal stake in his Buffalo business activities, but from a continent away it seems like the critics are holding Pegula to an impossibly high standard and looking the proverbial gift horse in the mouth.

To me Pegula is easily the best owner since the Knoxes. I'm pulling for him.

Yeah, he comes across as kinda naive and a little goofy, but his only real criticism can be summed up in one word: Darcy.

Still crossing my fingers he doesn't lose TOTAL interest before he realizes the foundation is faulty.

What's the question here? Will he lose interest before he realizes that Darcy needs to move on and a new hockey vision needs to be installed? If that is the question, then my guess is there is almost zero chance of Pegula's losing any interest whatsoever on that sort of time frame.

The larger question of whether a time may come where the shine is just completely off this adventure for him is an interesting one. I do get the sense that there is an expectation -- I'm not sure whose -- of fairly unequivocal adoration for all that is being done at the foot of Washington. If things continue to move forward in a fits-and-starts manner and the natives grow restless, I can envision a scenario where Pegula would basically take the view of "You know what?! F##K IT! You people are ingrates and idiots."

Ted and Cliff don't care ... Darcy doesn't care ... Dipofi doesn't care

I don't think that's a fair assessment. At a minimum, these guys "care" by virtue of their egos, professional pride. And I'm confident that their "care" for the franchise goes way beyond those kinds of factors.

and one of the benefits of having such a "positive" and well-funded owner is don't be surprised if checks are being written to Acme Media Inc., and Acme Construction Inc., etc.

The who now?

I believe Ted cares.

Benson would be more distant as he told Pegula NOT to purchase the Sabres and do this. Doesn't mean he doesn't care though. Although I can see him saying I told you not to do thios. It's just not worth the hassle.

You are just taking this to the derivative of "if you pretend everything is sunny....and clouds don't exist...then it is sunny"....that has us in this predicament in the first place.

Right here. I despise this. I despise the thought that "positive" fans and their dedication to the team enabled management to tread in the waters of mediocrity.

It's just nonsense.

Archived