Pegula tours hurricane damage

PASabreFan

is it really a public poll when your hiding behind a username and the internet? I could see the logic of it steering votes if we where displaying our real names and/or we all worked in the same place. But it's not and as far as I know none of us do. If your gonna role play a vote on a message board based on your forum personality then I think I am safe to say that you got more problems then a simple public verses private vote on a forum.........

is it really a public poll when your hiding behind a username and the internet? I could see the logic of it steering votes if we where displaying our real names and/or we all worked in the same place. But it's not and as far as I know none of us do. If your gonna role play a vote on a message board based on your forum personality then I think I am safe to say that you got more problems then a simple public verses private vote on a forum.........

On here we are our internet persona. As mentioned upthread, this was the offseason of "gotcha". Public polling gives some meathead the opportunity to throw your vote back in your face at a later time. Personally, I couldn't care less about that. But I could see it tempering someone who doesn't want the "gotcha" moment.

On here we are our internet persona. As mentioned upthread, this was the offseason of "gotcha". Public polling gives some meathead the opportunity to throw your vote back in your face at a later time. Personally, I couldn't care less about that. But I could see it tempering someone who doesn't want the "gotcha" moment.

so your saying someone sometime in the future may or may not put my poll in someones face......... do i have to buy them dinner first?

Or are you saying someone may or may not throw my own poll in my own face......... I would make sure to buy myself dinner first in this case.

That's pretty high effort, but damned if I'm not interested to see how approval rating tracks recent win percentage.

For being one of the "Advanced Stat" Ooompa Loompas......you sure are setting up for failure. If you want to get a snapshot throughout different points of the year, ask the same question in a different thread. Otherwise you will have "dead" votes contaminating your poll if you expect people to change it. When the Sabres start 5-15.....and half the people leave the board, there will be a skewed number of "positive" votes still counted from those who don't even care anymore and would certainly have changed their vote.

The frequency doesn't have to be excessive to generate a relatively useful plot. Take a poll every 10.25 games the Sabres play, plus the current pre-season polls, plus an end-of-season poll, and you'll have 10 sample points. Not large, obviously, but significant enough for our loose purposes here.

The frequency doesn't have to be excessive to generate a relatively useful plot. Take a poll every 10.25 games the Sabres play, plus the current pre-season polls, plus an end-of-season poll, and you'll have 10 sample points. Not large, obviously, but significant enough for our loose purposes here.

That's what I was thinking. Close these polls before the game on Wednesday, repeat at Game 20, 41, 60, 82 and after the season (being optimistic; see what I did there?).

Then those who want to criticize him should employ their testicles.

Just kidding. I don't think it's a big deal, don't see why others would unless the board is packed with Sabres employees.

I'm missing employees. Please don't swing your poll in my face.

Uh, like 95% of us here. Is this your first day here? This has been the Summer of the Gotcha.
As mentioned upthread, this was the offseason of "gotcha". Public polling gives some meathead the opportunity to throw your vote back in your face at a later time. Personally, I couldn't care less about that. But I could see it tempering someone who doesn't want the "gotcha" moment.

fair enough, fair enough. that gotcha-ism isn't my style around here, so apparently i was under-selling the draw for a lot of regulars.

even at that: who the funk cares? if, in fact, the public nature of the poll is causing posters to modify or calibrate their votes because they -- fear? -- a rival poster giving them a message board face-wash, then ... well, ...

i-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore-11372-400x250.jpg

is it really a public poll when your hiding behind a username and the internet? ... If your gonna role play a vote on a message board based on your forum personality then I think I am safe to say that

you got more problems then a simple public verses private vote on a forum.........

hear, hear.

On here we are our internet persona.

for all that that's worth. seriously, man. (and i know you're not defending it.)

to anyone who might be fairly characterized by what swampD and weave are saying, i'd just offer up a reminder (?!) that this is an anonymous internet message board. about a professional hockey team.

IMO, most if not all posters create posts here containing their unvarnished opinions; i'd like to think everyone would respond to a poll with the same candor.

fair enough, fair enough. that gotcha-ism isn't my style around here, so apparently i was under-selling the draw for a lot of regulars.

even at that: who the funk cares? if, in fact, the public nature of the poll is causing posters to modify or calibrate their votes because they -- fear? -- a rival poster giving them a message board face-wash, then ... well, ...

i-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore-11372-400x250.jpg

hear, hear.

for all that that's worth. seriously, man. (and i know you're not defending it.)

to anyone who might be fairly characterized by what swampD and weave are saying, i'd just offer up a reminder (?!) that this is an anonymous internet message board. about a professional hockey team.

IMO, most if not all posters create posts here containing their unvarnished opinions; i'd like to think everyone would respond to a poll with the same candor.

All logical and reasonable points, to be sure, but still: I will predict for the record that the public nature of the polls will have a chilling effect on the # of respondents. (And I say that as one who's already responded to a couple of them.)

I'll also say that while I appreciate my anonymity here, I do care about my credibility within this group, and I'm probably not the only one who feels that way -- so I can understand how a concern about being a "gotcha" victim might affect someone's willingness to respond.

How's that for beating a dead horse?

Holy hell. Speak your mind and be willing to admit when you are wrong. Only through discussion will the truth be discovered.

Or sit there a coward and go with the flow...

Aimed at everyone worried about how they will be perceived...

Holy hell. Speak your mind and be willing to admit when you are wrong. Only through discussion will the truth be discovered.

Or sit there a coward and go with the flow...

Aimed at everyone worried about how they will be perceived...

I'm with you. I want people to see where I'm voting. Just looking over the polls already there are some surprises. I like that transparency.

Hire the best hockey people in the world (no salary cap for that, right) and get out of the way. Where am I wrong?

Since this thread has sorta taken over for the "trial" thread, I'm posting this here. We've long kicked around the question of whether and to what extent other teams' owners involve themselves in various phases of team management.

PA's war cry for a while (and, yeah, I opened the door to the "straw man" stuff) has been to the effect that an owner who claims to want what Pegula wants would assemble a cohesive group of the world's greatest hockey minds and then, more or less, retreat to the seclusion that a billion dollars can buy. At one point, PA, you'd even talked about what you would do in Pegula's position -- and, IIRC, the vision involved your being reclusive, perhaps even an enigma to the fanbase..

Here's a link and a picture of the Bruins media day before they play their opener. Jeremy Jacobs is front and center, talking sh!t about how the Bruins aren't playing for second place.

https://twitter.com/delawarenorth/status/385460895696302080/photo/1

BVlupGxIQAA4m5G.jpg

I offer this in an open-ended spirit. This is just an opening day presser -- NBD, I suppose.

But we'd asked in the "Trial" thread: How do other owners in the NHL behave when it comes to involving themselves in their team's management? Specifically, how do the owners of teams that have recently won the Cup behave in these regards?

It's difficult to keep track of such matters for other teams, but I am going to do what I can to keep an eye out for these kinds of tidbits.

I'm not sure what that photo proves. But I like the idea of studying other owners.

We could start with one of Terry's role models, Mike Ilitch, who bought the Wings in 1982 and quickly replaced his GM with Jimmy Devellano.

Obviously, there's plenty of opportunity for cherry picking on both sides of this argument.

I'm not sure what that photo proves. But I like the idea of studying other owners.

We could start with one of Terry's role models, Mike Ilitch, who bought the Wings in 1982 and quickly replaced his GM with Jimmy Devellano.

Obviously, there's plenty of opportunity for cherry picking on both sides of this argument.

I don't know that the photo proves anything. But it certainly cuts against the paradigm of a reclusive and wealthy owner who signs the checks, recruits the best hockey minds, and is otherwise neither seen nor heard.

I hadn't realized that Illitch bought the team in 1982. A cut and paste, FWIW

1985-1986 80 17 57 6 40 Missed Playoffs 1984-1985 80 27 41 12 66 Lost Norris Division Semifinals 1983-1984 80 31 42 7 69 Lost Norris Division Semifinals 1982-1983 80 21 44 15 57 Missed Playoffs 1981-1982 80 21 47 12 54 Missed Playoffs

Holy Dunkin Donuts!

that brand rules new england.

I don't know that the photo proves anything. But it certainly cuts against the paradigm of a reclusive and wealthy owner who signs the checks, recruits the best hockey minds, and is otherwise neither seen nor heard.

I hadn't realized that Illitch bought the team in 1982. A cut and paste, FWIW

1985-1986 80 17 57 6 40 Missed Playoffs 1984-1985 80 27 41 12 66 Lost Norris Division Semifinals 1983-1984 80 31 42 7 69 Lost Norris Division Semifinals 1982-1983 80 21 44 15 57 Missed Playoffs 1981-1982 80 21 47 12 54 Missed Playoffs

Looks like Illitch didn't make much noise as an owner his first few years, either. Even in Hockeytown.

GO SABRES!!!

Archived