Pegula tours hurricane damage

PASabreFan

StormCloud's forecasting is better than fricken Don Paul's!

If you like the direction things are going under Pegula, fine. Enjoy. Upswing? Really? Well, I guess even a topped ball into the pond ends with one of those, so it's all good. We've apparently gone from believing the Sabres would be contenders to being satisfied with the team going from bad to slightly better.

This owner is loaded, and he's stupid. In the words of Saul Berenson, he is the smartest and the stupidest ###### person he's ever met. To complete the political analogy, when Terry said the franchise's reason for existence is to win a Stanley Cup, YOU LIED. Its purpose is to glorify and satisfy Terry. What a shame.

1) Local forecasters are the least accurate, so don't strain yourself with those back pats ;)

2) I don't think there's a single person satisfied with where the team is at. Talk about straw men. Do you think a contender is built instantly, or over time? If it's the former, there's no discussion to be had. If its the latter, then judging the team to be improving, and being happy about it, should not be confused with satisfaction with the current state.

3) The thing about a lie is there has to be some factual evidence to support the accusation. There is nothing resembling incontrovertible proof that the team exists for Pegula's ego. For every Harbor center you want to point to, there's a scouting increase or facilities upgrade to counterpoint with.

3) There is nothing resembling incontrovertible proof that the team exists for Pegula's ego. For every Harbor center you want to point to, there's a scouting increase or facilities upgrade to counterpoint with.

quite true. but there have been some indications that we could have some of that going on. to a point PA makes all the time: there is an arguable inconsistency in pegula's stated desire to be focused on the cup to the exclusion of all other things and the extent to which he involves himself in building a team that is capable of doing that. that argument doesn't really persuade me, but there is logic to it. there are parts of pegula's persona that have, from time to time, had me thinking "what is going on with this guy?" [e.g., the scolding of the editorial board, the "what mistakes has darcy made?" line.]

as is almost always the case in life, there's no simple answer. pegula's motives are almost certainly mixed. and some of them are perhaps even unknown to him -- operating in the background as he hums along. the question is what the ratio of that mix is, and whether it's apt to be the sort of blend that will give us the best chance of seeing the sabres win the cup.

i have no clue what the motives might be and what the ratios of the blend are. no clue. but i don't dismiss out of hand that the blend might be out of balance at the moment.

quite true. but there have been some indications that we could have some of that going on. to a point PA makes all the time: there is an arguable inconsistency in pegula's stated desire to be focused on the cup to the exclusion of all other things and the extent to which he involves himself in building a team that is capable of doing that. that argument doesn't really persuade me, but there is logic to it. there are parts of pegula's persona that have, from time to time, had me thinking "what is going on with this guy?" [e.g., the scolding of the editorial board, the "what mistakes has darcy made?" line.]

as is almost always the case in life, there's no simple answer. pegula's motives are almost certainly mixed. and some of them are perhaps even unknown to him -- operating in the background as he hums along. the question is what the ratio of that mix is, and whether it's apt to be the sort of blend that will give us the best chance of seeing the sabres win the cup.

i have no clue what the motives might be and what the ratios of the blend are. no clue. but i don't dismiss out of hand that the blend might be out of balance at the moment.

Sure it's possible he has less than savory motives. It's also possible being in the city a little more changed his initial intentions. Maybe he recognized he had a unique opportunity to improve the city in a way others couldn't? Saying he lied on day one has such a negative connotation.

And I'll just say it again: everyone takes actions to benefit themselves, whether that's a tangible financial benefit or an intangible warm fuzzy feeling. Given Pegula's past philanthropy, it's just as likely he's doing the Harborcenter for the warm feeling as it is for self-promotion.

It's pleasant to see a ###### first post get destroyed by well-thought-out, well-worded responses from several different posters and its only defense be rooted in insanity.

I think the board has officially entered its Age of Reason. Onward to enlightenment!

I'm kinda thinking that a well-thought-out first post invoked some pretty good discourse here.

Here's what I know..

Every morning my son wakes up and asks if the Sabres are playing tonight. He eventually learns the schedule, but until then, he asks me.

When it's possible we sit down and watch the game (for as long as I let him watch).

During that time he's excited. He's upset when they lose and play poorly and excited when they win. Regardless of whether they win or lose, he's excited to watch the next game. If he doesn't get to see a game he gets upset because he really looks forward to watching hockey and especially the Sabres.

He can't wait for the season to start. He wasn't happy at the end of last season but he eagerly anticipated the start of this season. He'll do it again next year and the year after that and why? It's not because he's some naive, overly optimistic, blinded well-wisher. It's because he is a child who sees hockey for what it is.. a game. He doesn't need to understand the monetary aspects of it and neither do we. The money is entertaining to debate but to let the conversation disintegrate into what it has become on this board so many times is sad.

We are all adults. We have lost sight of the fact that this is a game. If you love the game and spend money on it then you don't really care too much what the team does. You love the game for what it is. If you don't spend money on the Sabres then why care at all how they spend it?

It's a game. See it from a child's eye again and just enjoy the sport of hockey. Be thankful that every time a player scores he's not out there thumping his chest. Be thankful that every time someone delivers a big hit they don't stop and do a dance, even if they are losing.

Sure, you don't have to do it. But why even bother trying to ruin what other people love? If people want to be optimistic about the Sabres then what's the harm in it? None of the decisions, NOT A SINGLE ONE, is ever going to be made because of what you say on this board. The general public does not agree with the naysayers here.

If you want to be miserable about the team, its owner, its President, its GM, and the players then be miserable but keep it to yourself. There's enough misery in this world.

Here's what I know..

Every morning my son wakes up and asks if the Sabres are playing tonight. He eventually learns the schedule, but until then, he asks me.

When it's possible we sit down and watch the game (for as long as I let him watch).

During that time he's excited. He's upset when they lose and play poorly and excited when they win. Regardless of whether they win or lose, he's excited to watch the next game. If he doesn't get to see a game he gets upset because he really looks forward to watching hockey and especially the Sabres.

He can't wait for the season to start. He wasn't happy at the end of last season but he eagerly anticipated the start of this season. He'll do it again next year and the year after that and why? It's not because he's some naive, overly optimistic, blinded well-wisher. It's because he is a child who sees hockey for what it is.. a game. He doesn't need to understand the monetary aspects of it and neither do we. The money is entertaining to debate but to let the conversation disintegrate into what it has become on this board so many times is sad.

We are all adults. We have lost sight of the fact that this is a game. If you love the game and spend money on it then you don't really care too much what the team does. You love the game for what it is. If you don't spend money on the Sabres then why care at all how they spend it?

It's a game. See it from a child's eye again and just enjoy the sport of hockey. Be thankful that every time a player scores he's not out there thumping his chest. Be thankful that every time someone delivers a big hit they don't stop and do a dance, even if they are losing.

Sure, you don't have to do it. But why even bother trying to ruin what other people love? If people want to be optimistic about the Sabres then what's the harm in it? None of the decisions, NOT A SINGLE ONE, is ever going to be made because of what you say on this board. The general public does not agree with the naysayers here.

If you want to be miserable about the team, its owner, its President, its GM, and the players then be miserable but keep it to yourself. There's enough misery in this world.

So, now we can't complain about our hockey team on a hockey message board?

:wallbash:

You can also choose not to read or respond to it.

I find it interesting that the people most upset about this administration were the ones more likely to keep this conversation civil. Just an observation.

He wasn't happy at the end of last season but he eagerly anticipated the start of this season. He'll do it again next year and the year after that and why? It's not because he's some naive, overly optimistic, blinded well-wisher. It's because he is a child who sees hockey for what it is.. a game.

that's really good stuff, sir - thanks for it.

"They're optimistic. I don't think they read what is said about them." Straight out of the mouth of Terry Pegula. So....that implies Pegula DOES read what is said.....and he infers it's negative towards them. How do you add up all those factors and come with a straight face? And we did influence who Ted Black follows on Twitter at the very least.........the Sabres Telegraph more things than a Western Union circa 1942.

You say this like Terry and the Sabres should just roll over and accept the hate and vitriol. You want them on their hands and knees saying "Oh thank you for opening our eyes! We couldn't have done it without you and your opinions!"

If only Pegula were an African American, so many people here would have gladly started with the "racist" accusations long ago.

Wait a minute...all of you Pegula HATERS...HATERS GONNA HATE! You HATE WHITE PEOPLE. RACISTS! FOR SHAME.

3) The thing about a lie is there has to be some factual evidence to support the accusation. There is nothing resembling incontrovertible proof that the team exists for Pegula's ego. For every Harbor center you want to point to, there's a scouting increase or facilities upgrade to counterpoint with.

The Harbor Center reference is curious. The only criticism I might have made of it is that Terry and company came in saying they didn't want to be in the real estate development business — that they wanted only an "assist" on someone else's "goal" — then turned around and grabbed the puck. And maybe took their eye off the ball of more important work. But I don't point to the Harbor Center to support my position on this owner's mindset. I don't see the center as a monument to Terry's ego or anything.

My point is quite a bit finer. I see Terry's faith in Darcy as just that — Terry's faith. I think Terry's all about redemption, one of several almost Bibilical themes he and and his folks have hauled out at various times, right down to hockey heaven. The Sabres represent a test of Terry's personal and world view, even his business philosophy. Remember how he bragged about never losing an employee at East Resources? I think he'd rather do it his way and never make the playoffs than compromise his philosophy and win five Cups. That's why I argue that, under Pegula, the Sabres exist for more than one reason. (And I'm not even touching on the pretty evident point that Terry is fulfilling a fantasy of owning a professional sports team, and has behaved in almost a cliche fashion. Kids on the ice with him, flying to meet free agents, sitting with the GM, eating Crunch and Munch next to Darcy's office and so on.)

He lied? Was kind of a throwaway joke. Remember the right wing whack job who shouted that during BO's state of the union?

I have to admit, I still like feel like LTS' kid every training camp.

Even though my rational mind knows the team was terrible last year and likely won't be much better this year, in my heart, every year still has a "maybe this the year"

Maybe it's Don Edwards, or Scotty Bowman, or Dale McCourt and Mike Foligno or Tom Barasso, or Pierre Turgeon, or Pat Lafontaine, or that Hasek guy with the goofy playing style, or rough, tough Ted Nolan, or Ryan Miller, or Terry Pegula, or...

Someone someday is going to be that missing ingredient, that catalyst that pushes us over the top.

It doesn't stop me from criticizing the players and the decision-makers, but it is what keeps me coming back.

And I am glad it is still there.

You say this like Terry and the Sabres should just roll over and accept the hate and vitriol. You want them on their hands and knees saying "Oh thank you for opening our eyes! We couldn't have done it without you and your opinions!"

I'm going to haul out this post some late night in January, cold and snowy and depressing, when you pour some hate and vitriol on the Sabres after a 6-1 loss to Columbus. :)

The Harbor Center reference is curious. The only criticism I might have made of it is that Terry and company came in saying they didn't want to be in the real estate development business — that they wanted only an "assist" on someone else's "goal" — then turned around and grabbed the puck. And maybe took their eye off the ball of more important work.

this is another piece of the stormcloud gotcha-ism that i failed to fold into my recitation. on that one, too, there is no question that they came into town saying "no" to development. at some point that changed for them. i don't see how that signified anything. and i don't see how that distracted from the task of building a winning team; if anything, harbor center may have prevented terry from weighing in on personnel matters.

I think he'd rather do it his way and never make the playoffs than compromise his philosophy and win five Cups. That's why I argue that, under Pegula, the Sabres exist for more than one reason.

and this is a point worth making. i'm not sure it's on the mark, but it is thought-provoking. my response to this would be that, if what you say is true about how terry's vision for success is being implemented with the sabres, then i do not think that pegula would ever perceive or agree to an "either/or" dichotomy between "his way" and a path to multiple cups.

god willing, "his way" will allow for the success to come (or at least won't obstruct it if and when it's coming down the pipe).

i take your point, though. maybe pegula has a rigid a priori approach to owning the sabres (or any business for that matter) -- maybe he could use a little more a posteriori in his world view.

the next 2 years will tell the tale, i think.

#SomeSuffering

I have 2 major faults of Pegula-

1. He realized too late the real plan of attack. Build from within. His money wasn't going to buy us a Stanley Cup, and it def wasnt going to do it by throwing blind money everywhere, even at option B and C players, such as Leino after we lost out on Richards. It took him few years to settle down and build via the draft. It was money lost and it set us back. I do feel like we're atleast headed in the right direction, while 2 seasons ago, we all knew it would get worse before it got better.

2. He trusts his people way too much. Darcy Regier should of been fired. He was supposedly handcuffed under previous owners, and now, with a money loaded owner, he had free reigns. He failed big time. Why is he in charge of a whole new different way of thinking? Who knows?

But, it's a common practice among owners. Look at Boston. They were run like a complete joke for years. Then he finally spoke to someone in the know who changed his ways of thinking. My guess is, if this youth movement fails big time, not only will we see a new owner, but we will also see Black and Pegula both step very far from hockey operations, and the hockey department get loaded with hockey minds. We won't see them sitting at the roundtable at the draft or be at the war room on trade deadline days. He's still having his fun with the team and believes his people can bring the glory days back.

Actually, he said "You can't put a timetable on CONTENDING for a Stanley Cup"......which is pretty sad, because plenty of teams contend for a Cup almost every year. My favorite line though was talking about Darcy and Rolston, "Those guys are optimistic, I don't think they read what's being said about them." Classic! I think this is the problem....Pegula wants to show all the critics that the TonyRobbins/Paxil style of management will lead us all to glory, and he's probably going to stubbornly burn a half dozen years and tens of millions in doing so.

Added with Regier's "suffering" comment it appears the focus of management is to lower expectations of their fan base. There seems to have been a realization that they came into all of this with a little too much bravado that they now realize they can not backup. I agree with the sentiment that Pegula came into this thinking he could throw some money around and winning a Stanley Cup would be easy. I wouldn't be shocked to find out that deep down inside Pegula thought he would have a Stanley Cup Championship by this point.

I also agree that Pegula may have backed himself into a corner. Making the necessary changes needed to move forward, ie. replacing Regier, would be an admission that the critics were right from the beginning. Hopefully it won't take a half dozen years, unfortunately this franchise will remain where they are until Pegula makes that decision needed to move this franchise forward.

this is another piece of the stormcloud gotcha-ism that i failed to fold into my recitation. on that one, too, there is no question that they came into town saying "no" to development. at some point that changed for them. i don't see how that signified anything. and i don't see how that distracted from the task of building a winning team; if anything, harbor center may have prevented terry from weighing in on personnel matters.

and this is a point worth making. i'm not sure it's on the mark, but it is thought-provoking. my response to this would be that, if what you say is true about how terry's vision for success is being implemented with the sabres, then i do not think that pegula would ever perceive or agree to an "either/or" dichotomy between "his way" and a path to multiple cups.

god willing, "his way" will allow for the success to come (or at least won't obstruct it if and when it's coming down the pipe).

i take your point, though. maybe pegula has a rigid a priori approach to owning the sabres (or any business for that matter) -- maybe he could use a little more a posteriori in his world view.

the next 2 years will tell the tale, i think.

#SomeSuffering

I have no idea what the hell you are talking about, but I know I could use a little more posteriori in my world view. :)

Here's what I know..

Outstanding! I really appreciate this perspective as well.

GO BILLS!!!

Outstanding! I really appreciate this perspective as well.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes, it was great. But Terry Pegula didn't stand up on day one and say the reason for the Sabres' existence is to entertain children. Terry's a grown-up with a grown-up goal, and the fans are grown-up. I say let's have at it.

So, now we can't complain about our hockey team on a hockey message board?

:wallbash:

You can also choose not to read or respond to it.

I find it interesting that the people most upset about this administration were the ones more likely to keep this conversation civil. Just an observation.

I think a lot of this has gone far beyond complaining about the hockey team. It's complaining about an owner's ulterior motives for buying a team, real estate development, and more. But my point was more along the lines of taking a step back and viewing the Sabres like my son does. He doesn't worry about such things as ownership. He watches guys play a game that he loves to play himself. He watches games because they are entertaining. He gets upset when they lose but he doesn't internalize that feeling. He doesn't feel as though the Sabres owe him anything. He wakes up the next day ready for the next game.

People on here are acting as though they are owed something by Terry Pegula and the Sabres. No matter how much someone likes Terry Pegula or not he was a highly successful business man who was willing to purchase a team with the stipulation it remain in Buffalo. He is the reason, right now, that we even have a team to discuss. This team was purchased by Tom Golisano to save it and keep it in Buffalo. All told the Sabres have had ownership, barring the Rigas family, that was dedicated to this team AND the city.

There is a owner who is working to align hockey in Rochester and Buffalo and develop a strong youth hockey system. How is this bad? He has spent money on improving the arena, the surrounding area. He wants to make it a solid attraction and yet others would tear him down as though he's only doing this for his ego. So, if that's the case are we saying that his work will NOT improve Buffalo in any way? Is there no public value in the work he is doing around the arena? I'm struggling to see how anyone could say no.

Was his business built on actions that many find questionable? Yes, they were. But what ultimately gets left out of that argument is that no matter how big and bad Terry Pegula was the land owners were complicit in allowing it to happen. Just like in my own right now, where the argument is waging between residents and the local board to alter zoning laws so a Dunkin Donuts can be built. It's the gateway to more development but not necessarily the development people want. If people who live in this town are complicit with things then they will realize too late. They'll blame government (the one's they elected) and absolve themselves of their own involvement.

Bottom line, my idea on complaining about the Sabres is left to discussing ACTUAL events that ACTUALLY occur that we can discuss. Discussing how Stafford struggles to play at the professional level is something that actually occurs. Discussing the value of Ville Leino is something that is real.

Discussing that Terry Pegula came into ownership with the idea that he could spend some money, get some free agents, etc. is also perfectly valid. It's also prudent to say that at the time that might have worked, had the core been as strong as it was believed. We know now that they weren't. So, like in business, when a mistake happens you go back to the drawing board, adopt another strategy and move forward. The complaints about Regier can continue but there are suggestions that he's done a good job with talent recently. The arguments about the younger players are not as strong. There's more alignment in the discussion. I suspect this might have been true 5 years ago as well.

Still we'll all come to realize the reality of the player. At 22/23 they have potential, they may change, they could grow. At 27/28 we learn what kind of player they are. The arguments will change.

Finally, I can choose not to respond. I know that. Pointing it out is a bit short-sighted. You should ask yourself, why would I want to respond to this in the way that I did? You didn't ask but I will tell you. Because it used to be that I would fine 90% of the content posted on here of great value. There was great discussion on the handling of players by coaches, the talent level of players, discussion on the moves made by the Sabres. There was a breakdown of plays, coverages, and some solid hockey knowledge displayed. I enjoyed that. Lately it seems like 60% of the content on here are the same people making getting involved over a variety of topics and somehow distilling everything back into the same arguments. There's no value. There's simply "You are a hater" "You are blind". So, I commented in the hopes that we could take a step back and work towards creating the kind of board that I think would add value to a hockey conversation.

But you are right, if things continue I won't respond. I'll simply stop showing up.

Yes, it was great. But Terry Pegula didn't stand up on day one and say the reason for the Sabres' existence is to entertain children. Terry's a grown-up with a grown-up goal, and the fans are grown-up. I say let's have at it.

The point is if you don't have a child-like wonder about the games and your favorite teams that play them, you are in for a ton of misery or "suffering" since the odds are always against you winning the prize. Always.

The grown-up in me fully understands that people and their viewpoints evolve over time as they mature or regress or merely respond to previously unanticipated opportunities.

GO SABRES!!!

I think a lot of this has gone far beyond complaining about the hockey team. It's complaining about an owner's ulterior motives for buying a team, real estate development, and more. But my point was more along the lines of taking a step back and viewing the Sabres like my son does. He doesn't worry about such things as ownership. He watches guys play a game that he loves to play himself. He watches games because they are entertaining. He gets upset when they lose but he doesn't internalize that feeling. He doesn't feel as though the Sabres owe him anything. He wakes up the next day ready for the next game.

People on here are acting as though they are owed something by Terry Pegula and the Sabres. No matter how much someone likes Terry Pegula or not he was a highly successful business man who was willing to purchase a team with the stipulation it remain in Buffalo. He is the reason, right now, that we even have a team to discuss. This team was purchased by Tom Golisano to save it and keep it in Buffalo. All told the Sabres have had ownership, barring the Rigas family, that was dedicated to this team AND the city.

There is a owner who is working to align hockey in Rochester and Buffalo and develop a strong youth hockey system. How is this bad? He has spent money on improving the arena, the surrounding area. He wants to make it a solid attraction and yet others would tear him down as though he's only doing this for his ego. So, if that's the case are we saying that his work will NOT improve Buffalo in any way? Is there no public value in the work he is doing around the arena? I'm struggling to see how anyone could say no.

Was his business built on actions that many find questionable? Yes, they were. But what ultimately gets left out of that argument is that no matter how big and bad Terry Pegula was the land owners were complicit in allowing it to happen. Just like in my own right now, where the argument is waging between residents and the local board to alter zoning laws so a Dunkin Donuts can be built. It's the gateway to more development but not necessarily the development people want. If people who live in this town are complicit with things then they will realize too late. They'll blame government (the one's they elected) and absolve themselves of their own involvement.

Bottom line, my idea on complaining about the Sabres is left to discussing ACTUAL events that ACTUALLY occur that we can discuss. Discussing how Stafford struggles to play at the professional level is something that actually occurs. Discussing the value of Ville Leino is something that is real.

Discussing that Terry Pegula came into ownership with the idea that he could spend some money, get some free agents, etc. is also perfectly valid. It's also prudent to say that at the time that might have worked, had the core been as strong as it was believed. We know now that they weren't. So, like in business, when a mistake happens you go back to the drawing board, adopt another strategy and move forward. The complaints about Regier can continue but there are suggestions that he's done a good job with talent recently. The arguments about the younger players are not as strong. There's more alignment in the discussion. I suspect this might have been true 5 years ago as well.

Still we'll all come to realize the reality of the player. At 22/23 they have potential, they may change, they could grow. At 27/28 we learn what kind of player they are. The arguments will change.

Finally, I can choose not to respond. I know that. Pointing it out is a bit short-sighted. You should ask yourself, why would I want to respond to this in the way that I did? You didn't ask but I will tell you. Because it used to be that I would fine 90% of the content posted on here of great value. There was great discussion on the handling of players by coaches, the talent level of players, discussion on the moves made by the Sabres. There was a breakdown of plays, coverages, and some solid hockey knowledge displayed. I enjoyed that. Lately it seems like 60% of the content on here are the same people making getting involved over a variety of topics and somehow distilling everything back into the same arguments. There's no value. There's simply "You are a hater" "You are blind". So, I commented in the hopes that we could take a step back and work towards creating the kind of board that I think would add value to a hockey conversation.

But you are right, if things continue I won't respond. I'll simply stop showing up.

We can certainly find lots to criticize about the Sabres. Heaven knows the team has given us plenty to find fault with. But speculating on, and then expressing vitriol for, the motives we *think* Pegula has for owning the team seems rather absurd.

My $0.02 anyway.

Archived