Brayden Mcnabb

BuffaloBorn

So, I was just scanning through some of the projected lines here on the main page for the sabres main page as well as here, and I thought to myself, where does Mcnabb key into this whole thing?

He's got a big body, hard shot, good guy and everything, but is Pysyk really that much better than Mcnabb mid,long term?

After seeing Mcnabb's two goal performance and just overall from what I hear from this guy, he is not an AHLer

Here we run into the dilemna of slightly too much depth on D (if that's even possible) especially with Risto and Zadorov popping in within the next few seasons

Mcnabb has been in the system longer and I think he deserves a spot over the average Pysyk, who in my mind is another T.J Brennan or Marc-andre Gragnani

Does Mcnabb start opening night or Pysyk? Too early to tell?

Anyone else have any other thoughts?

post-3974-0-09275700-1379779697_thumb.jpg

I think you are drastically underestimating Mark Pysyk.

McNabb has a couple elements Pysyk lacks, but his overall game has a lot more holes.

McNabb is good at the point with his big shot, and is capable of some big hits, but he has heavy feet, the game sometimes moves too fast for him to process in our zone, and his outlets need work.

Pysyk is not bad at the point either, and won't hurt anybody, but he is a beautiful skater who closes gaps and anticipates very well defensively. He is also a great outlet passer and he makes smart decisions in all three zones.

I think McNabb has a future in this league as a 4/5 who gets second-unit power play time.

I think Pysyk will be a 2/3 who plays on both special teams and stays in the league for 15 years.

Pretty sure I posted this on here before, but in a lot of ways he reminds of his coach, Teppo Numminen.

This is the problem with having too many D. And contrary to the popular myth "You can never have too many defensemen.", yes you can.

Trading for Tallinder and drafting Risto and Zadarov only made the situation worse.

Here we have too many guys with not enough ice time to show us what they've got on the NHL level. McNabb will be an NHL defenseman, of that there is no doubt. But will he get the ice time to develop against NHL opponents? Pysyk is too, but so are the majority of the 12+ defensemen currently on the squad.

I just don't want to see NHL-ready defensemen wasting their time in Rochester when they can be in the NHL now developing their skill set against tough competition.

I think you are drastically underestimating Mark Pysyk.

McNabb has a couple elements Pysyk lacks, but his overall game has a lot more holes.

McNabb is good at the point with his big shot, and is capable of some big hits, but he has heavy feet, the game sometimes moves too fast for him to process in our zone, and his outlets need work.

Pysyk is not bad at the point either, and won't hurt anybody, but he is a beautiful skater who closes gaps and anticipates very well defensively. He is also a great outlet passer and he makes smart decisions in all three zones.

I think McNabb has a future in this league as a 4/5 who gets second-unit power play time.

I think Pysyk will be a 2/3 who plays on both special teams and stays in the league for 15 years.

Pretty sure I posted this on here before, but in a lot of ways he reminds of his coach, Teppo Numminen.

I may give you another pair of tickets for this post alone.

Pysyk is do vastly under-rated by some on this board.

As for McNabb, he has the tools that make the casual observer believe he could be a star but at least two hockey people reported that even with his 3 points the other day he was still the 6th best defenseman playing for the Sabres that night. He will play in this league but won't come close to Pysyk in value to his team.

This is how I see it shaking out:

Locks: Myers, Ehrhoff, Pysyk, Weber, Tallinder

Fighting for last 2 or 3 spots: Risto, McNabb, Ruhwedal, Sulzer, Zadorov

Darcy LOVES sending guys down with eligibility and HATES risking losing players on waivers. McNabb is the most likely candidate for Amerks because of this and the fact that Risto may have already made the team. Have Brayden and Rudy as you top pair in the A and call whichever one up that looks the best when needed.

FYI - the Sabres see Pysyk as their number 3 d-man - at the moment! That is huge. I love his game, it is quiet and won't draw attention to himself, but he will rarely make a mistake and will also chip in offensively

Darcy LOVES sending guys down with eligibility and HATES risking losing players on waivers. McNabb is the most likely candidate for Amerks because of this and the fact that Risto may have already made the team. Have Brayden and Rudy as you top pair in the A and call whichever one up that looks the best when needed.

You forgot Mcbain

Other than adding McBain this seems about right. They trust Sulzer so it is not nuts to add Sulzer to the "Locks" list. Frankly, I'd rather a young guy get the spot but the realist in me sez that Sulzer will be in Bufalo.

My money would be on the following on the opening day roster: Myers, Ehrhoff, Pysyk, Weber, Tallinder, Risto, Sulzer, and McBain. I couldn't care less about the last two being on the roster but that is what I expect to see.

Everything that is said about Pysyk makes me think Teppo Numminen. I really hope Teppo can work some magic with him.

I was at the Game Saturday, IMO Pysyk was one of the best players on the ice.

His Point-to-Vowel Ratio is astronomical.

Dudacek and Tom deserve credit for being out in front on this one. I'm in as well -- Pysyk looks great.

Dudacek and Tom deserve credit for being out in front on this one. I'm in as well -- Pysyk looks great.

I'm glad you can remember who the early birds were on Pysyk. I haven't seen much of the preseason, but all indications from what I read are that he's going to make a jump this year.

Only reason Adam can still be here is waivers. He's done nothing, again.

Did not know Adam had to go through waivers. I'm not that familar with the rules... But if that's the case someone probably would take a chance on Adam if he's waived. Edit: we did get a fifth for brennan. perhaps we could get a sixth or seventh for Adam?

Archived