Brayden Mcnabb

BuffaloBorn

Sabres demote 6 to AHL Rochester

Monday, September 23, 2013 -- The Associated Press

NHL Coverage Sections: Monday, September 23, 2013

Author(s):

Associated Press

BUFFALO, N.Y. — Defensemen Brayden McNabb and Chad Ruhwedel were among six Buffalo Sabres assigned to the minors.

Also demoted to AHL Rochester on Monday were forwards Mike Zigomanis and Matt Ellis, defenseman Drew Bagnall and goalie Matt Hackett. Bagnall and Ellis must first clear waivers.

The moves came a little over a week before Buffalo opens the season at Detroit Oct. 2.

McNabb and Ruhwedel were both regarded as contenders to make the Sabres roster.

With two preseason games left, the Sabres (3-1-1) are still carrying nine defensemen. It's a group that includes rookie first-round draft picks Rasmus Ristolainen and Nikita Zadorov.

Buffalo is also carrying 18 forwards and two goalies, Ryan Miller and Jhonas Enroth.

Teams have until Sept. 30 to set their 23-player rosters Source URL: http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruins_nhl/nhl_coverage/2013/09/sabres_demote_6_to_ahl_rochester

I think that McNabb will soon be at the level where the AHL will no longer be challenging enough to sharpen his skills. That isn't the case now, but I think it soon can be.

And then what? Trade him after all the time, cost, and effort the Sabres have spent in developing him into an NHL class defenseman?

I hate to sound like a broken record, but this is the reason a team can have too many D.

I think that McNabb will soon be at the level where the AHL will no longer be challenging enough to sharpen his skills. That isn't the case now, but I think it soon can be.

And then what? Trade him after all the time, cost, and effort the Sabres have spent in developing him into an NHL class defenseman?

I hate to sound like a broken record, but this is the reason a team can have too many D.

Still down on Pysyk? What was that clever nickname you had for him? And how are the guys you wanted the Sabres to draft instead of him doing?

Dallas will, just so that Lindy can violently bludgeon him in the head again, causing deep psychological trauma not even felt by survivors of Auschwitz.

i laughed a lot more then this probaly deserved. I award you 7 internet points good sir

Me too, although I'm fresh out of internet points.

Although I worry McNabb could handle a regular spot on the Sabres roster I do wish the pipeline wasn't so crowded so we could find out. I didn't understand resigning Sulzer in the offseason. I didn't understand getting McBain back when we traded Sekera. I actually understand why we got Risto and Zadorov. I have no idea why we got Rhuwedel. Not to be unfair to a group of players but Sulzer, McBain, and Rhuwedel are extras that we simply didn't really need.

Although I worry McNabb could handle a regular spot on the Sabres roster I do wish the pipeline wasn't so crowded so we could find out. I didn't understand resigning Sulzer in the offseason. I didn't understand getting McBain back when we traded Sekera. I actually understand why we got Risto and Zadorov. I have no idea why we got Rhuwedel. Not to be unfair to a group of players but Sulzer, McBain, and Rhuwedel are extras that we simply didn't really need.

I think taking McBain's contract was the price, along with Reggie, for Carolina's pick, which was a high 2nd-rounder and which the Sabres used to take a player they seem to have wanted.

I think Sulzer was re-signed as a depth veteran -- having gotten rid of 3 veterans in the offseason, the Sabres' D group was pretty green (same goes for Tallinder).

As for Rudy, they signed him before the draft, so they didn't know at that time they were going to get 2 more young defensemen in the 1st round. And they probably had some doubts about McNabb.

I still don't see the problem with another season in the A, he's only been there two years. It's not like McNabb is some blue chip prospect either. He was a 3rd round pick with a ton of things he had to develop. Still on the list: decision making under duress, skating, and outlet passes. Maybe it was the injury, but he wasn't very good last year in the minors and hasn't been particularly impressive in preseason from what I've read.

Still down on Pysyk? What was that clever nickname you had for him? And how are the guys you wanted the Sabres to draft instead of him doing?

In your incessant drive to prove me wrong, you have tripped and fallen on your face once again.

I never degraded Pysyk because I didn't have any information about him. I was high on Tinordi in that draft because at the time he looked like the better player.

Everyone knows that kids that age can blossom or fail unexpectedly. I was simply voicing my opinion on information I knew at that time. There is no question that Pysyk has surprised everyone - even an top expert hockey maven like yourself.

Talking about my draft preferences, no mention of my condemnation for the choice of Kassian over Kulikov?

I thought not.

I still don't see the problem with another season in the A, he's only been there two years. It's not like McNabb is some blue chip prospect either. He was a 3rd round pick with a ton of things he had to develop. Still on the list: decision making under duress, skating, and outlet passes. Maybe it was the injury, but he wasn't very good last year in the minors and hasn't been particularly impressive in preseason from what I've read.

As I mentioned, he can still learn from the AHL at this time. But I think the ability is there to excel and his preseason performance in the Carolina game was outstanding.

In your incessant drive to prove me wrong, you have tripped and fallen on your face once again.

I never degraded Pysyk because I didn't have any information about him. I was high on Tinordi in that draft because at the time he looked like the better player.

Everyone knows that kids that age can blossom or fail unexpectedly. I was simply voicing my opinion on information I knew at that time. There is no question that Pysyk has surprised everyone - even an top expert hockey maven like yourself.

Talking about my draft preferences, no mention of my condemnation for the choice of Kassian over Kulikov?

I thought not.

As I mentioned, he can still learn from the AHL at this time. But I think the ability is there to excel and his preseason performance in the Carolina game was outstanding.

Not to pile on but outside of his big slapper in that game he was mundane from all accounts.

I thought not.

Really? You didn't refer to him with a derogatory nickname?

I'll give you this: you have a rare talent for aggressively insisting on mistaken factual assertions that are easily disproved.

Really? You didn't refer to him with a derogatory nickname?

I'll give you this: you have a rare talent for aggressively insisting on mistaken factual assertions that are easily disproved.

Easily disproved? You haven't done it yet.

Not to pile on but outside of his big slapper in that game he was mundane from all accounts.

The game was not televised so I did not see it. He looked great on the scoresheet, but I respect your opinion and will accept your account of his play.

The game was not televised so I did not see it. He looked great on the scoresheet, but I respect your opinion and will accept your account of his play.

I saw highlights and listened to the game, read the reports afterwards. I wouldn't have tossed that out but it was a general consensus from the reporters and announces that McNabb was questionable in his decision making.

Easily disproved? You haven't done it yet.

Here are a few:

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/17554-zherdev-wants-to-come-back-to-the-nhl/page__view__findpost__p__216441

I don't think Pissick is the better player. Reports on him include words like "soft" and "has limited upside".

Tinordi is reputed to be a leader - something the Sabres sorely need.

Aside from which, Montreal didn't jump ahead of us to take Pissick, did they?

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/17554-zherdev-wants-to-come-back-to-the-nhl/page__view__findpost__p__216437

Think whatever you want. But if we could go back in time I'll bet you we wouldn't have Pissick (or however you spell his name) as our selection. The notion of Twin Towers - Myers and Tinordi - had to be very appealing to Darcy.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/17438-2011-nhl-draft/page__view__findpost__p__214388

I had to attend my stepson's graduation and so I just finished watching the first round of the draft on the DVR.

It sucked.

You could visibly see the pissed-off expression on Darcy's face when he was chatting with Lamoriello of the Devils. It was obvious that he was skunked by Mtl. Two years ago he jumped one spot to make sure he got Myers. This year Tinordi was obviously his guy given who had gone before, but he didn't want him enough to make the same deal. But do they pick a forward, which they sorely need? No....

Pissick will someday be a top defenseman - for Portland.

This, combined with last year's stupid pick of Kassian (done to put people in the stands, not to win a Cup) has me totally disgusted with this organization.

The good news is they had the sense not to take Merrill...but that's poor compensation.

LOL!!! You bothered to take the time and effort to dig down through all those old threads to come up with this???

I must really piss the hell out of you to be worth all that effort - I didn't think you cared that much.

I wouldn't do the same for you - you aren't worth the trouble.

But good for you genius...you really got me - what a pompous jerk you are!

LOL!!! You bothered to take the time and effort to dig down through all those old threads to come up with this???

I must really piss the hell out of you to be worth all that effort - I didn't think you cared that much.

I'm betting he just had to search "Pissick". Probably wasn't too much effort.

As Arcsabresfan pointed out, it took about 30 seconds -- which is about as long as it usually takes to disprove an obviously false assertion, regardless of how obnoxiously stated it is.

Maybe I'm not the problem here. You might consider why, as a grown man, you felt the need to assign that nickname to a 17-year-old kid.

Thanks V-M.

As Arcsabresfan pointed out, it took about 30 seconds -- which is about as long as it usually takes to disprove an obviously false assertion, regardless of how obnoxiously stated it is.

Maybe I'm not the problem here. You might consider why, as a grown man, you felt the need to assign that nickname to a 17-year-old kid.

Thanks V-M.

Bullwinkle's shtick is pretty straightforward. You've done a good job of making him look silly. He'll just go right on babbling and forget it ever happened though. As far as I can tell he thinks he knows ###### because he's old or something.

Archived