All about the Rochester Amerks 13-14

LabattBlue

Grigo sets up Roy with a great pass as he walks through the Crunch D. 5-1 Amerks.

@RSandersonWHTK

What a deke by #Amerks C Mikhail Grigorenko, who feeds Freddy Roy for a one-timer. Beauty of a play. Wow. ROC 5 SYR 1 [3rd] #Sabres

@SabresProspects

Nifty move by Mikhail Grigorenko and then a nice feed to Freddy Roy for the goal. Great play for his first AHL point.

http://youtu.be/W80Hc8X5xCQ

nice!! He looks good

Amerks come back from a 3-0 3rd period deficit to win 4-3 over the Marlies. Schaller with the hatty. Grigs with 2 assists. Varone with the GWG.

@RSandersonWHTK

#Amerks have, at least for right now, moved up into 7th in Western Conf. Yes, a playoff spot (for now) after 9 losses before this week.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

AMERKS COMEBACK TO STUN MARLIES WITH 4-3 WIN

Facing a 3-0 deficit heading into the third period, the Rochester Americans scored four straight unanswered goals over the final 15:57 of regulation time and used a natural hat trick from rookie forward Tim Schaller to stun the Toronto Marlies with a thrilling 4-3 win Saturday afternoon at Ricoh Coliseum. With the win, the Amerks have now won three straight, but more importantly, have reinserted themselves back in the playoff picture by surpassing Rockford and Charlotte for seventh place in the American Hockey League’s Western Conference.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW BOXSCORE

Schaller’s natural hat trick brought the Amerks back from a 3-0 hole, with his third and most important goal coming with Rochester skating 6-on-5 and just 58 seconds remaining in regulation. Phil Varone, who already has two game-winning goals to his credit this season, once again put his heroics on display when he completed the comeback just 15 seconds later to seal the win for the Amerks and deny Toronto the opportunity of capturing the North Division title.

Rookie goaltender Andrey Makarov was again brilliant between the pipes for Rochester, stopping 13 of 16 shots he faced in his sixth straight start while Brayden Irwin assisted on all four Amerks goals to lead the rally. Newcomer Mikhail Grigorenko also collected two assists in the win and now shows four points (0+4) in his last three games since being assigned to Rochester earlier this week.

46 in Blue, Irwin looks fast and was in all the highlights it seems. May never be an NHL regular but he looks pretty darn good against this level of player!

Irwin has been a 6'5" ghost all season minus the last week. He plays softer than Pominville and has shown little to no scoring ability except for the last two games. I'm not sure he's even an average AHL Player. For what it's worth, his linemate Tim Shaller looked like Gretzky against the Marlies who clearly were flabbergasted by the events at the end of that game.

What are thoughts on Grigorenko? I haven't seen any of these games but reports sound good. I'm hesitant it maybe wishful thinking.

I've either watched or listened to the three games since Grigs was assigned to the Amerks. He's a different player who's winning puck battles along the wall and playing responsibly in all three zones. His play without the puck is markedly improved. Cassidy has him playing the point on the 1st PP unit and he's been dangerous in the offensive zone by creating chances for himself and his teammates.

With his excellent track record in the Q and also in WJC competition, he'd be considered a great prospect with very few detractors had he not been foolishly rushed to the NHL by you know who.

Irwin has been a 6'5" ghost all season minus the last week. He plays softer than Pominville and has shown little to no scoring ability except for the last two games. I'm not sure he's even an average AHL Player. For what it's worth, his linemate Tim Shaller looked like Gretzky against the Marlies who clearly were flabbergasted by the events at the end of that game.

ahh, we'll that's too bad. Don't know much about him but he seemed to flash in the highlights and made me take notice. Be nice if he played like that all the time.

I really hope we get some guys back healthy so we can send as many players down to Rochester as possible for the playoff run. Sending down Adam, Larsson, Deslauriers, McCabe, Rudy, Risto, Lieuwen, and Hackett would surely help the Amerks.

With Foligno and Stewart skating today, maybe two forwards will head down in time for the Amerks next game on Friday vs the Marlies.

Who do you all think are the top two goalies in rochester next year between Hackett, Makarov, and Lieuwen?

I'm kinda hoping hackett doesn't get tendered and they let makarov split time with Lieuwen.

I wouldn't mind if they gave Hackett another shot. He was good in the AHL last year. But if Makarov is ready for the AHL full-time next year I wouldn't mint letting Matt go.

I wouldn't mind if they gave Hackett another shot. He was good in the AHL last year. But if Makarov is ready for the AHL full-time next year I wouldn't mint letting Matt go.

No. Hackett Stays. You can't spend what we spent to bring him in, and let him walk. Hackett Stays.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.