All about the Rochester Amerks 13-14

LabattBlue

It didn't seem to ruin Girgensons.

Or Tyler Myers in at least his rookie of the year season, same age saw Zadorov now and not a single pro game under his belt when he made the jump. It can be done and it does look like more 19 year old defensemen are sticking in recent years.

Or Tyler Myers in at least his rookie of the year season, same age saw Zadorov now and not a single pro game under his belt when he made the jump. It can be done and it does look like more 19 year old defensemen are sticking in recent years.

Well... Considering his best season was his rookie year and they made the playoffs that year then he got worse as the team did... Pretty sure that means he's the perfect example of how losing hurts players.

Well... Considering his best season was his rookie year and they made the playoffs that year then he got worse as the team did... Pretty sure that means he's the perfect example of how losing hurts players.

Your perfect example ignores the chicken/egg nature of this scenario. Did he get worse because the team did, or did the team get worse because he did?

Your perfect example ignores the chicken/egg nature of this scenario. Did he get worse because the team did, or did the team get worse because he did?

Id say it's far more likely that the team got worse because it fell apart as a whole and then shipped off major talent. This isn't chicken and egg.

Edited by Tankalicious

Id say it's far more likely that the team got worse because it fell apart as a whole and then shipped off major talent. This isn't chicken and egg.

So you're saying Myers got worse in large part because his surrounding teammates got worse, rather than the nebulous impact of just winning fewer games? Agreed! ;)

Uhhh, yea. That's the point.

Maybe you weren't here yet for these conversations, but there is a contingent that believes the act of losing in and of itself, completely independent of quality of teammates, hurts players. "Losing begets losing" is the phrase. I thought that's what you were getting at with your original statement. So the debate is whether losing causes players/teams to get worse, or is simply a natural consequence of having a worse roster.

Maybe you weren't here yet for these conversations, but there is a contingent that believes the act of losing in and of itself, completely independent of quality of teammates, hurts players. "Losing begets losing" is the phrase. I thought that's what you were getting at with your original statement. So the debate is whether losing causes players/teams to get worse, or is simply a natural consequence of having a worse roster.

Well, they're not really that different. The idea of keeping prospects away is to keep them away from the losing culture of a talentless roster. Either way you look at it, it's a bad idea to push them if they're not 100%, without a doubt, ready.

I don't buy that putting a young player into a losing team affects that players' development negatively.

Lots of kids in junior hockey (or any other sports' developmental league) get drafted out of losing systems. Does three years in a losing team in a developmental league mean that the player is less likely to become a successful player in the pros? I'd like to see the data that suggests it. and I don't think this is any different than a young player spending his first 2-3 years on a losing pro team.

I don't buy that putting a young player into a losing team affects that players' development negatively.

Lots of kids in junior hockey (or any other sports' developmental league) get drafted out of losing systems. Does three years in a losing team in a developmental league mean that the player is less likely to become a successful player in the pros? I'd like to see the data that suggests it. and I don't think this is any different than a young player spending his first 2-3 years on a losing pro team.

Bam.

I don't think it's a major issue, but if there's any reason to keep them in juniors then do it. Buys another contract year, as well.

• 2 weeks later...

So the AHL final game 3 was played in St Johns last night. But they don't play next until Monday night. What else could be going on in St Johns that would prevent them from playing this weekend? This series will probably go longer than the NHL.

So the AHL final game 3 was played in St Johns last night. But they don't play next until Monday night. What else could be going on in St Johns that would prevent them from playing this weekend? This series will probably go longer than the NHL.

There's a convention in St. John's this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, same with me. Cutting out the deadwood, freeing space for new contracts.

Next years Amerks D (I know a lot depends on what happens in the next 48 hours or so):

Ruwehdal

Gauthier-Leduc

McCabe

Bagnall (if they being him back)

Brady Austin (I think his junior eligibility is up)

???

Next years Amerks D (I know a lot depends on what happens in the next 48 hours or so):

Ruwehdal

Gauthier-Leduc

McCabe

Bagnall (if they being him back)

Brady Austin (I think his junior eligibility is up)

???

They could always bring back either of Crawford or MacKenzie on AHL deals if either side was interested.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.