Gerbe on Buyout Waivers

That Aud Smell

Buyouts don't count towards the cap.

Regular ones do.

http://www.capgeek.c...do-buyouts-work

2013-14 Actual salary was to be $1,850,000 -- cap hit was $1,450,000

Teams are entitled to buy out player contracts for a portion of the remaining value of the contract — paid over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract. Following are the buyout amounts:

• Younger than age 26 at the time of buyout, 1/3 the remaining value
  • Age 26 or older at the time of the buyout, 2/3 the remaining value

When a player is bought out, the team still takes a cap hit for the player over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract. The amount of the cap hit (by year) is determined as follows:

• Take the actual salary due for each remaining year
  • Take the Averaged Player Salary (cap hit) for the current contract
  • Calculate the buyout amount (as described above)
  • Spread the buy-out amount evenly over twice the remaining years of the contract
  • Take the number in No. 1 and subtract the number in No. 4. This is the "buyout savings."
  • Take the cap hit from No. 2 and subtract the buyout savings from No. 5.

That's too bad, I liked his play all the way from his days at BC. Exemplifies a great attitude.

Not quite sure what to make of this. Maybe they thought he took a step back this year? It seemed like they misused him a little- he plays a top-six style and he was definitely being played in a checking line/agitating role, and according to player usage charts, in some of the toughest minutes on the team.

Or maybe we're trying to open up a roster spot for an up and comer?

Or maybe we thought it generally bad to pay what they were using as 4th liner $1.45M?

Waste of a move if it is a compliance buyout.

Exactly. They have two compliance buyouts, they don't have to use one this summer, and they waste one on Gerbe's contract? If they don't want him, put him on regular waivers and send him to Rochester.

I can't make that capgeek formula work -- when I get to #6, I end up with a negative #. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

1. $1,850,000

2. $1,450,000

3. $616,666.66

4. $308,333.33

5. $1,541,666 (buyout savings)

6. -$91,666 (the formula says to subtract #5 from #2? if it's supposed to be the other way around, then that's a positive #)

??? What's to stop a team from buying anyone that they're not happy with then?

As noted, regular buyouts still count against the cap. It's only the two compliance buyouts allotted to each team in the new CBA (must be used within two years of the lockout) that don't. Several teams (with $$) have bought out players they are unhappy with ... or more to the point, a player whose contract they are unhappy with. The still have to pay the buyout, so the real cash is enough for smaller market teams not to do it.

This isn't about money or keeping the guy around. He simply isn't in the team's plans going forward. I agree with the move 100%. A 5'3 forward who doesn't score ala Marty St. Louis doesn't do much good on any NHL roster.

He is in good company (the players the Sabres have let go) I seem to remember more than a few doing well in the playoffs on other teams olver the years.lol

That's nice. They make the kid play through a broken back then don't even have the nads to give him a heads up? W _ _ S _ L

As GODD notes, we're glossing over a major piece of this: Why the hell did Darcy say yesterday that he didn't expect there to be any buyouts? Did Gerbe make eyes at one of the Pegula girls in the interim?

Gerbe had no idea this was coming:

@BillHoppeNHL

Per his agent, Nathan Gerbe is done with the #Sabres. They're buying him out. They had no warning, either. #Buffalo

Ooofff.

Another dick move by the Sabres. The stenchiest stench since the demotion of Cody Mc.

And this will help the *hockey heaven* motif?

Is there anyone unhappy with this move?

Love the kid, but he's just not good enough.

I am. I can think of a couple of guys more deserving of a buyout. This team has no talent, until you get talent you don't get rid of the ones with great work ethic.

Archived