Trades of Summer 2013

spndnchz

DStebb, could you answer my questions please? Thank you.

Nashville signed 5 new guys on Day 1 of free agency. Plus, of course, added Seth Jones in the draft. And they only finished at the bottom of the pack because almost every scoring forward on the roster was hurt last year.

Edmonton picked up 7 new guys during free agency (6 free agents + 1 trade).

Carolina made a significant move in trading for Sekera. :flirt:

I think Washington and Buffalo were two of the only teams to make no "splashy" moves.

Although the Sabres did have twice as many 1st round picks, and more picks in the top 52 than any other team in the league, by far.

The general consensus around the league and the media is that Darcy has had two of the most successful drafts of the last two years. The core was cancerous and needed to go, out goes Connolly, Roy, P-Ville and Gaustad. The Sabres needed size, grit and leadership, in comes Ott, Scott, eventually Girgensons and then some serious size from the draft. Darcy has also loaded up on defensemen which have been the highest commodity in the league over the last few years which leaves the possibility open to swing some more deals. These are the first two full years that Darcy has been able to work without a leash. These are just a few examples.

With all that said, are people really hanging Vanek and Miller over his head? Or is it the Leino deal which is completely irrelevant at this point?

It seems like some fans love to abuse that term 'suffer'. Does anybody seriously think that after the way Darcy has been chastised by the fans and media over the last year or so that he's going to give anybody hope going into next season? Hell, I wouldn't tell people that I plan to make this turnaround as short as possible. I'd give the worst case scenario and let everybody be pleasantly surprised when it turns out quicker than expected.

To answer your question, yes I can deal with what he has done. I would like to see Darcy try to convince Vanek to stay and work on making this a short term turnaround, but at this point we don't know that he's not already doing that.

So, to the anti-Darcy crowd, we're all in agreement?

In what way is the Leino deal irrelevant?

Because even if they wanted to buy him out, they can't cause he is injured. Then its just better to hang on to him and see if he plays up to his contract at start of season.

Can still buy him out next year.

I'm probably about the only poster who likes Ville. Two years ago he was learning the system, and Lindy kept putting him with checking line guys (same with Brad Boyes). Last year he was, of course, hurt almost the whole year. I think if he can stay healthy he should get a lot of ice time this year and could have a breakout season.

The Sabres are the youngest team in the league, they have a new coach, most of the old core is gone and they loaded up on early round draft picks over the last two years. How are they supposed to make it longer? What would a longer rebuild consist of? And I don't recall Vanek specifically saying he wanted to leave, in fact he did state that a rebuild doesn't need to take long and he'd be willing to stick around for that.

Vanek basically said he wasn't interested in being involved in a rebuild if it was going to take more than a year. I think it was during locker cleanout day if you're inclined to try to find the exact quote.

"Let's be honest," Vanek said. "I'm not stupid. I know I have a year left and they can probably deal me for prospects, young guys, whatever else is out there. Yeah, I've thought about it. If it looks like it's a long rebuild, then it probably makes sense for both parties to move on."

Vanek wants a quick, trade-based rebuild as opposed to a build through the draft. But the latter scenario appears more likely.

"I don't know what the plan is," Vanek said. "If they're turning it over to the younger guys, it's a turnover. Or are they going to build around us again? It's all speculation at this point because you guys don't know and I don't know what's going to happen."

http://blogs.buffalo...ng-rebuild.html

Nashville signed 5 new guys on Day 1 of free agency. Plus, of course, added Seth Jones in the draft. And they only finished at the bottom of the pack because almost every scoring forward on the roster was hurt last year.

I think Washington and Buffalo were two of the only teams to make no "splashy" moves.

Edmonton, and Colorado also made front office and coaching moves in the offseason.

I'm probably about the only poster who likes Ville. Two years ago he was learning the system, and Lindy kept putting him with checking line guys (same with Brad Boyes). Last year he was, of course, hurt almost the whole year. I think if he can stay healthy he should get a lot of ice time this year and could have a breakout season.

Your not alone. Ville was bad his first year. But he was good in his brief time this year, good in his last season in Philly and very good in the playoffs the year before that.

He's a legit top six hockey player, especially on this team.

I don't hate him either. I'm curious to see what he can do without Ruff in charge AND be healthy.

So Carolina gets credit for moving to get Sekera but Darcy does not get credit for moving him... okay

Edmonton signed who that was noteworthy? Ference is the only name on the list worth a damn.

D Denis Grebeshkov, F Ryan Jones, G Richard Bachman, F Ryan Hamilton, F Jesse Joensuu, D Andrew Ference, G Jason Labarbera

Nashville signed who that was noteworthy? PS Drafting Jones does not count. So basically Viktor Stalberg is the only name that is really impressive.

F Brandon Yip, F Matt Cullen, F Eric Nystrom, F Matt Hendricks, G Carter Hutton, F Viktor Stalberg

I am sorry but I just don't see how we can all be like "WOW all these teams are now awesome but the Sabres suck" when it is obvious that most of these moves are lateral moves.

Edmonton, and Colorado also made front office and coaching moves in the offseason.

Buffalo also made coaching moves both last season and in the offseason...

Basically we have not done anything since the draft but I am not sure what we expected other than Vanek and Miller being traded or resigned. Most teams haven't made a big splash and honestly the UFA market was meh to begin with. We don't need to add another 3-4 3rd line guys to the roster.

Stewart signing for 2 years 8 million still leaves him open for a trade like the one above. Seeing as 50% Miller would = Halak's contract and Stewart's would = Stafford

Why? Why would they sign him to 2years worth of big money to then trade him 2seconds later? Why?

Stewart signing for 2 years 8 million still leaves him open for a trade like the one above. Seeing as 50% Miller would = Halak's contract and Stewart's would = Stafford

Why? Why would they sign him to 2years worth of big money to then trade him 2seconds later? Why?

I think the trade of tallinder is more telling of a future trade with the Devils than this signing is. We in a sense retained salary for the Devils already.

Per Spector: "the Blues with just over $8 million in cap space to re-sign defenseman Alex Pietrangelo and newly-acquired winger Magnus Paajarvi ."

Pietrangelo is their best defenseman and is rapidly becoming one of the NHL's elite d-men. I could see him at $5 million per. That will leave enough space for Paajarvi. However, the Blues won't have much "wiggle room" after that. So they may want to dump some salary if they can. Taking on Miller or Stafford's salary doesn't make much sense for them at this point unless they give up a lot of salary in return.

I think the trade of tallinder is more telling of a future trade with the Devils than this signing is. We in a sense retained salary for the Devils already.

Hmm maybe, the issue though is Devils already traded for a GT so that eliminates Miller. So that leaves Vanek but NJD have no 2014 first rounder, no depth at forward or defense really, and they are in the financial crapper. Tough to trade with but there is definitely the possibility of a trade with them. More so than say St Louis or TB.

Per Spector: "the Blues with just over $8 million in cap space to re-sign defenseman Alex Pietrangelo and newly-acquired winger Magnus Paajarvi ."

Pietrangelo is their best defenseman and is rapidly becoming one of the NHL's elite d-men. I could see him at $5 million per. That will leave enough space for Paajarvi. However, the Blues won't have much "wiggle room" after that. So they may want to dump some salary if they can. Taking on Miller or Stafford's salary doesn't make much sense for them at this point unless they give up a lot of salary in return.

Pietrangelo deserves Doughty money IMO. Whether he gets it is of course another matter.

The Stewart trade I posted upthread was based on the Blues having to clear cap space to get Pietrangelo and Stewart signed. We would be swallowing half of Miller's salary. No way it happens now with Stewart making the same as Stafford.

As I said earlier, that is a nice deal for the Blues.

I really don't see us making a Devils deal because I don't see them with the pieces to make a Vanek trade.

But if Lou really wants him, he can probably find a way.

Oh, so now we're back to thinking that Vanek wants to be here? After he stated himself he doesn't want to go through a rebuild, which is in fact occurring? Darcy, is that you?

He doesn't want to go through a rebuild. But that's not what you said, is it?

Archived