Trades of Summer 2013

spndnchz

Of all the teams in the league, someone will be willing to "go all in" for someone like Vanek at the deadline, in hopes that it gets them a Cup.

The demand will be there for Vanek if we wait until the deadline. I don't think that's the case with Miller as much.

I'd prefer to trade both before the season so that we don't have to worry about injuries.

Yes. Consider what Pittsburgh gave up for an aged Jarome Iginla.

If Goose, Penner, Guerin, Pomm have all been worth first rounders, and Kotalik, Dominic Moore, Antropov, Kostitsyn, Roy have been worth second rounders...

Vanek is on another level compared to those names.

If Goose, Penner, Guerin, Pomm have all been worth first rounders, and Kotalik, Dominic Moore, Antropov, Kostitsyn, Roy have been worth second rounders...

Vanek is on another level compared to those names.

Don't forget that a first rounder from a contender at the deadline is probably a 20 to 30 pick. We should be targeting top prospects for TV when we deal him, and I still like the Islanders for that.

Don't forget that a first rounder from a contender at the deadline is probably a 20 to 30 pick. We should be targeting top prospects for TV when we deal him, and I still like the Islanders for that.

There's no way Wang OKs a deal sending away cost-controlled assets for a player who will command nearly an $8 million extension.

There's no way Wang OKs a deal sending away cost-controlled assets for a player who will command nearly an $8 million extension.

Knowing you'd like to extend a player may add value to your team in a trade, but I don't think it's a necessity.

It will depend 100% on his health at the deadline. If he is healthy and producing, then he will garner far more than a second. He will be in that top-end scoring rental category that usually commands a pretty hefty fee. However, if he is as beat up as he usually is later in the season, possibly even in and out of the lineup, then he will get closer to that 2nd, if anything. Darcy said that the Wild were talking to him about another forward, but then changed to Pominville at the last minute. Vanek was clearly not 100% at that point. Coincidence?

Darcy was trying to give them Stafford, I think.

If you say any other team could avoid giving up a huge package of players/draft picks simply by waiting, how could there have been missed opportunities if everybody is just waiting? Your logic contradicts itself.

No contradictions. It's all about timing. Vanek's value is less now than it was a year ago today, even more less than last years trade deadline, even more so since the 2013 NHL draft. Everyday that goes by Regier and the Sabres lose leverage. At this point they may not have any at all. They have a star player that is on the record as stating he doesn't want to sit through a long rebuild. He is entering the final year of his contract and teams know what happened to the Sabres on July 1st 2007. What teams would have given up a year ago or even at the trade deadline last year is not what they would be willing to give up now.

Yes. Consider what Pittsburgh gave up for an aged Jarome Iginla.

Pittsburgh and Boston were bidding against each other. I highly doubt Regier could position Vanek into that type of scenario.

Pittsburgh and Boston were bidding against each other. I highly doubt Regier could position Vanek into that type of scenario.

So you think only one team will be bidding for Vanek? Because otherwise it doesn't matter what Regier does, the market will create a bidding war for him.

Didn't Iginla end up refusing to go to Boston? Vanek doesn't have a no trade, more teams could be involved in the bidding.

What are you the GM? How would you know which "direction" they'd like to go in?

Yes. I actually got hired the other day. Announcement coming soon. I'm continuing the direction of the team that just traded their captain and the GM said that there is "suffering" ahead, obviously implying a rebuild...

Looks like we got a smart alec drunk on our hands, yay.

Pominville was a lousy captain.

I'm actually completely sober. You're the one that's five drinks, I mean posts, in.

Doesn't matter how "lousy" of a captain Pominville was. He was one of our most talented players, a part of the core and a mainstay and POOF he's gone.

I'm actually completely sober. You're the one that's five drinks, I mean posts, in.

Doesn't matter how "lousy" of a captain Pominville was. He was one of our most talented players, a part of the core and a mainstay and POOF he's gone.

LOZLZOLZLZOZLZLZOZL are you kidding me? Pominville a dime a dozen. Dude put the wine coolers down. He was a MAJOR part of the sabres problems.

I'd have to agree with DStebb on this one. He was a lousy captain, but he certainly isn't a "dime a dozen" type player. Just because he doesn't rack of 50+ goals a year or turn in Con Smyth performances doesn't mean he's average. He's an extremely consistent forward who knows his way around his own zone plus he logs in top minutes on both special teams units. Maybe 1-3 players/ team can do that, possibly less. Minnesota gave up a good amount for him, don't devalue him just because he isn't flashy

I'd take five more Pommers if I could, he was not a major problem at all with this team. He was a problem because he was a captain, that's about it.

They should make a play for Doan.

Shane Doan took less money than offered elsewhere to stay in Phoenix, which seems to suggest he really wanted to stay in Phoenix. He also managed to secure a full NMC in his contract. Please explain why he would be willing to waive that NMC to come to Buffalo.

What's this?

A troll. Who I just responded to. Now i want to stab my eye.

A troll. Who I just responded to. Now i want to stab my eye.

Yea, I decided to change my post. Not going to mess with that one. Don't stab yourself, it's a forgivable offense to entertain a troll once in a while.

He was way too soft. Missed the net all the time. Started gettin injured a lot. Averaged about 25 goals and 65 points his whole career and hes gettin a lil old. There is a million guys like that in the league.

Bottom line, Darcy I fleece the crap out of other teams Regier, well, fleeced the crap out of minnesota.

Archived