Place Your Bets! (Vanek, Miller trade edition)

IKnowPhysics

Vanek/Miller Poll  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Will Vanek be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.
  2. 2. Will Miller be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.

Miller is not my favorite player, far from it. I don't think Enroth is ready. I think you rebuild the forward/defense corp first. I'm not in a rush to run the two veterans out of town and watch an 82-game train wreck.

For the next ten years. Been there done that. Darcy could not find a real center for the last six , what makes anybody believe he can rebuild a team from zero and that our coaching staff can properly develop talent. The only highlights in the 48 game train wreck were Miller and Vanek . If i want to watch AHL hockey I guess i can turn on Grand Rapids.

If this team gets rid of either Vanek or Miller before they dump Drew Stafford, there is something seriously wrong with the management.

I think Vanek will go. He seems to have indicated he wants to or at least hasn't really said he wants to stay. Miller I think wants to stay and he may. Hard to tell at this moment in time.

To your point, Stafford should be gone well before either of them.

If this team gets rid of either Vanek or Miller before they dump Drew Stafford, there is something seriously wrong with the management.

Its a quantified fact that there is something seriously wrong with management. We've made the playoffs 4 times in the last 11 years.

I think Vanek will go. He seems to have indicated he wants to or at least hasn't really said he wants to stay. Miller I think wants to stay and he may. Hard to tell at this moment in time.

To your point, Stafford should be gone well before either of them.

IMO that would be a mistake. We have a suitable, if not fully tested, replacement for Miller. What we don't have is scoring LW's beyond Vanek. If anything, Miller should be the one moved because we have a ready fill in for him.

I know you didn't say "this is what I want".. You said "this is what I think happens". So this reply isn't at you really.

IMO that would be a mistake. We have a suitable, if not fully tested, replacement for Miller. What we don't have is scoring LW's beyond Vanek. If anything, Miller should be the one moved because we have a ready fill in for him.

I know you didn't say "this is what I want".. You said "this is what I think happens". So this reply isn't at you really.

No worries. I want Vanek to stay and Miller I am 50/50 on his staying or going.

What I think they'll do and what they actually do are two sides to a coin so what I want them to do is get back as much as they can and move both. This team without one or the other is really going to suck so you might as well move them both and go all in on the rebuild. I'm resigned to the suffering bit Darcy spoke of regardless of it being by design or not. This team was bad in so many fundamental ways last season and I believe we were in for some suffering watching that squad anyways. Might as well bite the bullet and do this right.

Miller is not my favorite player, far from it. I don't think Enroth is ready. I think you rebuild the forward/defense corp first. I'm not in a rush to run the two veterans out of town and watch an 82-game train wreck.

Why do you think this? He is 25 and has 3 years of backup experience. Just won the gold for Sweden, albeit in a back up role, but has had equal to better numbers than Miller. What more does he have to prove? I don't know if you were hot after Bernier but he has almost identical numbers, years and is the same age. Why is Bernier ready and Enroth is not?

Why do you think this? He is 25 and has 3 years of backup experience. Just won the gold for Sweden, albeit in a back up role, but has had equal to better numbers than Miller. What more does he have to prove? I don't know if you were hot after Bernier but he has almost identical numbers, years and is the same age. Why is Bernier ready and Enroth is not?

Idk what more he has to prove. Given a chance to play everyday, he just might be it. Call my doubt a gut feeling. No opinion on Bernier. I felt the same way about Rask though and he sure held his own this year.

Idk what more he has to prove. Given a chance to play everyday, he just might be it. Call my doubt a gut feeling. No opinion on Bernier. I felt the same way about Rask though and he sure held his own this year.

I have the same gut feeling as you. Nineteen game losing streaks tend to do that. I'm still all for trading Miller now, though; with the insane plan of "we'll be good in three years" that this team is following, there's no need to keep him this year.

As far as Miller's limited NTC: He's said before he wouldn't get in front of a trade. I'm assuming he'd use it only if Buffalo came to him and said "look, we have a few good deals on the table." He'd then choose the best one of the group.

Really? When did he say this? If true, I would be talking Garth Snow's ear off trying to either get #15 or Nino if I were Darcy.

Really? When did he say this? If true, I would be talking Garth Snow's ear off trying to either get #15 or Nino if I were Darcy.

I'd think we could get Nino and 15 if he'll sign an extension as part of the trade.

Actually, Enroth was the starter. Markstrom was the backup.

I voted for won't be traded for both.

For Vanek, because i do not want to lose him and for Miller because we do not find a partner who will send us a decent package back.

Both players have more than five decent years in their tank, so it would not be a big risk to extend their big contracts for five to six years. If we do extend them for eight years we would have some trouble then.

Another low side would be, that we won't suck with Vanek and Miller as without them and that we won't contend for a high draft pick.

Maybe i would not be a good GM, but i think it should be mandatory to try to have the best team possible each season. The tactic to tank with purpose for picks is maybe succesful but i think it is a tactic without honor.

That makes no sense. Vanek and Miller have trade value, Stafford has none.

What makes you think Enroth isn't ready?

If the owner really wanted to show his appreciation to miller and vanek for their contributions over the years of woe, knowing that he could not resign them, he could buy them both out ,( thus saving some money). What better way to thank them than letting them enter free agency a year earlyy... lol

or pehaps all parties could agree to terminate their contracts a year early ? A magnaimous jesture like that would go a long way . :w00t: i wonder if there is a no mutual termination of contracts permitted clause in the negotiated agreement? I doubt the inclusion of same would be legal under federal law.

In the end, what is a couple more bottom six wingers, and a few more 2nd round draft picks really worth to the Sabres. We are loaded already

That makes no sense. Vanek and Miller have trade value, Stafford has none.

I think people are saying they are unsure if he is ready. That has to do with this number 53. We don't know what happens when he plays more than that in 1 season. Enroth plays more = more tape on him + from more situations = more opportunities for shooters to figure him out. Not saying they will but it is a concern. If Miller is not resigning then move him and go with Enroth, I personally think he has a shot of making it long term.

Hello Flyers. Can I interest you in a slightly used Ryan Miller?

Hello Sabres... YES!!!!!

Miller to the Flyers is a pipe dream. Darcy wouldn't make that trade unless Philly offered the world.

I'm not so sure about that. They got a pretty good goalie for a second round pick from him once.

Archived