Place Your Bets! (Vanek, Miller trade edition)

IKnowPhysics

Vanek/Miller Poll  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Will Vanek be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.
  2. 2. Will Miller be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.

Guest Sloth

FWIW, the Sabres retained a small part of Pominville's salary (600k or something). That's not the same as $3M+ for Miller or Vanek, but they're not adverse to it entirely.

Very good point. I forgot about that. W/ the Sabres in an aggressive rebuilding phase, as in taring the roster a part, the 3 million wouldn't have much of an impact. Buffalo will still have a decent amount of cap space and get something good in return. If Miller or Vanek only bring back draft pick(s) and/or prospect(s), that is pathetic. The Sabres do need proven NHL talent in a trade involving either one of them. Chris Stewart or Pietrangelo would need to be sent to the Sabres. I highly doubt St. Louis would be willing to part ways w/ Pietrangelo though.

*W/ Chris Stewart going to arbitration I can see St. Louis using him and Halak in a trade for Miller.

I'd take Stewart straight up for Miller and be damn happy about it too.

Me too, but I'm sure they'd want to get rid of a goaltender if they went for Miller. Halak would be the guy. Stewart would obviously have to be included.

A player who shows up out of shape every season and had one good season four years ago? Yea, sure.

3 of the last 4 years have been good...only dog was in 11-12. No clue what you're talking about with one good season four years ago. And apparently you haven't been paying much attention to the goalie market, or lack thereof. Miller's trade value is not good, and is unlikely to improve a whole lot as time goes on.

Guest Sloth

A player who shows up out of shape every season and had one good season four years ago? Yea, sure.

36 points for Stewart in shortened season is pretty good. Stewart, Halak and a draft pick would be a legit trade. What more do you expect the Sabres to get for Miller now? Few teams to trade w/ and his value doesn't appear to be as high as many have hoped.

*I know I mentioned a draft pick, but that would be a huge steal if Buffalo got that included w/ Stewart and Halak.

I think Regier will characteristically let time wind down til the end of the contract where the two stars will bolt on their own accord and the Sabres get nothing. Then he'll say the price that teams were willing to pay wasn't high enough for a trade.

I think you are on the money

David Perron just went for a top prospect Magnus Paajarvi and a 2nd round pick. Now arguably Paajarvi has a lot to prove but Perron is solid. Gives an idea of what a #2 lw goes for roughly... note that part of this is most definitely a salary dump by ST Louis... food for thought on any vanek trades.

David Perron just went for a top prospect Magnus Paajarvi and a 2nd round pick. Now arguably Paajarvi has a lot to prove but Perron is solid. Gives an idea of what a #2 lw goes for roughly... note that part of this is most definitely a salary dump by ST Louis... food for thought on any vanek trades.

WE have better not of waited to long to work out a deal for Oshie because I'll be fuming if we have.

WE have better not of waited to long to work out a deal for Oshie because I'll be fuming if we have.

Actually if you look at their roster now you could trade them Vanek for Oshie + whatever and it is basically a Salary wash with Perron gone at 3.8 and Oshie making 4.175

36 points for Stewart in shortened season is pretty good. Stewart, Halak and a draft pick would be a legit trade. What more do you expect the Sabres to get for Miller now? Few teams to trade w/ and his value doesn't appear to be as high as many have hoped.

*I know I mentioned a draft pick, but that would be a huge steal if Buffalo got that included w/ Stewart and Halak.

I just don't really like this trade. I mean I'd take it over nothing, but I just don't really think this is a trade that does much for us. I'd rather get younger guys who have more potential and give Enroth a shot.

3 of the last 4 years have been good...only dog was in 11-12. No clue what you're talking about with one good season four years ago. And apparently you haven't been paying much attention to the goalie market, or lack thereof. Miller's trade value is not good, and is unlikely to improve a whole lot as time goes on.

I'm paying plenty of attention. I'm not a fan of the deal. That's all. (I was looking at his stats wrong). He had a good year this year, bad year the year before, mediocre one the year before that and a good year in 09-10.

I think we all are severely overestimating what we'll get for Vanek/Miller, but I do think we could get somebody with more potential than Stewart.

Miller's value won't go up until the trade deadline. Same for Vanek's actually. Unless something crazy crosses Regier's desk, he's done considering trading them until the deadline.

Miller's value won't go up until the trade deadline. Same for Vanek's actually. Unless something crazy crosses Regier's desk, he's done considering trading them until the deadline.

A week into the offseason? Rick Nash wasn't traded until the end of July...

I have no reason to believe it is being considered seriously at all.

Just watch.

Even if nothing happens to the deadline, it wouldn't mean he's done considering. It just means he's a psychopathic idiot in control of a professional team's roster. He could be "considering" them as we speak but not decide until the deadline. Which would be a HORRIBLE mistake.

I think Regier will characteristically let time wind down til the end of the contract where the two stars will bolt on their own accord and the Sabres get nothing. Then he'll say the price that teams were willing to pay wasn't high enough for a trade.

This is what I'm expecting actually with Miller unless a contending team loses a starter in pre season or early season. There is NO reason you couldn't be at the deadline and move Vanek for a nice return unless he is of course injured. I would have moved them by now. Darcy, will likely play it out as you suggest.

That's why I'm getting to work on a long pitchfork! Imagine the reaction if he did let that scenario play out? It wouldn't be enough for Pegula to let him go at that point.

I think I would need to see him cry and say he's selling the team because he is not cut out for it.

I just simply cant believe that he allows that to happen. I pray that one of the girls just starts ragging him. Dad. DAD! Dad seriously WTF!!!

Trading miller and Vanek now will cost them 10 million in gate and sales.( a guess)..just another variable in the equation. And then there is the negative press hit which is unavoidable. Generally speaking. Teams that win 30 games do not draw well. Maybe our market is different. We will know in 14-15..Without miller and 26 this is an AHL product. (extreme i know)

As they work their way into a complete rebuild the revenue stream will suffer even further. The product even with the oshie and perrons will be marginal. How long is the TV deal good for?

This could all be chicken little scenerio that never materializes becaus the Buffalo fans are special, but generally speaking your stars are a significant part of the draw.

Archived