Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

I wanted the Sabres to give this guy a shot in the offseason. Hope he makes it back:

@SNHockeyCentral

Manny Malhotra signs for 1 year with Hurricanes. $600,000 at the NHL level, or $125,000 at the AHL level.

I wanted them to give him a shot back in 2010, when he went to Vancouver. Would have been a better third-line center than Hecht (2nd/3rd-line winger) or Gaustad (fourth-line center.) He was having a strong season before he got hit in the eye, even receiving consideration for the Selke trophy (5 1st-place votes, according to Wikipedia.)

For several reasons. But look who's making the decision.

Sakic/Roy will be taking some heat over this.

I wanted them to give him a shot back in 2010, when he went to Vancouver. Would have been a better third-line center than Hecht (2nd/3rd-line winger) or Gaustad (fourth-line center.) He was having a strong season before he got hit in the eye, even receiving consideration for the Selke trophy (5 1st-place votes, according to Wikipedia.)

@Sean_Leahy

Manny Malhotra makes his return to the NHL tonight - http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/manny-malhotra-overcomes-eye-concerns-nhl-comeback-friday-171103622--nhl.html …

For several reasons. But look who's making the decision.

This decision is very questionable IMO:

@adater: Semyon Varlamov starting tonight.

I am guessing it is the proven until proven guilty theory at work? Personally if he did hit his gf I would run his ass over if I was another guy in the league.

I am guessing it is the proven until proven guilty theory at work? Personally if he did hit his gf I would run his ass over if I was another guy in the league.

Even if we were to go the legal route and presume he's innocent...from a hockey perspective, what will his focus level be? Will his head really be in the game?

Even if we were to go the legal route and presume he's innocent...from a hockey perspective, what will his focus level be? Will his head really be in the game?

idk. Depends on the guy but I would lean towards nope. I figured they would start Giguiere. Guess Roy knows what he is doing?

@adaterPatrick Roy explains decision to start Varlamov tonight http://www.denverpos...spite-charges …

"Why wait?" Avs coach Patrick Roy said after the team's morning skate, when it was announced Varlamov will start less than 48 hours

after being arrested on charges of domestic violence and kidnapping against his girlfriend

. "We're all aware of what happened, but we just feel that he's our guy. We have confidence in him and feel that it's good for him to play tonight."

20131031__20131101_A1_CD31VARLAMOV~p1_200.jpg

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Well that settles the idea of them not buying into Torts' system.

I'm shocked at what a difference there is with NY and Vancouver. I really felt, and still do feel, that the Rangers have lots of good B talent to go with a couple of stars. For them to start the way they have, and watch Vancouver thrive....I always loved Torts, but that's a pretty heavy influence so far.

I haven't been able to see Vancouver play much though, so not sure how they look on the ice.

That's Ok, Porter is willing to take a discount to stay with Rolston!

@adaterPatrick Roy explains decision to start Varlamov tonight http://www.denverpos...spite-charges …

"Why wait?" Avs coach Patrick Roy said after the team's morning skate, when it was announced Varlamov will start less than 48 hours

after being arrested on charges of domestic violence and kidnapping against his girlfriend

. "We're all aware of what happened, but we just feel that he's our guy. We have confidence in him and feel that it's good for him to play tonight."

20131031__20131101_A1_CD31VARLAMOV~p1_200.jpg

Holy crap this is terrible logic. Leave it to Roy to think this is even remotely acceptable.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.