Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Ahhhhh, the next step in eliminating hits and fighting in hockey. They respond to the Emery-Holtby fight with a knee jerk reaction and now want to penalize it altogether. Do they really not see the whole point was the fact that Holtby was a non-willing participant? Penalize those that go after innocent players. This has nothing to do with what position they play.

Two Oilers just scored their first career goal in a 33 second span. That has to be some kind of record.

Panthers need goaltending in a HUGE way, Markstrom isn't going to make it past this season.

wasnt there a few people on this forum saying as late as last year that markstrom is tje future and a future star?

wasnt there a few people on this forum saying as late as last year that markstrom is tje future and a future star?

Don't know, I was saying he could be great if he matured. But he hasn't. This was his chance to prove it with Thomas out, he hasn't been doing it.

Are the Pathers a goalie away from being contenders?

Not contenders, not this year. But goaltending could get them a playoff spot. With a decent goaltender they'd be in the 14-15 point range right now.

Rick the part about the guys at cbc missing that play and not replaying it was what hit home for me. The way these same people absolutely slayed John Scotts character in the days and week following his hit on the player from Boston was sick. His hit was bad, sure. I'm not disputing that but this elbow attempt was equal to if not worse in my books. Its a leaf player so lets just let that one slide shall we ? What a fukcing joke.

The middle section of Garth's blog is beautiful... http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTHS-CORNER/Eakins-Yakupov-Not-Being-Traded/6/55455#.UnqeBxBGYyh

He shows multiple head shots by Bruins players that went largely unnoticed... yet certain guys wearing scarlet letters would get multiple game suspensions for the same hits. The NHL is a mess right now when it comes to enforcing the rules.

Nothing with us. I see them selling off some guys and then trading for some guys with more than one-year deals left.

You're probably right, not with us. But I see him dealing one of his young stars. New owner is making his presence felt along with the minority owner. They're not going to be as patient, they had a closed door management meeting after the game last night.

You're probably right, not with us. But I see him dealing one of his young stars. New owner is making his presence felt along with the minority owner. They're not going to be as patient, they had a closed door management meeting after the game last night.

Who do you define as their young stars? I only think they have two on that team -- Hubby and Barkov. Neither of them are going anywhere. Bjugstad and Kulikov could be considered to be good young assets. I think Kulikov will be out of there shortly. Maybe Shawn Mathias, too.

I would say that Brian Campbell would be likely to be dealt but his contract is terrible. He's still a very good defenseman, though, so it's possible he could be moved. Versteeg would've been moved forever ago if his contract wasn't so bad. They're really in a bad spot, because their few tradeable assets have long-term contracts and are overpaid.

Versteeg would be moveable if he was in the last year of his deal, and Campbell would be tradeable if he made about $1.5 million less.

Edited by DStebb

Who do you define as their young stars? I only think they have two on that team -- Hubby and Barkov. Neither of them are going anywhere. Bjugstad and Kulikov could be considered to be good young assets. I think Kulikov will be out of there shortly.

Yeah, I shouldn't have said stars. Probably more along the line of their early draft picks over the last 4-5 years. Too much youth, not enough QUALITY veterans. Boyes has 5 goals, but his stats are deceiving.

Yeah, I shouldn't have said stars. Probably more along the line of their early draft picks over the last 4-5 years. Too much youth, not enough QUALITY veterans. Boyes has 5 goals, but his stats are deceiving.

Boyes is getting big minutes on an NHL team which really is a terrible joke.

Boyes is getting big minutes on an NHL team which really is a terrible joke.

He was going to get benched twice in the last couple of weeks, had it not been for two last minute injury scratches. Dineen isn't happy with him, he's been giving up on plays the last few games. One was an Edmonton goal last night.

Buddy looks like he's about to hurl into Pardy's helmet at any moment.

That could have gotten ugly really fast.

Anyway, in the video, the announcer quickly says that it was nothing illegal, just a good hard hit. How was that not a hit from behind? He saw nothing but the numbers the whole way, hasn't that been the league's catch phrase so far this year?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.