Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

I agree. There is no bias against Buffalo. There are Most Favored Teams, but I don't believe Philly to be one of them; rather, I think there's a "it's just Philly being Philly" thing.

The Most Favored Teams, again, are Boston, Detroit, Toronto, and Pittsburgh, with a "sometimes" for Rangers and Ottawa.

Philly is definitely on the list. Ed Snyder ranks very high on their list being the owner of comcast/nbc.

So are the Flyers. And the Devils and the Panthers are pretty crappy too.

But none of them are as bad as the Sabres.

I don't know. The Sabres are bad. But Edmonton is a wreck. They're just as poorly assembled as any Regier team.

They won't make it easy to claim the number one ticket in the lottery. What i have seen from them is nearly as bad as the Buffalo perfomances of this year. I think we will overtake one or two of them.

And that is why Sabres fans have a legitimate gripe.

For the record, on this squad, Scott should and does log more than four minutes a game. That's how bad we are.

Also, Eriksson is NOT a star player. He may play for a star team. but he is not a star player.

I stand corrected, Scott is a goon that plays 4:57 a game.

Eriksson may not come up in conversations when talking about elite players, you can be damned sure fans all around the NHL know who he is and know he is more than just an average player.

Sabre fans don't have a legitimate gripe. Rolston was fined for throwing a goon out on the ice. That is not what happened in Philly,

I stand corrected, Scott is a goon that plays 4:57 a game.

Eriksson may not come up in conversations when talking about elite players, you can be damned sure fans all around the NHL know who he is and know he is more than just an average player.

Sabre fans don't have a legitimate gripe. Rolston was fined for throwing a goon out on the ice. That is not what happened in Philly,

Just more of your "Buffalo bad, everyone else good" spin.

You could tell on that shift that Simmons had one purpose, to start a melee. And you know what, as a fan and a coach, that's what you want him to do when you are getting your ass handed to you on the scoreboard. All I'm saying is that when that happens in Buffalo, the penalties are greater and the fines are larger. You don't see that. You are wrong.

You could tell on that shift that Simmons had one purpose, to start a melee. And you know what, as a fan and a coach, that's what you want him to do when you are getting your ass handed to you on the scoreboard. All I'm saying is that when that happens in Buffalo, the penalties are greater and the fines are larger. You don't see that. You are wrong.

it is obvious that this "world is out to get to the Sabres" is a coping mechanism for those having difficulty reconciling the current state of the franchise. It's a delusion, it's sad and it's embarrassing. It's the type of rhetoric we should be mocking fans of other teams for not creating.

it is obvious that this "world is out to get to the Sabres" is a coping mechanism for those having difficulty reconciling the current state of the franchise. It's a delusion, it's sad and it's embarrassing. It's the type of rhetoric we should be mocking fans of other teams for not creating.

I never said the league is out to get the Sabres. I said they are treated differently.

No coach has ever been fined for "player selection" before. No player has ever received a seven game suspension for a first offense before.

Seem like we all have our coping mechanisms.

Edited by SwampD

DeLuca, you've gotta admit Swamp has a point here.

DeLuca, you've gotta admit Swamp has a point here.

Not if he is trying to equate what happen in Philly to the Leafs game or Bruins game. They are different situations. Simmonds is a productive forward who plays a regular shift and 16:30 a game.

I never said the league is out to get the Sabres. I said they are treated differently.

No coach has ever been fined for "player selection" before. No player has ever received a seven game suspension for a first offense before.

Seem like we all have our coping mechanisms.

It's an "offense" every time Scott steps on the ice. The NHL is recognizing what Scott is and what his purpose is. The major flaw in your logic is pretending Scott is just another player. Scott is a goon that represents what the NHL is trying eliminate from the game.

It's an "offense" every time Scott steps on the ice. The NHL is recognizing what Scott is and what his purpose is. The major flaw in your logic is pretending Scott is just another player. Scott is a goon that represents what the NHL is trying eliminate from the game.

Problem is, the league wasn't doing a very good job of protecting the Sabres. They lost a playoff series because Johnny Boychuk was able to slash the hell out of Vanek's ankle with impunity. They lost Miller for a month because Lucic was allowed to charge him with impunity. Going back, they lost Drury for a considerable period because Chris Neil was allowed to headhunt him with impunity.

So at what point does the team say, screw it, if the league isn't going to protect us, we're going to protect ourselves? Something had to be done. It was entirely appropriate to send a message to the league that the Sabres are going to protect themselves if the league won't do it.

This has nothing to do with Scott's hit, which I still consider reckless and worthy of a (shorter) suspension. It's just why he's on the roster, and it makes sense. If someone from the league were to contact DR tomorrow and say, "look, we've been remiss, and we'll do a better job of protecting your guys, but get Scott off the roster," DR would be wise to consider it, but it isn't going to happen.

All that said, back to Simmonds: I don't care if he's capable of playing regular minutes, or whether he's a more talented player than Scott. Apples to apples, he still was out there, at that point in the game, for one purpose: to start ######. And Scott was playing regular minutes in the game in which he was suspended.

Edited by Eleven

Not if he is trying to equate what happen in Philly to the Leafs game or Bruins game. They are different situations. Simmonds is a productive forward who plays a regular shift and 16:30 a game.

Are you actually Mike Milbury, because you sure whine like him.

Watch that video and tell me the league wants that taken out of the game. They showed Emory punching Holtby in the back of the head on the f#####g scoreboard during the f#####g game.

So by this logic, a predatory head shot isn't a predatory head shot if a productive player does it? Nice. All that should matter is the action, not the player who took the action.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Problem is, the league wasn't doing a very good job of protecting the Sabres. They lost a playoff series because Johnny Boychuk was able to slash the hell out of Vanek's ankle with impunity. They lost Miller for a month because Lucic was allowed to charge him with impunity. Going back, they lost Drury for a considerable period because Chris Neil was allowed to headhunt him with impunity.

So at what point does the team say, screw it, if the league isn't going to protect us, we're going to protect ourselves? Something had to be done. It was entirely appropriate to send a message to the league that the Sabres are going to protect themselves if the league won't do it.

This has nothing to do with Scott's hit, which I still consider reckless and worthy of a (shorter) suspension. It's just why he's on the roster, and it makes sense. If someone from the league were to contact DR tomorrow and say, "look, we've been remiss, and we'll do a better job of protecting your guys, but get Scott off the roster," DR would be wise to consider it, but it isn't going to happen.

All that said, back to Simmonds: I don't care if he's capable of playing regular minutes, or whether he's a more talented player than Scott. Apples to apples, he still was out there, at that point in the game, for one purpose: to start ######. And Scott was playing regular minutes in the game in which he was suspended.

Deluca is off the wagon Eleven. Don't even bother.

Are you actually Mike Milbury, because you sure whine like him.

Watch that video and tell me the league wants that taken out of the game. They showed Emory punching Holtby in the back of the head on the f#####g scoreboard during the f#####g game.

Now the league controls the Wells Fargo Center scoreboard? Please, loosen the tin foil. :doh:

So by this logic, a predatory head shot isn't a predatory head shot if a productive player does it? Nice. All that should matter is the action, not the player who took the action.

When that action is the only reason the one player is in the line-up you bet your a$$ it matters.

7 shifts for 5 minutes is a regular shift?

Now the league controls the Wells Fargo Center scoreboard? Please, loosen the tin foil. :doh:

You make me giggle.

Whether or not I wear a tinfoil hat is irrelevant. How does that disprove my point.

Edited by SwampD

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.