Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

If Markov-quality Dmen start getting $6MM per, that's a nice boost to Ehrhoff's trade value at $4MM.

Even more true with the cap continuing to increase with revenues on the rise.

More news from Bobby Mac

@TSNBobMcKenzie

CGY and pending UFA Mike Cammalleri still talking contract. Term, more than $, would appear to be the issue. #TSN

COL shopping winger P.A. Parenteau. Two years left on his deal at $4M per year. #TSN

Whatever CBJ plans on doing, it needs to resolve R.J. Umberger situation first. Umberger asked for trade in May. 3 more yrs at $4.5M per.

CBJ's last resort would be to buy out Umberger but Jackets hopeful there is a market for him. Remains to be seen the financial implications.

ANA big-game hunting for a C (Kesler/Spezza etc) to play behind Getzlaf. Well positioned to make a move: 8 NHL D and plethora of prospects.

BOS another team with 8 NHL D, likely to move at least one. Getting UFA Iginla signed is also a priority that affects nature of other moves.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Even more true with the cap continuing to increase with revenues on the rise.

More news from Bobby Mac

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Col could use Ehrhoff and PA would be a decent addition to our right side for a couple years. Wonder if something could be done. Guess we will wait and see. Colorado holds the 23rd overall pick in the 2014 NHL draft.

Pay close attention Doug and learn what moves you should not make:

@StapeNewsday

#Isles also announce Doug Weight named assistant GM, will remain assistant coach as well. Had been special advisor to GM.

@StapeNewsday

#Isles also officially add Bob Corkum as an assistant coach. Was basically one last season, now it's official.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

@TSNBobMcKenzie: However much salary cap increases, DET won't be able to take full advantage. Wings have more than $3M in bonus overage carrying forward.

It's believed the Devils and Bruins also have more than $3 mill in bonuse overage.

Makes sense to me since the draft is based on the results of the season that just ended.

Didn't think of that. Smart.

I'm assuming they also want the draft to be done so teams can focus on free agency and trades more afterwards. Unlike the NFL they don't use the draft as a giant spectacle.

Didn't think of that. Smart.

I'm assuming they also want the draft to be done so teams can focus on free agency and trades more afterwards. Unlike the NFL they don't use the draft as a giant spectacle.

Praise jeebus for that last part. Creating a spectacle around players nobody will see for three years would be nauseating. At least NFL picks you're probably going to see during the season in some capacity.

Now, I'm no Kings fan, but this headline/article is a great example of how LA hockey gets muted in national coverage.

"Kings center Kopitar proves to be elite player"

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=722739&cmpid=nhl-fb

Just now? Now he proves himself to be an elite player? After winning two cups? That's what it takes to be recognized by the league beat writers?

He was taken 11th overall. He put up 60 points his rookie year, back in 2006-2007. His sophomore year he netted 32 goals and 77 points. He just finished up his eighth season, over which his career regular season average is 74 points. He doesn't fail to bring it in the playoffs either. 60 points in 70 playoff games, going a full point per game pace in the Kings' Cup years.

When I caught my first Kings game in 2010, I was like "who the ###### is this guy and why have I never heard his name before??" Four years later, and eight years into his career, I guess the NHL staff writers finally decided to let the cat out of the bag. Next up on NHL.com: Lou Lamoriello establishes himself in the NHL, Hawks Coach Quenneville seen as 'pretty good'

@JSportsnet: Expect the NHL to have only 2 outdoor games during the 2014-15 NHL Regular season. We know 1 is in DC.

Thank The Lord.

@renlavoietva: Dale Weise and the Canadiens are close to a deal. It won't surprise me if a confirmation comes Tuesday. #tvasports

I think 26 is right. Time for a new thread. Should we have a free agency thread and then a miscellaneous offseason thread for trades, etc?

@JSportsnet: Expect the NHL to have only 2 outdoor games during the 2014-15 NHL Regular season. We know 1 is in DC.

Thank The Lord.

@renlavoietva: Dale Weise and the Canadiens are close to a deal. It won't surprise me if a confirmation comes Tuesday. #tvasports

I think 26 is right. Time for a new thread. Should we have a free agency thread and then a miscellaneous offseason thread for trades, etc?

Yes to both. NHL offseason and Free Agent Frenzy

Yes to both. NHL offseason and Free Agent Frenzy

Alright. Sounds good to me. I'll start the free agent frenzy off with some links and tidbits here in a second. There is already an offseason thread if somebody wants to unlock it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.