Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

According to McKenzie (the real one, not Freeman's :P) there could be some trouble brewing with O'Reilly and the Avs. A deal involving Ehrhoff could make a ton of sense for both teams if talks really deteriorate.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 4m

COL has, in fact, elected club salary arbitration on Ryan O'Reilly. Had to be filed by 5 pm ET today. And it was.

Those bastards. I think that he's can still sign an RFA offer sheet though.

That means there is a very good chance he will.

Better not be with us. We've sucked too damn much to give up those draft picks.

Those bastards. I think that he's can still sign an RFA offer sheet though.

That means there is a very good chance he will.

He can sign an offer sheet between July 1st and 5th. Other than that he's locked into the arbitration.

According to McKenzie (the real one, not Freeman's :P) there could be some trouble brewing with O'Reilly and the Avs. A deal involving Ehrhoff could make a ton of sense for both teams if talks really deteriorate.

They could get quite a bit more.

I've agreed to disagree on Ehrhoff's quality and value with basically everyone on this board. Safe to say, I value him much higher than most. I also valued Sekera much more highly than most ;)

Nope. I'm right with you. Or at least not far behind :P

It's just a case of grass is greener. Zad or Risto haven't had to carry a team at the pro level yet, so no-one can see flaws

Hell, most people prefer Zad over Risto, despite most scouts thinking Risto is a league or two above Zads

I've agreed to disagree on Ehrhoff's quality and value with basically everyone on this board. Safe to say, I value him much higher than most. I also valued Sekera much more highly than most ;)

This doesn't really have anything to do with how we see him valued. It's about how valuable O'Reilly is. Especially considering the weak free agent market for forwards this season. He'd instantly be the most attractive available player. He's 23. Don't forget that. Ehrhoff hardly starts the conversation. Number 2 starts the conversation.

This doesn't really have anything to do with how we see him valued. It's about how valuable O'Reilly is. Especially considering the weak free agent market for forwards this season. He'd instantly be the most attractive available player. He's 23. Don't forget that. Ehrhoff hardly starts the conversation. Number 2 starts the conversation.

Pardon? If we're talking about Ehrhoff as the centerpiece of a trade for O'Reilly, how we value him has everything to do with the discussion.

Pardon? If we're talking about Ehrhoff as the centerpiece of a trade for O'Reilly, how we value him has everything to do with the discussion.

Kind of. Your argument is that I'm just undervaluing Ehrhoff which isn't the case. I think he's more valuable than some have given him credit for. However, he's just not valuable enough to garner O'Reilly.

It's not that Ehrhoff isn't valuable, it's that O'Reilly is just so much more valuable.

Edited by Tankalicious

This ###### season has really tarnished Ehrhoff in some Sabrespacers' eyes.

He is no cornerstone, but he is probably among the 50 best defencemen in the NHL.

Smart, mobile, minute-munching defencemen who can contribute in all situations are highly valued in this league.

He could be the missing piece for a lot of good teams, Colorado included.

I love O'Reilly, but I think he is like Ehrhoff: a top-notch complimentary piece, not a cornerstone.

If he is on the market, he is the definition of what Murray said he'd be looking for in a trade.

Edited by dudacek

This ###### season has really tarnished Ehrhoff in some Sabrespacers' eyes.

He is no cornerstone, but he is probably among the 50 best defencemen in the NHL.

Smart, mobile, minute-munching defencemen who can contribute in all situations are highly valued in this league.

He could be the missing piece for a lot of good teams, Colorado included.

I love O'Reilly, but I think he is like Ehrhoff: a top-notch complimentary piece, not a cornerstone.

If he is on the market, he is the definition of what Murray said he'd be looking for in a trade.

He's an ideal #3. A guy that can log big minutes if he has to, and stretch the ice creating match-up problems.

As a #2 - he's not that useful.

I think Erhoff has plenty of value. I'm fine if he sticks around too. I just think he might be worth more somewhere else.

O'Reilly is far more than a number three. He's the "ideal #3" in the same way he's the ideal #4: if you have him on your third or fourth line in his prime you're probably winning multiple championships. I'm not saying he's a #1, but he'd be a great second line guy. He was a 30-40 guy at 23. He's near a point-per-game already.

He had just TWO penalty minutes throughout the entire season. Do you realize how crazy that is? And that lone penalty was because he carried a broken stick without realizing it.

O'Reilly is far more than a number three. He's the "ideal #3" in the same way he's the ideal #4: if you have him on your third or fourth line in his prime you're probably winning multiple championships. I'm not saying he's a #1, but he'd be a great second line guy. He was a 30-40 guy at 23. He's near a point-per-game already.

He had just TWO penalty minutes throughout the entire season. Do you realize how crazy that is? And that lone penalty was because he carried a broken stick without realizing it.

I think he was referring to Ehrhoff as the "number 3".

Just like when you and other posters start referring to "number 2, 31, and 39". Clarification is needed. I'm spending 5 minutes if not half the day trying to figure out who is wearing Horton, Miller, and Hasek's and why are the Sabres letting anyone do it. Then it dawns on me you are talking about draft picks.

I like the brief snippets I've seen of O'Reilly but to only get one penalty all season is not crazy in my book, it's cause for alarm. I like that he isn't slashing or hooking his way into the sin bin, but no inadvertent boarding, charging, roughing? How involved is he?

Edited by inkman

I think he was referring to Ehrhoff as the "number 3".

Just like when you and other posters start referring to "number 2, 31, and 39". Clarification is needed. I'm spending 5 minutes if not half the day trying to figure out who is wearing Horton, Miller, and Hasek's and why are the Sabres letting anyone do it. Then it dawns on me you are talking about draft picks.

I like the brief snippets I've seen of O'Reilly but to only get one penalty all season is not crazy in my book, it's cause for alarm. I like that he isn't slashing or hooking his way into the sin bin, but no inadvertent boarding, charging, roughing? How involved is he?

Having no legitimate penalties all season shows that O'Reilly is always playing a smart game. That's premeditated. You don't avoid penalties by playing lazy. You'd think he would slip up SOMEWHERE, but he never did.

Having no legitimate penalties all season shows that O'Reilly is always playing a smart game. That's premeditated. You don't avoid penalties by playing lazy. You'd think he would slip up SOMEWHERE, but he never did.

There is definitely something very admirable about his feat but I'd prefer a guy in his role to have atleast 50-100 PIM's because he plays on the edge. I should preface that with I ain't your ordinary hockey fan...or maybe I am. ;)

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Looks like Ales Hemsky going to UFA. OTT offered 3 yrs for about $10M. Rejected. Sens prepared to trade his UFA rights for pick. #TSN

@TSNBobMcKenzie

I don't think it's very far down road, if at all, but my sense is WPG much more open to considering trade for any player, incl Evander Kane.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Kind of. Your argument is that I'm just undervaluing Ehrhoff which isn't the case. I think he's more valuable than some have given him credit for. However, he's just not valuable enough to garner O'Reilly.

It's not that Ehrhoff isn't valuable, it's that O'Reilly is just so much more valuable.

I value O'Reilly as highly as you do, and I don't think he's *that* much more valuable than Ehrhoff. Yes O'Reilly is younger, but he's also going to be more expensive, and for a team on an internal budget (again it may change now that they're good, but I'll believe it when I see it) that's significant. The Avs' biggest problem last year was a lack of defensive depth and poor puck possession, which was only made worse when Barrie went down. Ehrhoff directly addresses both of those issues, for less money than O'Reilly will get (and possibly a *lot* less). Ehrhoff had a bum shoulder and still led the 'Nucks in ice time when they pushed Boston to 7 games in the Final, and there hasn't been any slippage in his play (spare me the raw offensive totals, I know them, and they're not because of him)--I think something like Ehrhoff + StL's 1st is a good trade for both teams, and that is largely due to my valuation of Ehrhoff.

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Looks like Ales Hemsky going to UFA. OTT offered 3 yrs for about $10M. Rejected. Sens prepared to trade his UFA rights for pick. #TSN

@TSNBobMcKenzie

I don't think it's very far down road, if at all, but my sense is WPG much more open to considering trade for any player, incl Evander Kane.

I so hate this f'n twitter thing and the abbreviations.

I thought OTT (as in Steve) was offered 3 for 10.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.