Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

I don't think Luongo is a baby at all. The way Gillis handled the team is appalling. He basically told Luongo he was going for a year and a half and then traded the other guy. If this was Darcy you guys would not be calling the player out but calling for Darcy's head (more so). And to those who think that he would not find another job are idiotic. Why would he not get another job? He is still a really decent player.

I'm slightly concerned about this boards understanding of goaltenders

there are no goaltenders here ..lol

I don't think Luongo is a baby at all. The way Gillis handled the team is appalling. He basically told Luongo he was going for a year and a half and then traded the other guy. If this was Darcy you guys would not be calling the player out but calling for Darcy's head (more so). And to those who think that he would not find another job are idiotic. Why would he not get another job? He is still a really decent player.

I'm slightly concerned about this boards understanding of goaltenders

For being in Oxford, UK you don't write English very *goodly*, my friend ... :P .

What exactly are you saying in the part I underlined and bolded? That the idea is idiotic, or are the posters that voiced an opinion idiotic?

Anyway, I posted that IMO, he would not void his current contract, because he may not get another one. That's very different then saying he wouldn't get one.

For being in Oxford, UK you don't write English very *goodly*, my friend ... :P .

What exactly are you saying in the part I underlined and bolded? That the idea is idiotic, or are the posters that voiced an opinion idiotic?

Anyway, I posted that IMO, he would not void his current contract, because he may not get another one. That's very different then saying he wouldn't get one.

Sorry, I was in hospital this weekend so wasn't very aware of what i was writing :P

I am saying the idea that a top goalie may not/wouldn't/thought he wouldn't/thought he may not get a top contract is idiotic (it wasn't aimed at you, others had also expressed the view). There is a market for goalies out there, only nobody really wants to trade for one at the moment. Every year there is a goalie who is red hot and comes from no where - i think teams are trying to hope that this will be them this year and so avoid trading for one. There are lots of young promising ones as well, but Miller will get a contract on July 1st and Luongo would have comfortably got a deal if he voided his contract.

Gillis just handled the situation appallingly and I think Luongo handled the situation with class. He never whined or complained to the media (please not the difference between that and answering a question honestly when asked). He has won an olympic gold medal, two president's trophies and taken his team to the stanley cup final but he gets very little 'love' from the fans

Sorry, I was in hospital this weekend so wasn't very aware of what i was writing :P

I am saying the idea that a top goalie may not/wouldn't/thought he wouldn't/thought he may not get a top contract is idiotic (it wasn't aimed at you, others had also expressed the view). There is a market for goalies out there, only nobody really wants to trade for one at the moment. Every year there is a goalie who is red hot and comes from no where - i think teams are trying to hope that this will be them this year and so avoid trading for one. There are lots of young promising ones as well, but Miller will get a contract on July 1st and Luongo would have comfortably got a deal if he voided his contract.

Gillis just handled the situation appallingly and I think Luongo handled the situation with class. He never whined or complained to the media (please not the difference between that and answering a question honestly when asked). He has won an olympic gold medal, two president's trophies and taken his team to the stanley cup final but he gets very little 'love' from the fans

I hope it was / is nothing too serious, but anytime one is in the hospital it's serious enough. I hope all is well. I hope you tell me you were just visiting someone.

I understand your point. It's very valid except for the part about Luongo handling everything with class. If those twitter posts that Weave posted are legit ... not very classy, IMO.

It's all good.

=====

I took d4rk's advise and am using Chrome for this site ... I'm still running XP on my office computers, believe it or not, and IE 8 is terrible and soon to be not supported, along with XP, by Microsoft. I guess I will need to step into 2010 soon. I am using Windows 8 on my PC for my teaching gig and I really hate it.

No doubt he gets another deal, probably not something liek he currently has but a #1 goaltender type deal. There were takers for Luongo when he was on trading block, but the stumbling blocks were that no one wanted to trade for Luongo and his entire contract, while having to give up anything of value to the Cnaucks and not include a similar salary dump back to Vancouver. Gillis didn't want to give Luongo away just to get out of the contract, he wanted a good return back. Teams like the leafs, Flyers and other would have been fighting over him in FA if he was available and they didn't have to give up anything good in return.

The Canucks had to do something because the entire situation was becoming more and more of a distraction that was going to cost Gillis his job if he didn't do something so he unloaded the one that he would get the best return for. The problem is that for so long, it was always how luongo would be traded and how the Canucks would ship him out because they liked the "up and comer" with the smaller salary. The front office was making it known they wanted to move him, fans turned on him because they liked the idea of the younger guy better, the media was consistently asking him about hsi contract and the fact that the team was going to move him somewhere else, Luongo got himself to the point where he knew he was being moved out and then all of the sudden the other guy is moved and they say Luo is their guy. I don't think I would be overly excited to come back to that either.

Luongo on an open market would have no problem finding a newer job with a smaller deal, he has been one of the top goalies in the league for many years. He isn't one of the MANY one year wonders who teams go out and give big FA contracts to for maybe a couple of good seasons (Bryz, Bobrovsky, etc.)

What are you a lawyer or a beaurocrat trying to give your self some wiggle room... may not is a phrase that we used to use to sound like we were doing something legislatively, knowing full well any good lawyer could drive a truck through it in court. Really, so you obfuscated, while still sounding like you were making a point. So what do you really think, without modifiers or qualifiers. :P

What are you a lawyer or a beaurocrat trying to give your self some wiggle room... may not is a phrase that we used to use to sound like we were doing something legislatively, knowing full well any good lawyer could drive a truck through it in court. Really, so you obfuscated, while still sounding like you were making a point. So what do you really think, without modifiers or qualifiers. :P

:w00t:

Actually I am a professional accountant and very recently became a teacher on top of running my own accounting practice.

I have many friends who are lawyers (Hi, 11) and they all have the gift of gab, without actually saying anything ... ;)

So, I am saying that I don't think Luongo would ever get a contract like he has now. And, if he actually voided it he may not get another one at all ... :P

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.