Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

So, the Islanders were on the front page of NHL.com because they visited the Barclay Center, which, I didn't realize until now, was retrofitted from basketball-only. So it's weird. And pretty laughable.

barclays-center-seating-chart.jpg

Keep in mind that this cost $1 billion to build. That's 5.3 times what it would cost to build the FNC today. And because it wasn't designed for hockey, the atrocious sightlines eliminate seats. It seats "14,500" for hockey, which is the smallest venue in the NHL and a move down from the 16,170 of the (dilapidated) Coliseum. It's like the team is skating in a world class college hockey rink- three NCAA venues have higher capacity. More pics here, including a pic of the scoreboard that's over there.

a_560x375.jpg

I'm not knocking it that hard. I'm sure for the dollars-per-seat spent, it's a nice lavish place to catch a game, and everyone knows it'll be better than the Coliseum, but damned if it isn't funny looking. WANG'D.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

So, the Islanders were on the front page of NHL.com because they visited the Barclay Center, which, I didn't realize until now, was retrofitted from basketball-only. So it's weird. And pretty laughable.

Keep in mind that this cost $1 billion to build. That's 5.3 times what it would cost to build the FNC today. And it seats "14,500" for hockey, which is the smallest venue in the NHL and a move down from the 16,170 of the (dilapidated) Coliseum. It's like the team is skating in a world class college hockey rink- three NCAA venues have higher capacity. More pics here, including a pic of the scoreboard that's over there.

a_560x375.jpg

I'm not knocking it that hard. I'm sure for the dollars-per-seat spent, it's a nice lavish place to catch a game, and everyone knows it'll be better than the Coliseum, but damned if it isn't funny looking. WANG'D.

Islanders hockey brought to you by Advil. Because trying to read the jumbotron is going to suck.

Keep in mind that this cost $1 billion to build. That's 5.3 times what it would cost to build the FNC today. And because it wasn't designed for hockey, the atrocious sightlines eliminate seats. It seats "14,500" for hockey, which is the smallest venue in the NHL and a move down from the 16,170 of the (dilapidated) Coliseum. It's like the team is skating in a world class college hockey rink- three NCAA venues have higher capacity. More pics here, including a pic of the scoreboard that's over there.

a_560x375.jpg

When the US Airway center was built in PHX years ago it was basketball only. When we got the Coyotes they had to play there where a couple of thousand seats could not see the entire ice surface. Ours was built with taxpayer money, bet the Brooklyn one was too.

As much as the old Aud was loved, don't forget that after they "raised the roof" and added the balcony (i.e., orange seats), it hung down so low it blocked the view of the scoreboard from the upper blues. They had to install TV monitors so that fans could see how much time was left in the period. Every arena has its quirks. Although most of them don't cost $1,000,000,000.00 :blink:

It gets better. Barclays was originally going to pay $400M dollars for the naming rights for 20 years (a world record for an indoor arena), but renegotiated down to more than $200M dollars. Barclays does not have or even plan to have any retail bank branches in the US and did not put any of its own ATMs in the building.

Zany.

It gets better. Barclays was originally going to pay $400M dollars for the naming rights for 20 years (a world record for an indoor arena), but renegotiated down to more than $200M dollars. Barclays does not have or even plan to have any retail bank branches in the US and did not put any of its own ATMs in the building.

Zany.

And they have their golf tourney in the States too. What's their deal?

Lot of Brits watch Golf on TV maybe?

Lot of Brits sure as ###### don't go to Islanders games.

Not sure what's up with their marketing. US FERC just fined the ###### out of them for gaming the energy markets though using new regulations that came as a result of the Enron energy market gaming-induced blackouts.

Don't see many going to Nets Basketball games either

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.