First I want to apologize for starting a new thread for my own "cleansing of the soul." Feel free to close it at any time.

For the record,

I hate that Darcy is still here.

I have no problem with Rolston as coach.

The Pegula era has been a "huge" disappointment that I take personally because he made it personal.

I don't believe the Sabres truly intend to make us "suffer" for the foreseable future. I think it is a business strategy designed to "promise less, deliver more."

All that being said, I can't go through the next few months continuously recounting the past 16 years.

So going forward, it is going to be the optimistic Tom Webster. I am going to pretend that DR actually started the rebuild when he traded Paul Gaustad and I am going to look forward to the development of Grig, Girgs, Lars, Armia et al.

So here it goes;

I'm looking forward to next year. Tyler Myers will return to potential Norris finalist, Pysyk and McNabb will challenge for rookie of the year, Marcus Foligno will overcome his sophomore slump, Cody will move to right wing and score 40 goals and Darcy will acquire the number 4 pick who will take the league by storm. With some solid goaltending (Bernier?), this team could challenge for a playoff spot and start the ride to Cup contender.

Please be gentle.

If you can't look forward with rose colored glasses, sports (and Buffalo sports in particular) are not for you. I salute your spirit of optimism.

I am always looking forward to a new season of Sabres hockey, I admit that my expectations are lower than they were a couple years back, but I am still excited to see how we draft, what Grigorenko will do, if we can hold on to Vanek, is Armia the real deal, Zemgus the Locomotive and many other little things that keeps a Sabres heart beating.

I would also like to point out that if Andrew Peters gets his way and we get 15 goals from Patrick Kaleta next year, that will be a great thing for the Sabres :ph34r:

So this is Hockey.

Good honest post TW. I see what you did there. Positives and hope always welcome by me.

It is what it is and I can choose how I want to handle it. Family, golf and libations for me for the summer and back at it come fall be what it may.

I'm with Tom on this.

The past season was an enormous dissappointment on many, many levels, but it's in the history books now. Let's move on and focus on the better pieces of this still-excellent franchise for our rebuild. I look forward to many things upcoming this offseason, including what should be at least an interesting, if not reinvigorating, draft.

The sad thing is.....people are already using coping mechanisms for next year.....and we still have 90% of the first round of this year's playoffs up for grabs!

I can't blame anyone for wanting to keep a positive outlook for the sake of having entertainment to look forward to. Hey....I'm gonna hit that superfecta at the track, and I think that stripper REALLY digs me! I just hate having to mind-f myself when I know it is possible to have a structure I truly believe in. It's been so long with the Sabres that I almost get more entertainment out of them as a comedy of errors than I do actually loving the game of hockey and Buffalo. I remember living in Miami and driving 30 minutes to watch the Sabres/Sens double OT playoff game because it was the only bar around that would let me put it on the big screen....and then trying to navigate home after the win. I had hope back then. I had hope when I would scalp standing room tickets at the Aud for playoff games against the Bruins when I was a kid. I had hope when I walked into my Labor Management class in my Sabres jersey, and handed the instructor my project early...as I needed to get down to the clincher against Ottawa. He asked me, "so you think a hockey game is more importatnt than my class?" I answered, "There's only one Game 7....there are 30 of your classes". I had hope then....and I will gladly take the B- in exchange for having that moment in person.

I wish I could have hope now. Not only are we saddled with an albatross of a decision maker for the hockey department, but the frustrating thing is that we seemingly have "one of us" as an owner without financial limitations and a team president who told us that transparency and communication with the fans was of utmost importance when they first arrived. There was so much to hope for. A successful businessman and passionate hockey family with local roots taking over the team, and a friendly president who had big ideas, could think outside the box, and who didn't take himself too seriously. I have to admit....I was giddy with the prospects of this thing.

Now however, the all too familiar rug of capitalistic self-preservation is being pulled from under me, and the shell game of hockey owner or real estate developer rears it's ugly head again. I didn't think it would go this route....at least not so fast. It would be so easy for me to regain hope. If for just a moment, Mr. Black and Mr. Pegula could sit down and honestly evaluate what is the more tragic outcome......to relieve 1 person from this franchise who has collected an estimated $20 million in salary over the years from this franchise, no matter how much you may like him or feel comfortable with him?.....or........the hundreds?...thousands?....hundreds of thousands? of Sabres fans who no longer have hope and are quickly losing any faith and goodwill they may have had in ownership because of the decision to keep 1 person...over the passion and psyche of the majority of the fanbase?

There's a warehouse worker who splits season tickets with his 6 buddies who would love to actually go to the arena believing in this team instead of going out of obligation. There is a family in Fort Erie who is debating if it is really worth it to sit on a bridge for 2 hours in traffic on a weekend in order to see this team. There is a whole generation of kids playing street hockey....and for the next few years, they won't be fighting over who is Pat LaFontaine....who is Danny Gare....who is Chris Drury...or who is Gil Perreault.........they will be using the same coping techniques as those on this board....."I guess I can be Leino.....you wanna be Porter?"

I can't begrudge anyone for truly having hope. I just wish I could again as well.........

post.

of.

the.

decade.

that's too kind, by an order of magnitude.

i don't really know anything about the guy who's giving the speech -- but i like the thing as a short film.

EDIT: geez -- the speaker is the guy who wrote "infinite jest" (david foster wallace) -- the same guy who was afflicted with such a debilitating depression that he hung himself. whatever -- the sentiments are still beautiful.

First I want to apologize for starting a new thread for my own "cleansing of the soul." Feel free to close it at any time.

For the record,

The Pegula era has been a "huge" disappointment that I take personally because he made it personal.

I don't believe the Sabres truly intend to make us "suffer" for the foreseable future. I think it is a business strategy designed to "promise less, deliver more."

All that being said, I can't go through the next few months continuously recounting the past 16 years.

So going forward, it is going to be the optimistic Tom Webster. I am going to pretend that DR actually started the rebuild when he traded Paul Gaustad and I am going to look forward to the development of Grig, Girgs, Lars, Armia et al.

So here it goes;

I'm looking forward to next year. Tyler Myers will return to potential Norris finalist, Pysyk and McNabb will challenge for rookie of the year, Marcus Foligno will overcome his sophomore slump, Cody will move to right wing and score 40 goals and Darcy will acquire the number 4 pick who will take the league by storm. With some solid goaltending (Bernier?), this team could challenge for a playoff spot and start the ride to Cup contender.

Please be gentle.

...and this is the very moment when the bullet enters Winston Smith's brain...

Unfortunately many of the greatest moments for a fan in Buffalo sports history have been before the games are played or the pick ihas been taken. ...however there is always the chance it can change... That is why they play the games ... and that is why we watch.

There is no need to apologize we all hope your right.

The glass is not half full or half empty. It is being misused. Dump out the water and fill it with beer.

For the record,

So here it goes;

Please be gentle.

TW, love the attempt, I wish I could come around, I used to be an optomist in regard to the Sabres, am returning to one with the Bills maybe because I haven't paid as much attention lately an ignorance is Bliss, but it is going to take one of those young high centers the Sabres have drafted in the late rounds breaking through and making the big leagues before I actually can turn around my skepticism. Still valiant effort.

My latest optimism is my oldest child's left arm and determination at pitching, The kid has a nasty breaking ball that I didn't teach him and his fast ball is starting to hurt, gonna need to get a catch glove or live with a broken hand, he is eight. :)

TW, love the attempt, I wish I could come around, I used to be an optomist in regard to the Sabres, am returning to one with the Bills maybe because I haven't paid as much attention lately an ignorance is Bliss, but it is going to take one of those young high centers the Sabres have drafted in the late rounds breaking through and making the big leagues before I actually can turn around my skepticism. Still valiant effort.

My latest optimism is my oldest child's left arm and determination at pitching, The kid has a nasty breaking ball that I didn't teach him and his fast ball is starting to hurt, gonna need to get a catch glove or live with a broken hand, he is eight. :)

come back when his slap shot will shatter ankles and he has a saucer pass that would make an athiest praise jesus!!!!!

sorry i just can't make myself talk baseball lol

For the record,

So here it goes;

Please be gentle.

Unfortunately, these aren't reasons for optimism. These are wishes.

For the record,

So here it goes;

Please be gentle.

Good man.

I'm optimistic too. What the heck. Rolston is going to coax them into the playoffs next year.

Archived