There is no such thing as optimisim in BFLO. It's the only thing keeping it together.

Boy, there's a glass half empty for ya. Isn't it optimism that fills The Ralph 8 (sorry, 7 :wallbash:) times a year and The F'NC 42 times? Isn't it optimism that buys GameCenter and The Sunday Ticket year after year to watch one team that never makes the playoffs and another that misses them more than it makes them?

Sorry, but our attitude is a direct result of the performances our teams, not some character flaw that you seem to think we all have. I think optimism is the only thing holding us together. Every year, at the start of a season I think, "This is the one. This is the year we'll be good."

One of these years I'll be right.

The sad thing is.....people are already using coping mechanisms for next year.....and we still have 90% of the first round of this year's playoffs up for grabs!

I can't blame anyone for wanting to keep a positive outlook for the sake of having entertainment to look forward to. Hey....I'm gonna hit that superfecta at the track, and I think that stripper REALLY digs me! I just hate having to mind-f myself when I know it is possible to have a structure I truly believe in. It's been so long with the Sabres that I almost get more entertainment out of them as a comedy of errors than I do actually loving the game of hockey and Buffalo. I remember living in Miami and driving 30 minutes to watch the Sabres/Sens double OT playoff game because it was the only bar around that would let me put it on the big screen....and then trying to navigate home after the win. I had hope back then. I had hope when I would scalp standing room tickets at the Aud for playoff games against the Bruins when I was a kid. I had hope when I walked into my Labor Management class in my Sabres jersey, and handed the instructor my project early...as I needed to get down to the clincher against Ottawa. He asked me, "so you think a hockey game is more importatnt than my class?" I answered, "There's only one Game 7....there are 30 of your classes". I had hope then....and I will gladly take the B- in exchange for having that moment in person.

I wish I could have hope now. Not only are we saddled with an albatross of a decision maker for the hockey department, but the frustrating thing is that we seemingly have "one of us" as an owner without financial limitations and a team president who told us that transparency and communication with the fans was of utmost importance when they first arrived. There was so much to hope for. A successful businessman and passionate hockey family with local roots taking over the team, and a friendly president who had big ideas, could think outside the box, and who didn't take himself too seriously. I have to admit....I was giddy with the prospects of this thing.

Now however, the all too familiar rug of capitalistic self-preservation is being pulled from under me, and the shell game of hockey owner or real estate developer rears it's ugly head again. I didn't think it would go this route....at least not so fast. It would be so easy for me to regain hope. If for just a moment, Mr. Black and Mr. Pegula could sit down and honestly evaluate what is the more tragic outcome......to relieve 1 person from this franchise who has collected an estimated $20 million in salary over the years from this franchise, no matter how much you may like him or feel comfortable with him?.....or........the hundreds?...thousands?....hundreds of thousands? of Sabres fans who no longer have hope and are quickly losing any faith and goodwill they may have had in ownership because of the decision to keep 1 person...over the passion and psyche of the majority of the fanbase?

There's a warehouse worker who splits season tickets with his 6 buddies who would love to actually go to the arena believing in this team instead of going out of obligation. There is a family in Fort Erie who is debating if it is really worth it to sit on a bridge for 2 hours in traffic on a weekend in order to see this team. There is a whole generation of kids playing street hockey....and for the next few years, they won't be fighting over who is Pat LaFontaine....who is Danny Gare....who is Chris Drury...or who is Gil Perreault.........they will be using the same coping techniques as those on this board....."I guess I can be Leino.....you wanna be Porter?"

I can't begrudge anyone for truly having hope. I just wish I could again as well.........

Most eloquently put...and my feelings exactly.

If anyone else needs Kool-Aid, this comes straight from Ripley's "It could happen":

• Rolston's attention to detail and teaching skills pay off with the kids; own zone fire sales drop significantly
  • Miller decides he's a Sabre, signs an extension and adopts a new Zen persona in public; his calmness gives the youngsters the confidence they need
  • Vanek plays for a new contract and has his most consistent season yet, staying in and around the top 10 in scoring all season
  • Hodgson takes another step, tightening his defensive game and becoming a key cog in an improving power play
  • Foligno refocuses, becoming an every-game beast in the dirty areas; his line with an embarrassed Stafford and a more mature Ennis becomes the real second line we all hoped it would be.
  • Larsson is a revelation, bulling his way onto the roster, adding a mix of tenacity, smarts and skill to the Hodgson/Vanek combo
  • Grigorenko doesn't turn into a star, but he does become an NHL player, sliding in between Ott and Leino for a regular shift and making a contribution on the power play
  • Leino plays the whole season and plays well, adding puck possession and between 40 and 50 points.
  • Tropp, Kaleta, Porter and Scott play with enough fire and smarts to keep the top nine honest and opponents taking penalties in frustration
  • The new power play coach figures out a way to make Ehrhoff look like he did on the PP for Vancouver
  • Mike Weber joins Ott as team leader and tone setter, playing Regehr's role better than Regehr did
  • Pysyk and McNabb are way better than Leopold and Brennan
  • Tyler Myers gets his groove back
  • Dudacek buys a winning lottery ticket
  • He doesn't care; he's too busy watching, as RJ makes call after spine-tingling playoff call on the run to the cup.

Summer is always the best time to be a Sabres fan.

I like the optimism in this thread. I can only read the Darcy bashings for so long (even though I agree with it all).

I'm going to throw out Armia as a guy that gets me looking forward to next season. He was a first round pick (16th overall) in the 2011 NHL Entry draft. He's therefore had two full seasons of learning the pro game in the Finish Elite League which is suppose to be a high end league. He's got decent looking numbers and good size. Plus, I think he gets much less exposure because he plays across the pond so I'm not sure too many of us really know what his game looks like. I can't wait to see what he can do next season.

There is a new core that started to form of the previous few years and will continue over the next couple of drafts. Armia will be a a big piece of this new core imo.

If anyone else needs Kool-Aid, this comes straight from Ripley's "It could happen":

• Rolston's attention to detail and teaching skills pay off with the kids; own zone fire sales drop significantly
  • Miller decides he's a Sabre, signs an extension and adopts a new Zen persona in public; his calmness gives the youngsters the confidence they need
  • Vanek plays for a new contract and has his most consistent season yet, staying in and around the top 10 in scoring all season
  • Hodgson takes another step, tightening his defensive game and becoming a key cog in an improving power play
  • Foligno refocuses, becoming an every-game beast in the dirty areas; his line with an embarrassed Stafford and a more mature Ennis becomes the real second line we all hoped it would be.
  • Larsson is a revelation, bulling his way onto the roster, adding a mix of tenacity, smarts and skill to the Hodgson/Vanek combo
  • Grigorenko doesn't turn into a star, but he does become an NHL player, sliding in between Ott and Leino for a regular shift and making a contribution on the power play
  • Leino plays the whole season and plays well, adding puck possession and between 40 and 50 points.
  • Tropp, Kaleta, Porter and Scott play with enough fire and smarts to keep the top nine honest and opponents taking penalties in frustration
  • The new power play coach figures out a way to make Ehrhoff look like he did on the PP for Vancouver
  • Mike Weber joins Ott as team leader and tone setter, playing Regehr's role better than Regehr did
  • Pysyk and McNabb are way better than Leopold and Brennan
  • Tyler Myers gets his groove back
  • Dudacek buys a winning lottery ticket
  • He doesn't care; he's too busy watching, as RJ makes call after spine-tingling playoff call on the run to the cup.

Summer is always the best time to be a Sabres fan.

Good stuff....all possible....if they hit on 60% you may see the playoffs.....

I am just excited because my 5 year old boy is now hooked on watching the NHL games right now and it just came out of nowhere (well I might have had something do with it.) You have to pry him away from the playoff hockey for bed time and I couldn't be happier. Just taking him to the Sabres games next year in this new phase is good enough for me! Let's get a team that really IS tough to play against night in and night out (as Rolston said) and I think gradually, the atmosphere will start to change in that building.

Anyone can be a Cinderella team.

Oh, but we don't want that. I mean, we could be "just" a playoff team, but we have the eyes on a bigger prize: dominant, elite roster that can roar through multiple runs to the Cup. We clean franchises that want to make the playoffs off the bottom of our shoes. How gauche.

The sad thing is.....people are already using coping mechanisms for next year.....and we still have 90% of the first round of this year's playoffs up for grabs!

I can't blame anyone for wanting to keep a positive outlook for the sake of having entertainment to look forward to. Hey....I'm gonna hit that superfecta at the track, and I think that stripper REALLY digs me! I just hate having to mind-f myself when I know it is possible to have a structure I truly believe in. It's been so long with the Sabres that I almost get more entertainment out of them as a comedy of errors than I do actually loving the game of hockey and Buffalo. I remember living in Miami and driving 30 minutes to watch the Sabres/Sens double OT playoff game because it was the only bar around that would let me put it on the big screen....and then trying to navigate home after the win. I had hope back then. I had hope when I would scalp standing room tickets at the Aud for playoff games against the Bruins when I was a kid. I had hope when I walked into my Labor Management class in my Sabres jersey, and handed the instructor my project early...as I needed to get down to the clincher against Ottawa. He asked me, "so you think a hockey game is more importatnt than my class?" I answered, "There's only one Game 7....there are 30 of your classes". I had hope then....and I will gladly take the B- in exchange for having that moment in person.

I wish I could have hope now. Not only are we saddled with an albatross of a decision maker for the hockey department, but the frustrating thing is that we seemingly have "one of us" as an owner without financial limitations and a team president who told us that transparency and communication with the fans was of utmost importance when they first arrived. There was so much to hope for. A successful businessman and passionate hockey family with local roots taking over the team, and a friendly president who had big ideas, could think outside the box, and who didn't take himself too seriously. I have to admit....I was giddy with the prospects of this thing.

Now however, the all too familiar rug of capitalistic self-preservation is being pulled from under me, and the shell game of hockey owner or real estate developer rears it's ugly head again. I didn't think it would go this route....at least not so fast. It would be so easy for me to regain hope. If for just a moment, Mr. Black and Mr. Pegula could sit down and honestly evaluate what is the more tragic outcome......to relieve 1 person from this franchise who has collected an estimated $20 million in salary over the years from this franchise, no matter how much you may like him or feel comfortable with him?.....or........the hundreds?...thousands?....hundreds of thousands? of Sabres fans who no longer have hope and are quickly losing any faith and goodwill they may have had in ownership because of the decision to keep 1 person...over the passion and psyche of the majority of the fanbase?

There's a warehouse worker who splits season tickets with his 6 buddies who would love to actually go to the arena believing in this team instead of going out of obligation. There is a family in Fort Erie who is debating if it is really worth it to sit on a bridge for 2 hours in traffic on a weekend in order to see this team. There is a whole generation of kids playing street hockey....and for the next few years, they won't be fighting over who is Pat LaFontaine....who is Danny Gare....who is Chris Drury...or who is Gil Perreault.........they will be using the same coping techniques as those on this board....."I guess I can be Leino.....you wanna be Porter?"

I can't begrudge anyone for truly having hope. I just wish I could again as well.........

Find the half empty bottles of whatever you were taking that gave you hope the bills could compete without a quarterback. Surely that cocktail can let you believe the Sabres can compete without a GM.

I'm not sure DeLuca is capable of posting in an optimism thread. :) :)

You should have been around back after the first lockout, I was accused of being a Pollyanna

It's our fault for not specifying that the glass wasn't half full of piss.

Is that the flavor of Kool-Aid that Pegula is putting in the fan's glasses these days.

• 1 month later...

ROY Myers replaces Myers of the last few years

Horton replaces Stafford and never has a severe injury again

Mikhail exceeds expectations

Pysyk really is a young Keith.

Enroth and ??? do a Crawford impersonation

Playoffs?

Entertaining?

Hope for the future?

ROY Myers replaces Myers of the last few years

Horton replaces Stafford and never has a severe injury again

Mikhail exceeds expectations

Pysyk really is a young Keith.

Enroth and ??? do a Crawford impersonation

Playoffs?

Entertaining?

Hope for the future?

IF Myers recovers from a couple of sub-par seasons and at least 1 of these 2 1st rounders hit, the D could actually be very solid in 3 years.

Ehrhoff - Myers

Ristolainen - Pysyk

Weber - McNabb

Zadarov - McCabe

Archived