Brennan traded to Florida... and now Nashville

Two or less

I can't blame this one on "mismanagement" since he wouldn't have cleared waivers, but its still garbage. Brennan was shredding the AHL during the NHL lockout. Surely there would have been teams interested in him if he had continued to play in the AHL and probably lead the Amerks in points, instead of sitting the bench 75% of the time in Buffalo and doing not much of anything. Now all that worrying about losing him to waivers was for naught, to trade him for a 5th round pick... I don't know.

I'm not overly disappointed in losing Brennan, but I would have thought you could get more for him than a 5th rounder.

I can't blame this one on "mismanagement" since he wouldn't have cleared waivers, but its still garbage. Brennan was shredding the AHL during the NHL lockout. Surely there would have been teams interested in him if he had continued to play in the AHL and probably lead the Amerks in points, instead of sitting the bench 75% of the time in Buffalo and doing not much of anything. Now all that worrying about losing him to waivers was for naught, to trade him for a 5th round pick... I don't know.

I'm not overly disappointed in losing Brennan, but I would have thought you could get more for him than a 5th rounder.

yeah, but florida is really bad this year so that 5th rounder is almost a 4th rounder.

Edit: Nah, apparently we're getting NJD's 5th rounder. NJD>LAK>FLA>BUF.. Seems like no one want's that 5th rounder...

Don't like it. Not that I love Brennan, but he never got a chance behind aging players who will not be here when we are good.

This should have been Leopold. Brennan plays out the season in his spot as an audition for next season.

We probably could have gotten a lot more had we traded him last season or right before this season. Regier guessed wrong.

I guess this kinda sorta makes up for the 4th round pick we don't have this year (from the Gaustad trade).

Keep going, Darcy, more trades like this but for better picks.

A lot more? I don't know about that. I doubt there was much market for him at any point. But hey, at least we can see now that he wasn't going to be a chip in any deal for someone at the level of O'Reilly like other posters seemed to think.

This is a good deal considering that this same 5th rounder was used in trades for Loktionov (LA to NJ) and Ellerby (FL to LA), both players being more established NHLers.

Ellerby was originally a 1st rounder (10th over-all in 2007).

It's nice to see this little bit of drama come to an end.

A lot more? I don't know about that. I doubt there was much market for him at any point. But hey, at least we can see now that he wasn't going to be a chip in any deal for someone at the level of O'Reilly like other posters seemed to think.

OK, a better draft pick, which would feel like a lot more since a 5th rounder feels like, well, almost nothing.

I think it also shows that the trade market may be as slow as DR has been saying. I would hope (but with this FO you never know) that he would have explored putting him in some package deal. A 5th round pick is pretty much the compensation you give just to avoid waivers.

I agree though - if you are going to clear a roster spot why not Leopold? Like Brennan he sucks as well but why keep the older, higher paid player? I would rather get a 7th and dump Leopold. Then again this is the Sabres. Kind of caps off another head scratching week in Buffalo sports.

I'm actually surprised somebody gave up a 5th for him. Good job Darcy? :unsure:

:lol: it still surprises me more people think he can play NHL D. He's a friggin disaster in his own end. Bad puck handling, bad passing, bad decision making.

I don't think you could be more wrong. The guy played 21 NHL games over 2 years, give him a break, geez.

Exactly. The guy has been a prospect for 5 years and it has never translated to the NHL. He was a basket case in his own zone this year, not to mention awful on the PP. He was never going to be in our plans, especially with Pysyk and Mcnabb waiting. We basically got a 5th rounder for something that was a useless NHL asset. However, it does suck for the amerks

The Sabres had two 2nd rounders the year TJ Brennan was drafted. They picked Brennan and Drew Schiestel. The Sabres might be in a different position today if they didn't pass on P.K. Subban and Wayne Simmonds.

Brennan ends up being a wasted draft pick in a horrendous 2007 Sabres draft class.

The Sabres had two 2nd rounders the year TJ Brennan was drafted. They picked Brennan and Drew Schiestel. The Sabres might be in a different position today if they didn't pass on P.K. Subban and Wayne Simmonds.

Well, yeah, but looking at the 2007 2nd round, I believe that you picked the only two players to actually make it in the NHL (Galiardi, Spaling, Repik and Tangradi, too, I suppose, but they've barely made it.) The four defensemen between Brennan and Subban (picked by Vancouver, Washington, Boston and Philly) have played less NHL game combined (10 total) than Brennan. It was pretty weak draft overall.

Edit: missed Galiardi and Spaling, but they aren't exactly lighting it up, either.

Good move. Clearing space for roster flexibility.

All the pundits said Brennan would clear waivers and DR was an idiot for saying he wouldn't, Clearly he wouldn't and DR was right. Florida is willing to spend a 5th rounder rather than get him for free off waivers. It's a good move no matter how you want to try and spin it against DR.

Brennan is not an NHL'er, not now anyway and they need changes now. Clearing a space for flexibility at the trade deadline. That 5th rounder could be used in conjunction with a few other pieces to make another deal possible. Let it play out as a series of moves before you judge the individual move on its own.

Archived