2013 NHL Entry Draft: Buffalo Sabres Select...

LGR4GM

Jones or MacKinnon  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you draft given the 1st overall pick?

• Seth Jones
    • Nathan MacKinnon
    • Jonathan Drouin
  2. 2. Who do you think the Sabres should draft at #8 overall?

• Sean Monahan
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Valeri Nichushkin
    • Ristolainen/Nurse/Zadarov/Other defender
    • Zach Fucale
    • Other, please post name

They need to be in the top two in pick order before the lotto. That way they would be assured of the chance to pick one of the big three in the coming draft.

If they are 3rd, or worse, in draft order come lotto time I am convinced the balls will not drop in the Sabres favour and they will miss out on one of the big 3.

If they finish 3rd, they'll have a 58% chance of remaining in the top 3 spots. It's pretty much a coin flip, but I'd still take that chance.

If they finish 3rd, they'll have a 58% chance of remaining in the top 3 spots. It's pretty much a coin flip, but I'd still take that chance.

Oh, I know, but I am sure that with the Sabres bad luck that coin flip will not work out well for them. And they would end up droping a spot and pick 4th.

The Canes are in free fall, normally that would make me very happy, but in this waste of a season I'll be very pissed if they surpass us in the race to the bottom. Very pissed.

Staal and Staal will not let that continue IMPO, that team has enough talent to rally easily.

Oh, I know, but I am sure that with the Sabres bad luck that coin flip will not work out well for them. And they would end up droping a spot and pick 4th.

Remember that although Drouin, MacKinnon and Jones are top 3 that is north american skaters. With Barkov's shoulder injury not withstanding, it is very possible that one of the top 3 here http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm?cat=2&sort=midtermRank&year=2013 could go before all top 3 NA skaters. We really need to draft either 2nd or 5/6th. 2nd you take MacKinnon, 5/6th Monahan. I am not sure I trust darcy enough not to ###### this up.

I would be very happy with drafting 4th and getting Barkov - he was a ppg player against professionals, when he was 17, in a defensive league

I'd be really disappointed if we were in #3 and a team outside the top-3 won the lottery so we missed out on the big 3. Barkov is certainly a nice consolation prize, but I have dreams of getting a player who steps in and immediately is a major contributor.

Maybe, but the Canes have a pretty serious goaltending issue right now though.

Wait, so you're telling me a goaltender with below-average traditional statistics and a big contract got injured, and wasn't immediately replaced by a cheap nobody with no drop in production and no negative impact on the team? Well I'll be damned.

Wait, so you're telling me a goaltender with below-average traditional statistics and a big contract got injured, and wasn't immediately replaced by a cheap nobody with no drop in production and no negative impact on the team? Well I'll be damned.

Amazing how that can happen, isn't it?

Now the Flames have traded their top scorer/leader, I don't see them improving. This means I doubt we will be worse than the Panthers or Flames; so to get in the top three we need to be that third. I am starting to agree with Marvin now :/

Plus we have played 6 more games on the road than at home (where we play better)

And Colorado is doing a good job of failing

Now the Flames have traded their top scorer/leader, I don't see them improving. This means I doubt we will be worse than the Panthers or Flames; so to get in the top three we need to be that third. I am starting to agree with Marvin now :/

What's the difference? In a hundred years we'll all be dead. :(

I'm all for conversation around us picking in the top three. But this team needs much more than a great young player.

Absolutely. There needs to be new leadership in the locker room. Ideally, someone younger (or a few younger guys) who they can sign to a contract that will keep them around while the club ramps up for a genuine shot.

As far as this conversation goes, I posted it elsewhere, but if they actually just liquidate the current roster for as many first and second round picks as they can, and convert those into as high picks as they can, and also use them to acquire some different talent, why, I would be for that at this point. I'm also for them losing out to get as high a pick as possible. Yuck, I hate saying the latter, to me that's giving up, but obviously sometimes you have to sacrifice the Knight to take the King.

Absolutely. There needs to be new leadership in the locker room. Ideally, someone younger (or a few younger guys) who they can sign to a contract that will keep them around while the club ramps up for a genuine shot.

As far as this conversation goes, I posted it elsewhere, but if they actually just liquidate the current roster for as many first and second round picks as they can, and convert those into as high picks as they can, and also use them to acquire some different talent, why, I would be for that at this point. I'm also for them losing out to get as high a pick as possible. Yuck, I hate saying the latter, to me that's giving up, but obviously sometimes you have to sacrifice the Knight to take the King.

This is the strategy I am in favor of. This appears to be a deep draft. I'm no draft-nik mind you, I go by what I read. If the Sabres can get one of the bigger centers available like Sean Monahan or Frederick Gauthier along with Nathan MacKinnon the Sabres will be in good shape prospect wise at the center position taking into account the 2 centers drafted last season.

Buffalo has 32 points in 36 GP.

Tampa Bay has 31 points in 34 GP.

Calgary has 30 points in 33 GP.

Colorado has 28 points in 34 GP.

Florida has 28 points in 36 GP.

If all goes to plan (Pittsburgh beats Buffalo, Colorado beats Detroit, Calgary beats Edmonton, and Flordia beats Tampa in a 3 point game), then on Tuesday night the Sabres will be in the third pick slot and only be two points out of the top slot.

From what I saw from Rolston tonight, it seems like he's trying to help us out.

Buffalo has 32 points in 36 GP.

Tampa Bay has 31 points in 34 GP.

Calgary has 30 points in 33 GP.

Colorado has 28 points in 34 GP.

Florida has 28 points in 36 GP.

If all goes to plan (Pittsburgh beats Buffalo, Colorado beats Detroit, Calgary beats Edmonton, and Flordia beats Tampa in a 3 point game), then on Tuesday night the Sabres will be in the third pick slot and only be two points out of the top slot.

From what I saw from Rolston tonight, it seems like he's trying to help us out.

Here's to ending up no better than 29th to ensure a top three pick.

Here's to ending up no better than 29th to ensure a top three pick.

I'm definelty on board with this as well. Although the more I hear of Barkov the better I feel about picking 4th if we get screwed in a lottery.

Leopold gone for picks, Regehr gone for picks, Leino done for the year, Adam recalled......

Just sayin' ;)

You forgot Brennan. :P

Yeah, DR is making a push for it, but the Sabres are stubborn and like being mediocre. Watch them beat the Pens tomorrow

Archived