2013 NHL Entry Draft: Buffalo Sabres Select...

LGR4GM

Jones or MacKinnon  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you draft given the 1st overall pick?

• Seth Jones
    • Nathan MacKinnon
    • Jonathan Drouin
  2. 2. Who do you think the Sabres should draft at #8 overall?

• Sean Monahan
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Valeri Nichushkin
    • Ristolainen/Nurse/Zadarov/Other defender
    • Zach Fucale
    • Other, please post name

No need to worry, the Sabres will drafting near if not at the bottom. The Sabres have the 2nd worst ROW's and the 3rd worst goal differential. They have also played more games than most of the other bottom feeders they will be battling with. The remaining 18 games if full of games with the Pens, Devils, Leafs and Sens. They also have games with the Bruins, Canadians and Rangers who will all be battling for playoff positions. They also have games against the Jets and Islanders who have given the Sabres fits recently.

6-12 is not an unreasonable finish for the Sabres. As the season slips away, many on this current roster will be heading out early for a good seat on the bus.

No need to worry, the Sabres will drafting near if not at the bottom. The Sabres have the 2nd worst ROW's and the 3rd worst goal differential. They have also played more games than most of the other bottom feeders they will be battling with. The remaining 18 games if full of games with the Pens, Devils, Leafs and Sens. They also have games with the Bruins, Canadians and Rangers who will all be battling for playoff positions. They also have games against the Jets and Islanders who have given the Sabres fits recently.

6-12 is not an unreasonable finish for the Sabres. As the season slips away, many on this current roster will be heading out early for a good seat on the bus.

:wub: Thank you.

The annual late season run to nowhere has arrived right on schedule. We can probably go ahead and close this thread, or maybe delete it altogether so that we don't have to be reminded that we ever dreamed big. Special players are for other franchises to draft.

Goodbye, Seth. Goodbye, Jonathan. Goodbye, Nate. Goodbye, Aleksander.

The annual late season run to nowhere has arrived right on schedule. We can probably go ahead and close this thread, or maybe delete it altogether so that we don't have to be reminded that we ever dreamed big. Special players are for other franchises to draft.

Goodbye, Seth. Goodbye, Jonathan. Goodbye, Nate. Goodbye, Aleksander.

Hold your horses dude. We may be only 4 points out of a playoff spot, but we're also only 4 points out of dead last in the league and everyone below us in the standings still has games to play other than Florida. If everyone below us wins their games in hand, we're in 2nd to last.

Hold your horses dude. We may be only 4 points out of a playoff spot, but we're also only 4 points out of dead last in the league and everyone below us in the standings still has games to play other than Florida. If everyone below us wins their games in hand, we're in 2nd to last.

Thank you for some sanity. And I don't have updated numbers, but going into last night we were still 28th in possession. Awesome hockey last night and it's always fun to beat Toronto, but it's meaningless overall. Plus, Toronto is in the process of regressing to the mean, it's not like we beat Pittsburgh.

3 of the 4 teams below us are behind by 1pt. All those teams have 1 game in hand.

In the West, the 2 teams below us are behind by 2pts with 2 and 3 games in hand respectively.

There are 34 potential pts left for the Sabres meaning the max they can end the season with is 62. Note that to date they have only 28pts thus far so getting all of those is statistically improbable.

Thank you for some sanity. And I don't have updated numbers, but going into last night we were still 28th in possession. Awesome hockey last night and it's always fun to beat Toronto, but it's meaningless overall. Plus, Toronto is in the process of regressing to the mean, it's not like we beat Pittsburgh.

I would love to be wrong on this one, but I won't be.

Oh well. Maybe Adam Erne will be a superstar.

3 of the 4 teams below us are behind by 1pt. All those teams have 1 game in hand.

In the West, the 2 teams below us are behind by 2pts with 2 and 3 games in hand respectively.

There are 34 potential pts left for the Sabres meaning the max they can end the season with is 62. Note that to date they have only 28pts thus far so getting all of those is statistically improbable.

They need at least 24 points in 17 games. A 1.4 PPG pace. Since Rollie came in they're 1.07PPG. They need to step it up.

I like how you're taking the Homer Simpson approach of aiming low to not be disappointed :lol:

Personally I believe my eyes and the stats, both of which say this team is really bad. Worst case scenario is we get a shot at Monahan or Lindolm, but I think the big three are still very much a possibility.

I appreciate stats as much as the next science guy, but make no mistake, the Sabres' run to no man's land has begun. It's just what they do.

That kid committed to BU and then was lured away by major junior. I still hold a grudge even though I don't even care about BU hockey anymore.... But if he winds up a Sabre, I'll get over it.

I like how you're taking the Homer Simpson approach of aiming low to not be disappointed :lol:

Personally I believe my eyes and the stats, both of which say this team is really bad. Worst case scenario is we get a shot at Monahan or Lindolm, but I think the big three are still very much a possibility.

From back when the Simpsons was a good TV show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhjGoaKf52s

Oh, there's no doubt that we're a bad team. But I believe in the Sabres uncanny ability to make a meaningless late season run. I'm expecting a loss on Saturday and then 3 of 4 points against Tampa and Florida after that. Then we play Washington, leaving only 2 games left before the deadline (Boston and Pittsburgh). They'll win enough that Darcy cancels the fire sale, or at least scales it back to a couple half-measures.

They might even win enough to save management. Why not? They can blame this season on the lockout and point to Ron Rolston as proof that the team was never very bad and that all it needed was a coaching change.

We'll draft around 10th. We'll take Adam Erne. He plays in Quebec so there's the connection to Patrick Roy (Darcy's BFF) and he's already played with Grigorenko.

Come December/January, the Sabres will be nowhere near a playoff spot for 2014 and the board will once again be talking about which veterans we can/should move and which elite prospect we should draft. But guess what happens after January? A late winning streak! Maybe we aren't so bad!!!1!

This is the nightmare scenario and it's looking pretty likely as far as I can tell.

Of note the Sabres are 5pts out of a playoff spot, however the NYR have a game in hand so theoretically if they won it we are 7 pts out of with 15 games left.

With first overall selection, in the 2013 NHL entry draft, the Buffalo Sabres are please to select...

Of note the Sabres are 5pts out of a playoff spot, however the NYR have a game in hand so theoretically if they won it we are 7 pts out of with 15 games left.

With first overall selection, in the 2013 NHL entry draft, the Buffalo Sabres are please to select...

You're dreaming, Liger. The best case scenario -- absolute best -- is that the Sabres draft as high as 6th, where they'll probably pass over the consensus pick and reach for someone else.

More likely we draft around 10th. Here comes Adam Erne.

If those teams were good enough to win their games in hand, they wouldn't be below us now. :(

I might start calling you Marvin* from now on :P - i quite like this depressed nihilistic side

*Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy reference for those unaware - Marvin is a depressed robot basically

In the remaining 14 games, the Sabres are playing 4 games that they will almost definitely lose (2 against Boston and 2 against Pit), 6 games they should lose (Winnipeg 2X, Ottawa, New Jersey, Montreal, NYR), and 4 games they may lose (Tampa, Washington, Philly, NYI). This is based purely upon strength of opponent, not how well the Sabres play against those teams.

In the remaining 14 games, the Sabres are playing 4 games that they will almost definitely lose (2 against Boston and 2 against Pit), 6 games they should lose (Winnipeg 2X, Ottawa, New Jersey, Montreal, NYR), and 4 games they may lose (Tampa, Washington, Philly, NYI). This is based purely upon strength of opponent, not how well the Sabres play against those teams.

Yea, who knows how we will play against Boston or Montreal, we seem to beat them. I could easily see us splitting these final 14 and going something like 7-5-2 giving us 47pts. My guess is we draft 5th overall. If that is the case, Sean Monahan hands down is the guy we should take. His work ethic is quite high and I think we need more heart and work ethic on this team. Also he played on a craptastic team this season and still put up solid numbers, played injured, was the captain.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130620

If all the teams below us win their game(s) in hand, we will be 28th in the league. A.K.A. a top three team. TrueBlue's dream is not over

This is the year, everything points to it.

They need to be in the top two in pick order before the lotto. That way they would be assured of the chance to pick one of the big three in the coming draft.

If they are 3rd, or worse, in draft order come lotto time I am convinced the balls will not drop in the Sabres favour and they will miss out on one of the big 3.

Archived