2013 NHL Entry Draft: Buffalo Sabres Select...

LGR4GM

Jones or MacKinnon  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you draft given the 1st overall pick?

• Seth Jones
    • Nathan MacKinnon
    • Jonathan Drouin
  2. 2. Who do you think the Sabres should draft at #8 overall?

• Sean Monahan
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Valeri Nichushkin
    • Ristolainen/Nurse/Zadarov/Other defender
    • Zach Fucale
    • Other, please post name

I'm not ready to assume we draft in the top 3 yet though. If we draft no.6 overall and Nichuschkin is there, he might be our pick. Obviously I'd rather have a safer bet though.

There's definitely going to be a point where the potential reward is worth the potential risk, and #6 may be entering that territory (although I'd probably still rather draft somebody with a lower ceiling but who is certain to be here). It just flat out sucks he won't be here for a minimum of three years if he gets drafted--I'm having visions of what Kuznetsov is putting the Caps through.

Mock Draft:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1562919-2013-mid-season-mock-nhl-draft

It has the Sabres selecting 2nd overall and taking MacKinnon. Basically they call him a game changer just like every other scout has. So the bad news is we suck, the good news is if we suck for another 20 games we can draft Nathan MacKinnon. Yay for a shortened season!

of course we all know we will finish 3rd and lose the lottery and draft 4th, take Nichuschkin, and he will play 0 NHL games

Mock Draft:

http://bleacherrepor...-mock-nhl-draft

It has the Sabres selecting 2nd overall and taking MacKinnon. Basically they call him a game changer just like every other scout has. So the bad news is we suck, the good news is if we suck for another 20 games we can draft Nathan MacKinnon. Yay for a shortened season!

of course we all know we will finish 3rd and lose the lottery and draft 4th, take Nichuschkin, and he will play 0 NHL games

ESPN Insider had their 1st Mock Draft on 3/14 with the Sabres selecting MacKinnon #2:

Pick analysis: The Sabres have fooled a lot of people this season with their poor play and placement in the standings. Longtime head coach Lindy Ruff was fired and others may follow in his wake if the tide doesn't change. MacKinnon, who is capable of playing next season, could provide the necessary spark.

There is little doubt that Buffalo has a lot of pieces in place to win games, but something is just not right. A shakeup is needed, and as we have seen in Montreal, a youth movement can speed up that process. MacKinnon will add speed, an excellent work ethic and disciplined play, all while providing an offensive punch.

He would look great developing with 2012 first-round pick Mikhail Grigorenko, who seems lost in all of the turmoil surrounding the Sabres.

At this point, how badly the season has gone, we need a top 3 pick. Actually, if we can just get a top 5 pick we will be happy but a top 3 gives us a nice shot at MacKinnon. The guy is a bona fide game changer from everything I've read. As bad and ashamed as I feel doing this, I've been cheering hard for Sabres losses (first time I've ever done this). Let's get a nice piece in this draft to add to the new young core of Grigs, Armia, Pysyk etc.

NHL 2013 Draft Rankings: Second edition

Rankings by Alan Muir from SI.com with Jones, MacKinnon, and Drouin at the top.

CBS Sports has the same top three:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/21884592/nhl-mock-draft-seth-jones-to-florida-panthers-at-no-1

Although at this point, is anyone really going to step out and put their name on a mock draft much different than that? The mocks don't matter all that much. My top five are Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, and Monahan. I'd be thrilled with any of those.

On the other hand, if all five are gone by the time we draft, things start looking a lot less appealing to me. (And this is still VERY possible given the short season and how tight the standings are.)

CBS Sports has the same top three:

http://www.cbssports...anthers-at-no-1

Although at this point, is anyone really going to step out and put their name on a mock draft much different than that? The mocks don't matter all that much. My top five are Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, and Monahan. I'd be thrilled with any of those.

On the other hand, if all five are gone by the time we draft, things start looking a lot less appealing to me. (And this is still VERY possible given the short season and how tight the standings are.)

I hate this feeling of rooting for draft position. Makes me :sick: . But I'm reluctantly here. I hope the Sabres finish no better than 29th so that they're guaranteed to pick no later than 3rd.

Damn this sucks.

I hate this feeling of rooting for draft position. Makes me :sick: . But I'm reluctantly here. I hope the Sabres finish no better than 29th so that they're guaranteed to pick no later than 3rd.

Damn this sucks.

It's a 48 game season and we only have 19 games left. This is probably the least painful way we'll ever be able to get a top pick (and I still think we're going to screw it up).

It's a 48 game season and we only have 19 games left. This is probably the least painful way we'll ever be able to get a top pick (and I still think we're going to screw it up).

Sell. Sell. Sell.

Sell. Sell. Sell.

Too bad they moved the deadline back. This is like a wake that has gone on for a third day.

Sell. Sell. Sell.

Sell. Sell. Sell.

Too bad they moved the deadline back. This is like a wake that has gone on for a third day.

They're not going to sell like they should.

And they're going to win 4 of the last 5 games of the season to go from picking 3rd overall to picking maybe 7th or 8th. It's coming. Oh, it's definitely coming.

I've long said I didn't think this team was literally one of the worst in the league, and I expected an eventual climb to 10-12 in the East for around a #8-10 pick. But the more games I see, the more convinced I become that they might actually be a bottom-3 team; even if they're not, in the short season with only in-conference play it's going to be easier for a team to finish a bit farther outside their talent level (and that can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the team).

Last year there were at least some legit reasons to think a run could happen: getting healthy (Ehrhoff, Myers, Miller in particular), Pominville was playing great, new acquisitions would be more comfortable as the season wore on, etc. This year, not so much. There isn't a massive IR list, there wasn't a ton of new acquisitions that had to adjust (and for the recent turnover we've had in the roster, there probably isn't enough time for them to adjust for a run), and I think there's overall less talent on this year's team than last year's. I have seen absolutely nothing to indicate this team is capable of a run, let alone anything to make me expect a run. This might actually be the year the team really bottoms out.

Archived