2013 NHL Entry Draft: Buffalo Sabres Select...

LGR4GM

Jones or MacKinnon  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you draft given the 1st overall pick?

• Seth Jones
    • Nathan MacKinnon
    • Jonathan Drouin
  2. 2. Who do you think the Sabres should draft at #8 overall?

• Sean Monahan
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Valeri Nichushkin
    • Ristolainen/Nurse/Zadarov/Other defender
    • Zach Fucale
    • Other, please post name

Sabres win tonight and are now tied with Calgary for 4th least points. They have 1 less than TB and Philly, 2 less than Edmonton and Nashville, and 3 less than Dallas and NYI.

I've been saying it for a while, but definitely don't get too attached to the notion of drafting MacKinnon, Jones, or Drouin.

You didn't hear? Terry's going to buy off the lottery commissioner.

I've been saying it for a while, but definitely don't get too attached to the notion of drafting MacKinnon, Jones, or Drouin.

Too late. After the O'Reilly thing this is all I've got left!

The 2013 Buffalo Sabres: "See, we're not the worst team in hockey! We're the tenth worst team in hockey!!!1!"

I dunno, shot attempts last night were something like 81-29 in favor of Montreal. Not going to win many games that way, let alone 12 of the last 18 or whatever would get us 10th.

The 2013 Buffalo Sabres: "See, we're not the worst team in hockey! We're the tenth worst team in hockey!!!1!"

After watching last night's game, and considering we are almost definitely going to be dealing away a lot more players than we take in at the deadline, I'd say there's not much chance of the Sabres going on a run late in the season. They can't skate hard for 60 minutes and they can't take control of a game even when they're up 2 - 0 (I was amazed we won last night).

After watching last night's game, and considering we are almost definitely going to be dealing away a lot more players than we take in at the deadline, I'd say there's not much chance of the Sabres going on a run late in the season. They can't skate hard for 60 minutes and they can't take control of a game even when they're up 2 - 0 (I was amazed we won last night).

While I agree with everything else that you said here, let there be no doubt, the run to no man's land is coming.

While I agree with everything else that you said here, let there be no doubt, the run to no man's land is coming.

April 27th Headline, Buffalo News:

Buffalo Sabres win 6th straight

Will finish the season 3points out of the last playoff spot in the east and draft 13th overall.

:wallbash:

To the part in bold, how sure are you? If Regier thinks a late run can save him, is he going to deal players away?

The late run is coming. At this point, I think we're probably going to draft 7th or 8th.

I dunno, shot attempts last night were something like 81-29 in favor of Montreal. Not going to win many games that way, let alone 12 of the last 18 or whatever would get us 10th.

We don't actually have to get to tenth, although I think that's possible. Drafting 7th or 8th should be late enough that we won't have a shot at all the players I really like from the draft. That point is, I think they're going to miss out on all the special players.

We don't actually have to get to tenth, although I think that's possible. Drafting 7th or 8th should be late enough that we won't have a shot at all the players I really like from the draft. That point is, I think they're going to miss out on all the special players.

This is the year! I'm going to will it to happen!

To the part in bold, how sure are you? If Regier thinks a late run can save him, is he going to deal players away?

The late run is coming. At this point, I think we're probably going to draft 7th or 8th.

If no players are traded at the deadline it means one of two things:

Darcy is done at the end of the season and they don't want him making roster moves (outside of selling rentals at the deadline/not really dropping dead weight).

Darcy is a fool, management above Darcy are fools, and we are all fools for watching this horrible team.

At least if the Sabres make a run they'll be watchable. I haven't seen anything from the past few games that shows we're ready to win.

we need to trade stafford asap, he'll prolly start streaking and ruin the draft for us while just missing playoffs

Once again, shot attempts were almost 3:1 in favor of Montreal--you can't win consistently if you can't possess the puck. There will be no run this year. There will be no run this year. There will be no run this year.....say it with me!

Once again, shot attempts were almost 3:1 in favor of Montreal--you can't win consistently if you can't possess the puck. There will be no run this year. There will be no run this year. There will be no run this year.....say it with me!

I want it to be true, but the Buffalonian in me knows better.

Oh im not talking about run, just win enough to keep us out of top 5 of the draft is bad enough.

Hind sight is 20/20 so they say, and with that in mind, think about this for moment.........

Vanek to Edmonton with the offer sheet and we get the four 1st round draft picks.

Buffalo may have had a worse record in those 4 years and Edmonton may not have vastly improved with Vanek over the course of the first 2 years of those 4 picks.

Looking back on it now, do you believe the Sabres would be an improved team this season given the hypothetical scenario of the four 1st round picks?

The reason I ask, is because it's very apparent we won't get that type of deal for Vanek now and looking back on the way this team played out the ensuing 5 going on 6 seasons now, it's abundantly clear that was the play to make.

Hind sight is 20/20 so they say, and with that in mind, think about this for moment.........

Vanek to Edmonton with the offer sheet and we get the four 1st round draft picks.

Buffalo may have had a worse record in those 4 years and Edmonton may not have vastly improved with Vanek over the course of the first 2 years of those 4 picks.

Looking back on it now, do you believe the Sabres would be an improved team this season given the hypothetical scenario of the four 1st round picks?

The reason I ask, is because it's very apparent we won't get that type of deal for Vanek now and looking back on the way this team played out the ensuing 5 going on 6 seasons now, it's abundantly clear that was the play to make.

Considering we'd have had our own picks as well, i think it's safe to say that we'd be a pretty solid young team right about now, Edmonton may have performed slightly better than they had, but we would most likely have done worse. I'm looking at two picks between 3-10 for each of those four years, and hell yes, i think that makes us a better team today.

Then again, it can't get much worse.

Considering we'd have had our own picks as well, i think it's safe to say that we'd be a pretty solid young team right about now, Edmonton may have performed slightly better than they had, but we would most likely have done worse. I'm looking at two picks between 3-10 for each of those four years, and hell yes, i think that makes us a better team today.

Then again, it can't get much worse.

The Sabres have had two draft picks in the top ten in the last 25 years: Vanek (5th overall) and Rasmussen (7th overall). [Another way to look at it, we've only had one Top Five pick in the last 25 years.]

I love the idea of drafting high 1-2 years in a row and building from there.

The Sabres have had two draft picks in the top ten in the last 25 years: Vanek (5th overall) and Rasmussen (7th overall). [Another way to look at it, we've only had one Top Five pick in the last 25 years.]

Yea know Robviously, so do I. In looking at Pitts situation and Edmonton's situation, I realize Edmonton still has some analysis to go but it does appear as though that would be the way to go.

man.....that stings me a little to think that Turgeon was already 25 years ago.

Seems like yesterday. Of course 1986 felt really really long....so that is about 50 years altogether.

Seems like yesterday. Of course 1986 felt really really long....so that is about 50 years altogether.

Pierre Turgeon was my favorite player because right after we drafted him, he sat in front of my Dad and I at a Buffalo Bisons game. My dad got him to autograph a baseball for me, and we still have it somewhere.

I remember the great draft debate that year was Sneaky Pete versus Shanny. In retrospect we made the wrong pick (although Turgeon certainly had a long NHL career).

I remember the great draft debate that year was Sneaky Pete versus Shanny. In retrospect we made the wrong pick (although Turgeon certainly had a long NHL career).

Both Buffalo and New Jersey took the wrong guys (in retrospect). Joe Sakic lasted until 15th overall for Quebec. Turned out pretty nice for them (and by "them" I mean the people in Denver).

Turgeon's career was ridiculous though. 1327 points. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=5495

Both Buffalo and New Jersey took the wrong guys (in retrospect). Joe Sakic lasted until 15th overall for Quebec. Turned out pretty nice for them (and by "them" I mean the people in Denver).

Turgeon's career was ridiculous though. 1327 points. http://www.hockeydb....ay.php?pid=5495

I always thought the town was pretty tough on Turgeon. He was damn good and never had that French Connection kind of flair. . He just wasn't the second coming.

Archived