2013 NHL Entry Draft: Buffalo Sabres Select...

LGR4GM

Jones or MacKinnon  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you draft given the 1st overall pick?

• Seth Jones
    • Nathan MacKinnon
    • Jonathan Drouin
  2. 2. Who do you think the Sabres should draft at #8 overall?

• Sean Monahan
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Valeri Nichushkin
    • Ristolainen/Nurse/Zadarov/Other defender
    • Zach Fucale
    • Other, please post name

I think Calgary, Colorado and Florida are the tough ones to catch; not really concerned about the others, I think the Sabres are worse. If I were to lay money down, I'd say #4 has the highest probability of happening, which would be both great and devastating. Barkov is a legit high-end prospect, yet he's probably still a half-step behind the sterling trio of Drouin/MacKinnon/Jones.

I like Barkov as much as the other three. He's already playing awesome in the Finnish pro league and he's bigger than MacKinnon and Drouin.

Still don't think we'll draft any higher than 5th or 6th though. Lots of opportunities left for meaningless wins this year and the Sabres have a knack for getting better when they lose "core" guys (Roy two years ago, Gaustad last year).

Well, there would still be a 68.7% chance we'd remain in the top-4, with 10.7 of that being a chance to get #1. I realize that's still a 31% chance to get knocked out, but that would be an awfully pessimistic way to look at things ;)

This is the team that way back when had the 2 picks immeditely following Vancouver that chose Neely. If 4's the cutoff point, my money is on 5.:doh:

This is the team that way back when had the 2 picks immeditely following Vancouver that chose Neely. If 4's the cutoff point, my money is on 5. :doh:

Cool. Welcome to my world.

The tenth overall pick in the draft is still well within our reach.

I like Barkov as much as the other three. He's already playing awesome in the Finnish pro league and he's bigger than MacKinnon and Drouin.

Still don't think we'll draft any higher than 5th or 6th though. Lots of opportunities left for meaningless wins this year and the Sabres have a knack for getting better when they lose "core" guys (Roy two years ago, Gaustad last year).

I really like Barkov, he has broken tons of records in the Finland. I would take him over Drouin and I would consider him compared to MacKinnon (mainly because Barkov has put up points against men instead of boys). I have a thing for two way players, and this kid is young and would be an awesome addition

Larsson - Barkov - Girgenson isn't a bad two way shut down line :P (in two years time)

This is the team that way back when had the 2 picks immeditely following Vancouver that chose Neely. If 4's the cutoff point, my money is on 5. :doh:

Funny that you mention 1983, because all season (and the extended preseason), I've felt like it's 1983 again. Oh boy.

That depends on what you are doing. If you are in full rebuild it changes things. I don't want to see that but it remains an option. If they were to do it this would be the year considering the "depth" of the class. Of course the true depth wont be known for about a decade.

I stand corrected, by Darcy Regier no less. As you pointed out, the rebuild will need the high draft picks and Regier came through to some extent in what is reportedly a deep draft class this off season.

With that said, I am shocked actually, that they did not move Stafford, or could not? For the right price? I don't know but he's still here and Pommers is gone.

Not that I mind, I'm actually a smiling fan right now.

I am suprised to see KacKinnon running away with it. Really thought Drouin would get more love. especially because of the numbers he put up with MacKinnon out.

I think most of us have had more than enough of building from the wings. Build the center of the ice and worry about the rest once that's taken care of.

I stand corrected, by Darcy Regier no less. As you pointed out, the rebuild will need the high draft picks and Regier came through to some extent in what is reportedly a deep draft class this off season.

With that said, I am shocked actually, that they did not move Stafford, or could not? For the right price? I don't know but he's still here and Pommers is gone.

Not that I mind, I'm actually a smiling fan right now.

I think perhaps the price was not right. I would expect Drew to be moved prior to the draft in the summer though.

I am suprised to see KacKinnon running away with it. Really thought Drouin would get more love. especially because of the numbers he put up with MacKinnon out.

Drouin is good and I would be happy with him. If we can get Drouin and then move up and get Sean Monahan it would be a good 1st round. I think ppl like MacKinnon because of his intangibles that you here discussed, leadership/work ethic etc...

Also MacKinnon plays center which is big for ppl

I changed my vote to Drouin, because I assume Vanek will not be here in 1 yr and Drouin is a dynamic LW. The more I watch Drouin, Jones, MacKinnon the more I like Drouin and his abilities.

Of note about Drouin, he won big at the QMJHL awards including MVP.

http://www.timescolonist.com/jonathan-drouin-wins-big-at-quebec-major-junior-hockey-league-awards-1.103478

I want Regier to wheel and deal and get both MacKinnon and Drouin at the draft, a la Brian Burke style.

If that means saying goodbye to Vanek......bye bye now......

I honestly don't think that's possible any more. Burke did that pre-salary cap when picks were worth less. Now with the cap, and specifically the cap going down, high picks and 7 years of control over likely elite players are worth their weight in gold.

I honestly don't think that's possible any more. Burke did that pre-salary cap when picks were worth less. Now with the cap, and specifically the cap going down, high picks and 7 years of control over likely elite players are worth their weight in gold.

Which is why I think the more likely Scenario is trading our MN pick plus (?) and move up far enough (9th?) to draft Sean Monahan

Not in one move maybe. But trade Vanek for number 5 overall and trade number 5 + 25 for number 3 (and we have number 2 say) or whatever

I think we draft a wing with one of our firsts - we need more of them

Not in one move maybe. But trade Vanek for number 5 overall and trade number 5 + 25 for number 3 (and we have number 2 say) or whatever

I think we draft a wing with one of our firsts - we need more of them

I know you have to consider the parties involved, but last year Columbus wouldn't take the Isles' entire draft for #2 and subsequently Ryan Murray. The big 3 this year are all better prospects than Ryan Murray. I just can't foresee it happening. Maybe we can get high enough for Lindolm or Monahan, but that's the best case scenario IMO.

I know you have to consider the parties involved, but last year Columbus wouldn't take the Isles' entire draft for #2 and subsequently Ryan Murray. The big 3 this year are all better prospects than Ryan Murray. I just can't foresee it happening. Maybe we can get high enough for Lindolm or Monahan, but that's the best case scenario IMO.

True, but that is basically a second and a third for two spots. You aren't gonna get anyway offering 4th, 5th, 6ths an 7ths.

5-8th + 25th + 50th for 3rd is pretty generous

Again everyone on this board should want Monahan on this team. We need to get Drouin and Monahan and I am not sure Darcy has the balls to make that happen. Maybe you could do something like Stafford and MN 1st to Columbus to try and get up that high but I am not sure where they will finish or if Monahan will still be there. May take getting that pick than moving that pick plus a 2nd to philly to jump more. It is not impossible but again i do not think Darcy has the stones to do it.

Again everyone on this board should want Monahan on this team. We need to get Drouin and Monahan and I am not sure Darcy has the balls to make that happen. Maybe you could do something like Stafford and MN 1st to Columbus to try and get up that high but I am not sure where they will finish or if Monahan will still be there. May take getting that pick than moving that pick plus a 2nd to philly to jump more. It is not impossible but again i do not think Darcy has the stones to do it.

You've latched on to a new hero. :P

Archived