Sabres HARBORcenter updates

sabills

They could have the pins painted like Sabres jerseys. At Midnight Bowling they can have a special Tim Connolly pin that shatters on contact and a Ryan Miller pin that when hit it causes the other pins to scatter.

OK, your a giant pain in the *ss most times but that is hilarious. Well done.

http://www.thegriffi...19#.UED__5YwWfV

Canisius is planning on playing at one of the rinks. How many people are going to fit in that arena? How much does Canisius even draw?

I just scanned through all of their box scores from last year and their peak was 1100. But that was RIT, so it was a local game. Other than that, they had one game in the 800s against Mercyhurst (again, relatively local). The rest seemed to range from 400-700.

I just scanned through all of their box scores from last year and their peak was 1100. But that was RIT, so it was a local game. Other than that, they had one game in the 800s against Mercyhurst (again, relatively local). The rest seemed to range from 400-700.

Thanks. So they'd be a good fit for the Webster rink.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw more people at a Roc City Roller Derby bout this weekend than I've ever seen at a Canisius game.

Terry and Ted said on day one they didn't want to get into the development business, that if positive things happened on the waterfront, they'd settle for an assist — not a goal.

for those looking for attribution, here's the article PA accurately recalls from march 2011.

http://www.buffalone...rder=ASC&page=1

"Are we going to take the lead on real estate development? It's not my background, it's not my expertise," Black said. "If something's going to happen down there, to use a hockey metaphor, if somebody gets a goal and we can get a second assist and we all get points and it helps Buffalo, we're in favor of it.

"I don't see us taking the lead on developing or insisting it's a certain way, but we certainly want to be ingrained members of the community."

the one thing i will add on further reflection: we can say that ted said it and we can say that ted speaks for terry, but we can't say that terry said it.

in any case and further along these lines, this bit of fluff from the mayor in today's paper caught my eye:

"One of my first conversations with Mr. Pegula after he first purchased the Sabres was his desire to do something special for this community," Brown said in a corner of the parking lot known as the Webster Block. "Not just to purchase the hockey team that he has loved for all of his time as a fan of hockey but also to do something really special to help build and grow Buffalo and Western New York. Well this is certainly something special to help build and grow Western New York."

http://www.buffalonews.com/article/20120910/CITYANDREGION/120919937/1002

Edited by That Aud Smell

the one thing i will add on further reflection: we can say that ted said it and we can say that ted speaks for terry, but we can't say that terry said it.

Not those words, no, but at the News' editorial board meeting on Day One, Terry said, "I have to plead ignorance" (on any knowledge of watefront development in Buffalo). Ted then cut in with the quote you referenced. Technically true, probably, what Terry said, but if at the same time he had already been talking to his staff and the Mayor about getting involved in a major development, I'd say there was some verbal hanky panky going on there. Terry tends to come off as a bit too clever for his own good.

Thanks, Aud, for making me listen to almost an hour of Terry at that meeting again. Good to refresh my memory on the roots on my suspicions of the guy. What a train wreck of a performance.

Not those words, no, but at the News' editorial board meeting on Day One, Terry said, "I have to plead ignorance" (on any knowledge of watefront development in Buffalo). Ted then cut in with the quote you referenced.

i hadn't realized that ted said it in front of terry -- that's another matter entirely. that basically makes it something terry said.

Thanks, Aud, for making me listen to almost an hour of Terry at that meeting again. Good to refresh my memory on the roots on my suspicions of the guy. What a train wreck of a performance.

:oops:

• 8 months later...

John Koelmel announced as president of Harbor Center.

Former President and Chief Executive Officer of First Niagara Bank and its parent, First Niagara Financial Group,

Seems like a pretty big step down from bank president/CEO to president of a building consisting of a parking ramp, two hockey rinks, hotel and restaurant/bar.

Edited by LabattBlue

Seems like a pretty big stop down from bank president/CEO to president of a building consisting of a parking ramp, two hockey rinks, hotel and restaurant/bar.

I don't think he needs to work (in the money sense), I think he needs to work because he's a "builder."

Edited by Eleven

So we can expect another major arena built and another NHL team being bought at some point; right? :)

Koelmel loves to expand.

Terry: "Thanks for not paying attention to your balance sheet and handing me millions of dollars for the next 15 years to name this clunker, while your company's value takes a 40% haircut..........you'll fit right in."

I don't think he needs to work.

I think that's it. And he gets to be part of the Sabres organization. Sounds like a fun gig.

I hope he goes easy on Kilgore.

"Ed, send out a press release today how I just bought out Cobblestone, and get ready for Lloyd's Food truck next week. We'll own Pearl by next Wednesday."

Seems like a pretty big stop down from bank president/CEO to president of a building consisting of a parking ramp, two hockey rinks, hotel and restaurant/bar.

What Eleven said. I will also add: Few people of Koelmel's stature and means love the area as much as he does. This Webster Street project is about as exciting a piece of development as the City's had ... maybe in modern history. So it's a natural fit, really. He will also move on to some other big(ger) challenge(s) at some point.

And he gets to be part of the Sabres organization. Sounds like a fun gig.

John loves his sports -- I think that's a big piece of it.

I hope he goes easy on Kilgore. "Ed, send out a press release today how I just bought out Cobblestone, and get ready for Lloyd's Food truck next week. We'll own Pearl by next Wednesday."
So we can expect another major arena built and another NHL team being bought at some point; right? :) Koelmel loves to expand.

:w00t:

:lol:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.