Did the Sabres Make 100 Million Offers

Brawndo

Sounds like the Sabres were willing to go all in for both Suter and Parise.

*Sounds like the bidding on Parise was instantly insane, with multiple immediate $100 million US bids. (Suter was slightly less crazy, lots of suitors but fewer nine-figure ones.) In horse racing, those that jump out to a quick pace are called "rabbits," and there were multiple hares here. Philadelphia's interest has been heavily reported, and at the end of the day, was the probably the highest bidder. But it's believed Buffalo also let both players know they would get $100 million apiece to dress for the Sabres. (Darcy Regier politely declined to comment.) There may have been others.

Jeremy White talks about what this could mean...http://wgr550.com/WHITE--Bank-on-it/13756684

What does it matter if it is true? The nay sayers will just slam Darcy for not getting it done and the bottom line doesn't change. They ain't here.

It matters for the simple fact that if true, it shows Darcy is at least attempting big moves.

'you can lead a horse to water, but...'

you can't blame Darcy at all. at least he offered and offered hard. not his fault if they chose elsewhere, and it wouldn't have been a monetary decision as it sounds the Sabres gave one of the highest offers out there

If we were willing to hash out that kinda dough, that would mean there is a faction of players Darcy was (and may still be) willing to dump in order to clear space. The same should apply for an eventual trade. No one is safe, send some serious offers down Anaheim and Columbus' way.

The Sabres are acting like the Rangers these days... I like it, I think.. Although I would have been stunned if they dumped 100M on Parise. That number is so overpriced it's crazy...

He probably made a call, tested the water. He was under no illusion we didn't have a hope in hogs hell though, of that I'm sure. If we'd paid that price for those two I'd have been pissed off anyway. There is no evidence Suter will be anywhere near as effective without Weber and Parise spent two seasons ago injured and last season hit about 64 points. I'm sure he'll do great, but I'd rather stick with the moves we made. Signing those two would be no Ott or any other move.

What does it matter if it is true? The nay sayers will just slam Darcy for not getting it done and the bottom line doesn't change. They ain't here.

True, the "big guns" still aren't here. But at least it shows that Darcy and the owner are swinging for the fences...

It matters for the simple fact that if true, it shows Darcy is at least attempting big moves.

With the money offered being equal (or close to it), Darcy is still trying to sell these players a "pig in a poke". That is, the team hasn't done well in the last half-decade or so and the city of Buffalo is a tough sell right now. (Don't get me wrong; I love this area and we all know what a gem it is - so many former Bills and Sabres have decided to stay in the area after they retire, we know once they come, they like). But, for a young player whose team only comes to Buffalo once or twice a year, the lower end of Main Street on a cold night in February is certainly no South Beach. Once Canalside gets cranked up and the team actually wins a playoff series or two, maybe things will even up.

Guest Sloth

He probably made a call, tested the water. He was under no illusion we didn't have a hope in hogs hell though, of that I'm sure. If we'd paid that price for those two I'd have been pissed off anyway. There is no evidence Suter will be anywhere near as effective without Weber and Parise spent two seasons ago injured and last season hit about 64 points. I'm sure he'll do great, but I'd rather stick with the moves we made. Signing those two would be no Ott or any other move.

The Sabres do have a couple of defenseman Suter would've done fine with, in my opinion . Myers, Ehrhoff, Regehr and yes, Sekera. Buffalo's D' would've improved quite a bit. Yet, one does have to wonder what player(s) would be gone. If Myers or Ehrhoff were shipped out because of Suter's deal, I would have to agree w/ you. I would not be happy. It would've been a waste of money and a loss of a player or two. As for Parise, he is getting far too much. I'm not sure if his production would've gone up if he came to Buffalo. Would Parise play great hockey if he was paired w/ Hodgson or Ennis? Ennis did make Stafford look like a stud when they got put together, but it's all a what if and we'll never know. I think if Parise were brought in, Darcy would've had to make a major move to bring in an already proven 1st line center. Yet, that backfires because either Ennis or Hodgson would demoted to the 3rd line.

All in all, the more I think about it I am also glad it didn't work out. What I am happy about is Darcy, if this report is true, is being allowed to go for the big names either by free agency or trade. He has not been allowed to do this under previous owners.This is something I like to think nobody on SabreSpace can disagree w/.

The nay sayers can do that.. but you can't blame Darcy for not being the GM of the team in Minnesota.. close to where Parise grew up.

Still.. remember this article when Patrick Kane is a FA... perhaps he wants to be in Buffalo? Or Orpik?

It is what it is.. the ability and willingness to make the offers is what matters. If geographical factors play into it there's not much you can do about it. I wouldn't have been surprised to see the Sabres try and create a Team USA in Buffalo. With Miller in the back and Parise, Suter, and perhaps going for Ryan. Didn't happen.. so be it.. perhaps he tried, we won't know.

Why do we lament not signing players to huge contracts? One player does not make a team, when you dress 18 players. I know you can argue the character, game changer, & total package aspects of a player. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. How many big free agents fall flat on their faces? The little pieces are what makes a team. Add the huge cap sucking contracts and your 3/4 lines & 5/6 defensemen start to look very AHL.

The Sabres are going thru an attitude/character change. A Suter, Weber, or Praise would not make a world of difference this year. A Doan or Arnott would add to that change. I like this team going forward. Love that Training camp will be a competitive battleground for the players who want to be on the team. Retreads need not apply.

Friedman was on the Howard Simon show this morning.

He sounded pretty confident that the Sabres did indeed have these offers on the table. When speaking to other GM's about the Parise sweepstakes and some of the offers, most GM's wouldn't talk but one mentioned that he should look into Buffalo for who was a big player. After more digging he was able to get some other evidence that the Sabres were in big on both. He emailed DR and all Darcy said was that the Sabres don't comment on offers and congratulations to the Wild.

He also mentioned the Sabres are in on Doan.

Darcy has been in on Ryan since the first day it became known that he was available.

He has no source, but he wouldn't be surprised that the Sabres have been sniffing around Weber as well

He loves the Ott trade for Buffalo.

The Sabres are now known around the league as a team that will be in on anyone that they want to be in on. There are no limitations.

The only problem is that next offseason's cupboard of FA is absolutely bare. I think, if we're in contention, the one move to make at the deadline would be to acquire Jarome Iginla. He'll be a FA next offseason, so that'd give us some time to get him extended and he'd be a great leader/addition to this team.

Well I wouldn't call it "bare." There is Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf and Jarome Iginla there for the taking. But with only a handful of guy, the whole league will be throwing money at them. That's why potentially acquiring a guy like Iginla early would be great.

Why do we lament not signing players to huge contracts? One player does not make a team, when you dress 18 players. I know you can argue the character, game changer, & total package aspects of a player. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. How many big free agents fall flat on their faces? The little pieces are what makes a team. Add the huge cap sucking contracts and your 3/4 lines & 5/6 defensemen start to look very AHL.

The Sabres are going thru an attitude/character change. A Suter, Weber, or Praise would not make a world of difference this year. A Doan or Arnott would add to that change. I like this team going forward. Love that Training camp will be a competitive battleground for the players who want to be on the team. Retreads need not apply.

Good post. And thanks for changing the text from 20/10 to 20/40. :)

After I read the post, I asked myself a familiar question: who is the GM of the Buffalo Sabres?

The Sabres do have a couple of defenseman Suter would've done fine with, in my opinion . Myers, Ehrhoff, Regehr and yes, Sekera. Buffalo's D' would've improved quite a bit. Yet, one does have to wonder what player(s) would be gone. If Myers or Ehrhoff were shipped out because of Suter's deal, I would have to agree w/ you. I would not be happy. It would've been a waste of money and a loss of a player or two. As for Parise, he is getting far too much. I'm not sure if his production would've gone up if he came to Buffalo. Would Parise play great hockey if he was paired w/ Hodgson or Ennis? Ennis did make Stafford look like a stud when they got put together, but it's all a what if and we'll never know. I think if Parise were brought in, Darcy would've had to make a major move to bring in an already proven 1st line center. Yet, that backfires because either Ennis or Hodgson would demoted to the 3rd line.

All in all, the more I think about it I am also glad it didn't work out. What I am happy about is Darcy, if this report is true, is being allowed to go for the big names either by free agency or trade. He has not been allowed to do this under previous owners.This is something I like to think nobody on SabreSpace can disagree w/.

Good post, completely agree with the bolded part. Moreso than that he seems to be quite smart with the money as well (Leino gets a pass until January, assuming a normal season).

Good post. And thanks for changing the text from 20/10 to 20/40. :)

After I read the post, I asked myself a familiar question: who is the GM of the Buffalo Sabres?

We bash Darcy for his conservative nature or for not being part of the GM inner circle. He is a middle of the road GM, I would never argue that fact. I lived thru the doomed Atlanta franchise. Atlanta’s GM Wandell shamefully spent money on free agents and traded recklessly. Holik and Zhitnik to name a few of many examples. We were continually poached of prospects for has-beens, want-a-bes, or never will bes. That was hard to stomach. So, image a Sabres team where the pantry is empty and everything in the fridge is moldy. If we had a truly bad GM, that where we would be. Like the horrible situation that happened in Atlanta, would there still be a hockey team in Buffalo? Thinking about that, maybe a middle of the road GM isn’t so bad.

It sounds nearly unbelievable. Sadly we never knew if this article is right.

That would be a good interview question for DR the next time he's on WGR. (Are you reading this, internet forum content combers?)

Ask DR, without naming names, but maybe saying whether it was forward/defense/goaltender (if he felt it was appropriate), what some of the highest total values of declined contracts he ever offered to UFAs were. Suggest to him that the answer would give fans a more tangible sense of the organization's effort to improve.

If he answers the question and it ends up being more than what we tried to throw at Drury, it's an automatic Buffalo News sports news article, Buffalo News sports opinion column, dozens of blogs, thousands of forum posts, and about a million hours of WGR babbling time over the next few years.

Orpik? He'll be 34 when he hits UFA status. No one is going to throw too much money at an older physical defenseman, especially longterm.

Very true.. just using a Buffalo area player as an example of hometown desire playing into attracting players.

If we were willing to hash out that kinda dough, that would mean there is a faction of players Darcy was (and may still be) willing to dump in order to clear space. The same should apply for an eventual trade. No one is safe, send some serious offers down Anaheim and Columbus' way.

I too found this quite interesting and commend Jeremy White for the insight. This would've meant taking on about $15MM per year in cap hit, while the Sabres, after signing Ennis and Kaleta, will only have about $5MM or so -- so they would've had to dump about $10MM. Pretty interesting to speculate who would've been on the chopping block.

True, the "big guns" still aren't here. But at least it shows that Darcy and the owner are swinging for the fences...

Good call.

Very true.. just using a Buffalo area player as an example of hometown desire playing into attracting players.

I'd be much more concerned about attracting any good hockey player, regardless of where their hometown is. The "we have to sign the local boy" idea gets way to much play around here.

Archived