Did the Sabres Make 100 Million Offers

Brawndo

Color me cynical, but reporting terms like "sounds like" and "it's believed" don't carry much weight with me.

When the Sabres "flagship station" puts out a column like White's, where the message seems to be "something big is coming" (didn't say when, maybe in two years), I get even more suspicious.

I think the spin machine is at work here.

Color me cynical, but reporting terms like "sounds like" and "it's believed" don't carry much weight with me.

When the Sabres "flagship station" puts out a column like White's, where the message seems to be "something big is coming" (didn't say when, maybe in two years), I get even more suspicious.

Good analysis.

I really like the new and improved PA, without the drama.

I too will believe things only when I can really see them ... when any trade, or signing, is officially announced and not before. I did read the article, but it really means nothing.

I don't really care if they were big on Parise, or Suter, or both. If they were it's encouraging that they seem to have tried, but they did not get them. Let me know when something actually happens. And don't spin like a top when it doesn't ... we tried, but ... doesn't mean much to me.

for iginla i would give up leopold or sekera and 2nd round pick and nothing more.

I dunno if you are one of the people that really wanna land Doan, but if you wanna land Doan, Iggy is so much better. A lot of teams will pay a lot for him. However, Iggy won't go to another team, the management in Calgary is screwed, well and truly. They'll never do a full rebuild, and they'll never trade Iggy or Kipper, unless they go straight up and ask for it, and even then, it wouldn't be to a contender, it'll be for what they can get most back.

The only problem is that next offseason's cupboard of FA is absolutely bare. I think, if we're in contention, the one move to make at the deadline would be to acquire Jarome Iginla. He'll be a FA next offseason, so that'd give us some time to get him extended and he'd be a great leader/addition to this team.

Well I wouldn't call it "bare." There is Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf and Jarome Iginla there for the taking. But with only a handful of guy, the whole league will be throwing money at them. That's why potentially acquiring a guy like Iginla early would be great.

Not too usre on Perry, but the other 2 will be gone within minutes. Iggy will sign back with the Flames and I'm not sure on Getzlaf, but reports have surfaced that he'd love to play for the Jets, mostly because he's from Regina and it's closest to home. He likes the fans and the atmosphere there. Whether or not he'll sign is a different matter, but I know they're gonna go for him hard next FA. They are much like the Sabres, lot of potential for the future. However, their drafting scenario is absolutely devastating. Anyway, that's another topic...

I'm glad I'm not the only cynic around anymore. All the golly gee we tried real hard for those gosh darn players is hardly tolerable. Dag nabbit!

Even I read it that way.

Friedman was on the Howard Simon show this morning.

He sounded pretty confident that the Sabres did indeed have these offers on the table. When speaking to other GM's about the Parise sweepstakes and some of the offers, most GM's wouldn't talk but one mentioned that he should look into Buffalo for who was a big player. After more digging he was able to get some other evidence that the Sabres were in big on both. He emailed DR and all Darcy said was that the Sabres don't comment on offers and congratulations to the Wild.

He also mentioned the Sabres are in on Doan.

Darcy has been in on Ryan since the first day it became known that he was available.

He has no source, but he wouldn't be surprised that the Sabres have been sniffing around Weber as well

He loves the Ott trade for Buffalo.

The Sabres are now known around the league as a team that will be in on anyone that they want to be in on. There are no limitations.

What a difference a new owner makes!!

The only problem is that next offseason's cupboard of FA is absolutely bare. I think, if we're in contention, the one move to make at the deadline would be to acquire Jarome Iginla. He'll be a FA next offseason, so that'd give us some time to get him extended and he'd be a great leader/addition to this team.

Well I wouldn't call it "bare." There is Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf and Jarome Iginla there for the taking. But with only a handful of guy, the whole league will be throwing money at them. That's why potentially acquiring a guy like Iginla early would be great.

I would go heavy after Getzlaf.

I dunno if you are one of the people that really wanna land Doan, but if you wanna land Doan, Iggy is so much better. A lot of teams will pay a lot for him. However, Iggy won't go to another team, the management in Calgary is screwed, well and truly. They'll never do a full rebuild, and they'll never trade Iggy or Kipper, unless they go straight up and ask for it, and even then, it wouldn't be to a contender, it'll be for what they can get most back.

Not too usre on Perry, but the other 2 will be gone within minutes. Iggy will sign back with the Flames and I'm not sure on Getzlaf, but reports have surfaced that he'd love to play for the Jets, mostly because he's from Regina and it's closest to home. He likes the fans and the atmosphere there. Whether or not he'll sign is a different matter, but I know they're gonna go for him hard next FA. They are much like the Sabres, lot of potential for the future. However, their drafting scenario is absolutely devastating. Anyway, that's another topic...

Perry will sign with the first few days. He'll get the Parise attention. Iggy isn't resigning with Calgary if they're not competing this year, which they wont. I think Getzlaf is a little overrated in my mind.

for iginla i would give up leopold or sekera and 2nd round pick and nothing more.

Are you serious? Iginla is one of the best leaders in the league. He's a 30 goal, 60 point guy every year. But it really depends. If you could make the move NOW, I'd give Stafford, Sekera and a 3rd. If it was at the deadline, I'd only give what you're saying. If it was for his rights, I'd just give one dman.

Yes, I'd much rather go back to the Golisano era where every year in June we could count on Darcy telling Sabres fans in no uncertain terms that the the team would not be involved with any of the marquee names. <_<

The only thing that matters is getting the players signed. The Sabres could have made the offers just like when the Bills offered their coaching job to Coward and Shanahan knowing neither would sign.

The Sabres are still playing from behind. If the Sabres can't outspend their competition they ain't getting the player.

The only thing that matters is getting the players signed. The Sabres could have made the offers just like when the Bills offered their coaching job to Coward and Shanahan knowing neither would sign.

The Sabres are still playing from behind. If the Sabres can't outspend their competition they ain't getting the player.

UFA's the past few years aren't all about the money. Sure, it's there but Richards wanted Torts and the NYR and Parise and Suter wanted hometown Minny.

UFA's the past few years aren't all about the money. Sure, it's there but Richards wanted Torts and the NYR and Parise and Suter wanted hometown Minny.

There's always the public relation geared explanation after the fact. No player wants it to seem like it's all about the money.

I'm glad I'm not the only cynic around anymore. All the golly gee we tried real hard for those gosh darn players is hardly tolerable. Dag nabbit!

Geez. Do you really think they made the offers hoping they wouldn't be accepted? And they did this just for PR purposes? That doesn't seem rational.

I agree that at present the Sabres still need to outspend if they want to get the high-end UFAs with multiple options. I don't think that will change until they make some noise in the playoffs, and they'll probably need to do so a few times. It will take time, but it will happen. In the meantime, I'm glad they put $200MM in play for the top 2 UFAs on the market this year. If they keep trying they will land some of these guys -- like maybe Doan.

I buy the cynicism on GR, but not on Friedman, unless you think that canny Darcy laid a false trail for him.

Yes, I'd much rather go back to the Golisano era where every year in June we could count on Darcy telling Sabres fans in no uncertain terms that the the team would not be involved with any of the marquee names. <_<

Right on to both of these.

Even I read it that way.

So, which is it? Or are you exercising a woman's prerogative to have it both ways here?

Geez. Do you really think they made the offers hoping they wouldn't be accepted? And they did this just for PR purposes? That doesn't seem rational.

I agree that at present the Sabres still need to outspend if they want to get the high-end UFAs with multiple options. I don't think that will change until they make some noise in the playoffs, and they'll probably need to do so a few times. It will take time, but it will happen. In the meantime, I'm glad they put $200MM in play for the top 2 UFAs on the market this year. If they keep trying they will land some of these guys -- like maybe Doan.

In an off-season with little fanfare, compared to last season, offers like that can carry some good will if they were actually made. There does seem to be a lot more info leaking out of the F'N Center. Not saying it happened that way, just that it did cross my mind when i first heard it.

I was concerned last off-season how the Sabres had to overpay to get Leino and Ehrhoff under contract. If Shane Doan signs with the Sabres I don't want it to because they were the only team to pay him 30 mil the first two seasons. I want there to be two equal offers where he chooses the Sabres because it gives him the best chance to win.

I want the Sabres to get quality hockey players, winners, not bounty hunters looking for a fat paycheck.

In an off-season with little fanfare, compared to last season, offers like that can carry some good will if they were actually made. There does seem to be a lot more info leaking out of the F'N Center. Not saying it happened that way, just that it did cross my mind when i first heard it.

I was concerned last off-season how the Sabres had to overpay to get Leino and Ehrhoff under contract. If Shane Doan signs with the Sabres I don't want it to because they were the only team to pay him 30 mil the first two seasons. I want there to be two equal offers where he chooses the Sabres because it gives him the best chance to win.

I want the Sabres to get quality hockey players, winners, not bounty hunters looking for a fat paycheck.

Dennis Wideman just got 5x$5.25. Matt Carle just got 6x$5.5. Ehrhoff's contract is a certified bargain.

The cap hit is reasonable, the cash value over the first five years is $43 mil. which separates his contract from the others.

Right....but so what? As long as the cash outlays don't restrict other moves, only the cap hit should be considered when discussing overpayment.

So, which is it? Or are you exercising a woman's prerogative to have it both ways here?

Two separate issues. I believe hometowns etc have more of an effect on UFA signings nowadays and I think the article is a bit homerish.

If everything is equal then other things like hometown come into play. But I think if the reports are true that the Sabres have been offering these equal or slightly better offers then I think we can still believe that coming to Buffalo is still not the first option for many players. They may know that the Sabres have one of the wealthiest owners in the league. They may know that the Sabres have one of the best facilities in the league. But the Sabres have not reached that tipping point of becoming a destination for players yet. Is it the perception of the city itself? Lindy? Something else or all the little things combined? I'm sure we'll never really know.

Archived