The Sabres Hockey Hotline with... somebody or other?

LGR4GM

Aren't you the one that rails against the library-like atmosphere of the FNC? Now you're saying fans shouldn't make noise when what they're rooting for happens?

That makes it even worse. This is what it takes to motivate the fans? The worst mock cheer of last night was the cheer Hackett got when he got to his knees after being injured, then an even mockier one when it was clear he was staying in the game. Please tell me how noble that was.

who cares! How easy is it on fans who have to watch these guys play??!! 

Maybe the players would be better off in a city where no no one cares and only 7000 show up to the game? Then they can continue to lose in peace and quiet.

Hey, I pay to watch them play.  At the start of this season I was against any deliberate tanking, and, frankly, I don't think the team is deliberately tanking.  That includes management.  I just think it's the last year of a tear down and rebuild.  At this point, I've accepted that finishing last is the best thing.  The players know we feel that way.  They get it.  Why rub it in?

That makes it even worse. This is what it takes to motivate the fans? The worst mock cheer of last night was the cheer Hackett got when he got to his knees after being injured, then an even mockier one when it was clear he was staying in the game. Please tell me how noble that was.

That was not a mock cheer.

And there you have it.

There is something wrong with showing up and cheering for the team to lose.  It can't be easy on the players, especially those who may not be here next year.

My brother. It served no purpose at all. It hurt the fans around them who had no choice but to hear and it hurt the players. It hurt this hockey town's reputation. Players around the league were also listening. Who am I to talk? I bitch about the players and franchise on a message board. A message board is the corner street light where you stand around and trash talk your dad. Last night a lot of fans went into the den and told dad to his face to die and go to hell.

We agree, I think hell may have frozen. :P

It does advance a cause.  Connor and Jack are a cause that leads to the effect of the Stanley Cup.

I'm talking about going into First Niagara Center in a freakin' Coyotes t-shirt and cheering their goals. It advanced no cause!

My brother. It served no purpose at all. It hurt the fans around them who had no choice but to hear and it hurt the players. It hurt this hockey town's reputation. Players around the league were also listening. Who am I to talk? I bitch about the players and franchise on a message board. A message board is the corner street light where you stand around and trash talk your dad. Last night a lot of fans went into the den and told dad to his face to die and go to hell.

I'm talking about going into First Niagara Center in a freakin' Coyotes t-shirt and cheering their goals. It advanced no cause!

If it knocked weber off his game (he admits it did) and he took the penalty that lead to the GWG, then it ABSOLUTELY advanced a cause.

If it knocked weber off his game (he admits it did) and he took the penalty that lead to the GWG, then it ABSOLUTELY advanced a cause.

Promo, don't play Twister with this guy either. That's a tantalizing point you make. Did Weber say the crowd had that effect? OK, maybe you have a point. Now I will twist things and ask if you think that's why some fans were behaving that way. Because they thought they could affect the outcome?

I'm not gonna be overly judgmental of people who cheered the tank at the FNC.

But I will be a little judgmental.

Quiet fist bumps, folks. Quiet fist bumps.

So, to Petey, just remember that if it weren't for the people in WNY caring enough about this team to want to actually be entertained by it in the future, you'd be selling used cars somewhere near Mississauga in all likelihood.

More likely he'd be bouncing at his buddy's sh1t club in GTO, after having gone bankrupt with a similar venture of his own.

The Sabres are a bad team by design. Thank You Pegula/Murray. Last night proved that Arizona is better and deserved 29th place. Why can't we commiserate with the team and coach who have been set up to fail. Cheer them on, root for them to play their best. They are not to blame. Pegula/Murray and the NHL for designing a lottery that encourages Tanking are the villains in this sad story. Cheer for Arizona and Edmonton, but NOT when they play Sabres and certainly NOT at home wearing Sabre gear.

Buffalo is the literal butt of all sports jokes.  We have been beaten down for decades, not years, decades.  That a fan base so long abused by middling teams, terrible ownership, threats of moving, complete and utter irrelevance to whatever sport their team is in, would suddenly reach the point where they say "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" should not be a surprise.  Sports is an emotional investment and currently our fans are emotionally invested in 1 thing, actually getting the player they deserve and need right now.  Pittsburgh tanked, Toronto is trying to tank, Edmonton has sucked for years, hell even LA and Chicago have top overall picks.  What because the Sabres fan base is educated and smart enough to understand what the hell is happening we are evil?  Fine then, let us be evil because being upright rule followers has gotten us precisely dick.  So if to get ahead we have to burn the system down, so be it. Nice guys finish last and fortune always will favor the bold.  

Love everything about this statement, its downright quote worthy.  Chicago was a joke for quite a while until they drafted Toews and Kane.  Then sprinkling in the other areas of the team.  It's life and it's time for Buffalo to do this.  

I watched the game in a bar that had the sound off. If that happened I in no way support it.

I watched the game in a bar that had the sound off. If that happened I in no way support it.

I heard it that way. Eleven didn't. It's very subjective. It jumped out at me because this is not usually the most supportive, demonstrative hockey crowd. Since when have goalies gotten two separate cheers after being hurt? This wasn't Malarchuk returning to the Aud and standing in the Zamboni entrance. This was Matt Hackett, defender of the tank. I took it as sarcastic, but again that's just me.

I'm not gonna be overly judgmental of people who cheered the tank at the FNC.

But I will be a little judgmental.

Quiet fist bumps, folks. Quiet fist bumps.

More likely he'd be bouncing at his buddy's sh1t club in GTO, after having gone bankrupt with a similar venture of his own.

:lol: Potaytoe, potahtoe.

As to the fans. It would have been preferable that they fist bumped rather than cheered but emotions were running high. At least noone booed when they scored. (It seemed that was the case on TV.) THAT would have been bad and completely uncalled for.

I heard it that way. Eleven didn't. It's very subjective. It jumped out at me because this is not usually the most supportive, demonstrative hockey crowd. Since when have goalies gotten two separate cheers after being hurt? This wasn't Malarchuk returning to the Aud and standing in the Zamboni entrance. This was Matt Hackett, defender of the tank. I took it as sarcastic, but again that's just me.

Players, for either team, ALWAYS get a cheer when they get up after the trainer hits the ice. Considering his was a 2 stager, it makes sense that he got 2 cheers.

Don't worry, it didn't.

Right. In the context of last night's game, no fans would have cheered Hackett staying in the game a little differently than usual. Buffalo fans do the polite golf clap in these situations, not the YEAHHHH WOO HOOO YEAHHHH GOOOOOOOO HACKETTTTTT THANKK GOD YOU'RE OOOOKKKKKKKK.

You're making something out of nothing PA. Fans give a courtesy cheer to anyone who gets up after being injured. Every stadium, everywhere, does this. It's not like the fans were ripping their shirts off and galavanting around in ecstasy when he got back up. It was exactly that, a polite golf clap. 

Right. In the context of last night's game, no fans would have cheered Hackett staying in the game a little differently than usual. Buffalo fans do the polite golf clap in these situations, not the YEAHHHH WOO HOOO ###### YEAHHHH GOOOOOOOO HACKETTTTTT THANKK GOD YOU'RE OOOOKKKKKKKK.

I took it as sarcastic, but again that's just me.

It is just you.

You're making something out of nothing PA. Fans give a courtesy cheer to anyone who gets up after being injured. Every stadium, everywhere, does this. It's not like the fans were ripping their shirts off and galavanting around in ecstasy when he got back up. It was exactly that, a polite golf clap. 

Yup.  Especially after Hackett went face down and stayed there for a while.  I was worried he got a knee to the noggin.

I think it's you, to be honest. It didn't seem any different than the cheer that any other player gets when he's down on the ice for awhile and gets up.

I was watching the game at my friend's house. He is kind of a vinyl junkie so we had the sound down and were listening to Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden and Genesis - Trick of the Tale on the ol' LP record player. Sounds like we made the right choice.

I listened on the radio. Well, online. It jumped out at me. Maybe Swamp can explain the difference in audio TV vs. radio. On the radio, you can often make out what the fans are saying, for example. Not true on TV.

I love how the very idea that people would cheer the goalie staying in the game a little more enthusiastically than normal last night is a non-starter for some of you.

Hell, Rick even pointed out how "appreciative" the crowd was — twice! He never does that. It was something out of the ordinary. Gee, I wonder what.

I listened on the radio. Well, online. It jumped out at me. Maybe Swamp can explain the difference in audio TV vs. radio. On the radio, you can often make out what the fans are saying, for example. Not true on TV.

Since you didn't see the situation - you didn't see Hackett first just lying there motionless for some time and then writhing in pain where it looked like they would need to bring out a stretcher.

Not that he needs help making mistakes, but if he let the crowd affect his game then it's time for him to go play in a quiet house league.

I love how the very idea that people would cheer the goalie staying in the game a little more enthusiastically than normal last night is a non-starter for some of you.

Hell, Rick even pointed out how "appreciative" the crowd was — twice! He never does that. It was something out of the ordinary. Gee, I wonder what.

I was listening to the radio as well at that point.  First, as others have pointed out, it's no different than the cheer that every injured player gets when he gets up.  Second, who am I going to trust--RJ, who was at the game?  Or a guy who 99% of the time is *looking* for a reason to be down on the team and its fans?

The point about it being inappropriate to cheer a loss at a live game is well taken.  This nonsense about Hackett's injury is beyond stretching it.

Edited by Eleven

PA, is it possible that you feel guilty about a small voice inside you that was happy hackett was going to stay in the game to help let in the GWG, and that to cope with that guilt you are projecting those emotions onto faceless voices of radio strangers whom you've never met?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.