The Sabres Hockey Hotline with... somebody or other?

LGR4GM

I forgot to mention one important fact: I have no sense of smell. That makes things a lot easier.

A 1/8 inch piece of wool around the foot isn't going to provide any protection at all when hit by a slapshot.

lol, thats too funny. I was referring to the fact that his foot was crammed into a skate that is 2 sizes too small. sorry, I thought that was obvious. From my experience playing this game I'd think that would have negative repercussions as far as the chance of injury. Maybe not ? Who knows.

Paraphrasing: There's a lot of talent on this team. If every guy had 30% of Matt Ellis's heart, they'd have been a playoff team.

Responding: No, there isn't. That's the problem.

I agree. A lot of unproven talent and not enough veteran talent.

Interesting that both think that Myers will come back as a beast this season. "He has a lot of pride." Well I hope this is the case I remain very skeptical of Myers ability to mature mentally and just be able to play. Also he better show up in top shape or they should ship him out immediately. You don't want to work in the offseason out the door you go.

Paraphrasing: There's a lot of talent on this team. If every guy had 30% of Matt Ellis's heart, they'd have been a playoff team.

Responding: No, there isn't. That's the problem.

Yes, and if every guy had Matt Ellis' talent and 300% of his heart, they'd still be terrible NHL players.

Also he better show up in top shape or they should ship him out immediately.

KS was suggesting Tyler Myers is currently in outstanding shape, but didn't come right out and say it. KS also had reason to believe he'll bounce back this season, but didn't say why (why didn't he say why?? argh). Both KS and AP glossed over the fact that Myers played pretty alright towards the end of last season, and KS could've said that, so I'm not sure what they're holding back. Listening to this show is weird.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

KS was suggesting Tyler Myers is currently in outstanding shape, but didn't come right out and say it. KS also had reason to believe he'll bounce back this season, but didn't say why (why didn't he say why?? argh). Both KS and AP glossed over the fact that Myers played pretty alright towards the end of last season, and KS could've said that, so I'm not sure what they're holding back. Listening to this show is weird.

i believe what they did not say, probably because they assume ppl know, is that Myers has been in Buffalo this summer working out. I am not sure for how long or if he is still there but I saw something on twitter a month ago about how Myers was in Buffalo. Don't remember who or the context but I am guessing that is what those two goofs are referring to.

i believe what they did not say, probably because they assume ppl know, is that Myers has been in Buffalo this summer working out. I am not sure for how long or if he is still there but I saw something on twitter a month ago about how Myers was in Buffalo. Don't remember who or the context but I am guessing that is what those two goofs are referring to.

We are going to see a better Myers under Rolston, than we did under Ruff.

We are going to see a better Myers under Rolston, than we did under Ruff.

I agree. I get the impression from Darcy (sorry ppl just relax) and Rolston that being lazy in the summer and coming to camp unprepared will not be tolerated. I hope Rolston goes all Herb Brooks on the lazy guys... again. again. again. again.

Speaking of Tyler Myers... James Patrick compares and discussing him and Oleksiak

“I definitely think it’s a fair question, but I won’t have an answer for a while,” Patrick said when asked about any comparisons between the two. “I do think it’s a challenge for a player of that size, and it is a learning process. Tyler still is learning.

“I think one of the things that affected him was he was given so much responsibility so early that he felt he had to maybe do too much, that he tried too hard at times,” Patrick said. “I’m not sure where Jamie is yet, but I do think there should be lessons that I’ve learned through Tyler that should be helpful in Jamie’s development.”

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/07/new-stars-assistant-coach-james-patrick-ready-for-change-excited-about-possibilities-in-dallas.html/

Sylvester and Peters are discussing how under Ruff, Myers was involved always with jumping in down low and under Rolston, Myers stayed up high more often and was more defensive minded. I think it will be interesting to see how our defense looks this season with Rolston getting a entire season. I think Ruff drank to much of his own kool-aid and forced his defenders into a system they were not able to play. Rolston seems a little less system oriented and a more of a trust in the players type. I could be completely wrong on this but it gives me something to look forward to.

Sylvester and Peters are discussing how under Ruff, Myers was involved always with jumping in down low and under Rolston, Myers stayed up high more often and was more defensive minded. I think it will be interesting to see how our defense looks this season with Rolston getting a entire season. I think Ruff drank to much of his own kool-aid and forced his defenders into a system they were not able to play. Rolston seems a little less system oriented and a more of a trust in the players type. I could be completely wrong on this but it gives me something to look forward to.

When Myers troubles started under Ruff this season, Ruff had him try to simplify his game and focus on defense first before Rolston took over. Rolston picked up that torch and took it farther by telling Myers something along the lines of "I don't care if you don't score again all year. Establish your defensive game."

Every coach will have a system, and I expect Rolston to strongly implement one this season starting in training camp. If it didn't look like Rolston had a system, it was probably a result of picking up the team mid-season.

I hope Rolston doesn't shut Myers down completely. His ability on the rush is a strong part of his game.

His troubles were less about being caught up-ice and more about terrible decisions when the puck was in our zone.

That is true, I think Myers issue was not primarily Ruff but how out of shape he was. That being said I think Ruff's system of attack limited the defenses ability to get the puck out. They had a much easier time of exiting the zone after Rolston took over IMPO.

When was Myers at his best? First season, before being indoctrinated. He's an instinctive player. And maybe not all that bright, who knows. Why fill his head with garbage? Wanna go on the rush? Go. Hit people. Clear the zone. Is it all that complicated?

Is it all that complicated?

If you try to do too much as a defenseman, it gets complicated really fast.

Myers simplified his game and he got a lot better towards the end of the season because of it. He was as low as -9 after 11 games, but then in the next 26 games he was +5 (I don't like +/- either, but it illustrates the story). As such, he was rewarded with consistently more ice time.

The way he improved last season shows me he could come out and have a great season this year. I hope he does, but it's another line on this team's long laundry list.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.