NHL 2012 Playoffs Thread

thesportsbuff

The cliche response always winds up being "nothing will change until someone dies". At this point that's probably not even the case.

As for Kerry Frasier, I do like his columns, but he does so often miss a major detail. He's making all of these decisions based on seeing the replay a million times. That's not valid at all when questioning a call made on the ice. The refs see it once at full speed with obstructed views. They're never going to get everything right. We all fall victim to it on here too.

There's one thing I'd love to see in this game: helmet cams on refs. Who wouldn't want to see things from the refs point of view on that tying goal against Toronto last week?

It'll never happen but that would be cool. No play shows better the "Ref perspective" effect than Pominville's concussion.

http://fanshots.com/...ille-concussion

In the angle at :02, there is no doubt the hit was from behind. The view at :38 (almost exactly the same as the ref's angle), the hit looks like it's from the side.

I just want to add that I don't think they will ever use helmet cams not because they would show what the Ref saw when he made a call, but what he saw when he didn't make one.

I don't understand the logic of the "white out" in Phoenix with all/most fans wearing white (obviously a carry-over from the Winnipeg roots of the franchise) yet the Coyotes are wearing all red uniforms and the Hawks are wearing white. It kind of looks like the fans are supporting the road team...

Phoenix is always at least a 1/4 full of other teams fans and IMO 3/4 Wings fans when Detroit is in town. On Toews goal a good section of the lower bowl jumped for joy. The hawks fans were wearing their white road jerseys.

It'll never happen but that would be cool. No play shows better the "Ref perspective" effect than Pominville's concussion.

http://fanshots.com/...ille-concussion

In the angle at :02, there is no doubt the hit was from behind. The view at :38 (almost exactly the same as the ref's angle), the hit looks like it's from the side.

I just want to add that I don't think they will ever use helmet cams not because they would show what the Ref saw when he made a call, but what he saw when he didn't make one.

Their union would never allow it. I'm mostly just thinking out loud on that one. There are a million things that would be cool to see which we never actually will.

And do you remember what they called on that Pominville hit? The one thing that was very clear from that clip is that both ref's arms immediately went up.

Their union would never allow it. I'm mostly just thinking out loud on that one. There are a million things that would be cool to see which we never actually will.

And do you remember what they called on that Pominville hit? The one thing that was very clear from that clip is that both ref's arms immediately went up.

I don't remember, but I'll guess interference.

Nothing will change as long as they have a former player doing the job. As much as I hated Terry Frazer as a ref he's proven to me with his work on T.S.N. that he might not be a bad alternative to someone like shanny. His insight always makes sense.

The problem isn't Shanahan per se, it's the GMs. Remember in preseason? He was dishing out heavy punishment like nobody's business...8 games for Wisniewski!?!?! In the fall GM meetings, the GMs essentially told him he was being too heavy handed, and now we basically have Colin Campbell's clone.

5 minutes, boarding and a game misconduct

This comment is funny

"This was a deliberate hit to the head and back of an unsuspecting player who didnt have the puck. The glass is a repeat offender who has cheapshotted numerous players before, see Zetterberg and Clifford, just yesterday. Therefore, the NHL will suspend the glass 5 games."

This comment is funny

"This was a deliberate hit to the head and back of an unsuspecting player who didnt have the puck. The glass is a repeat offender who has cheapshotted numerous players before, see Zetterberg and Clifford, just yesterday. Therefore, the NHL will suspend the glass 5 games."

That would make a great Shanny video. :lol:

This comment is funny

Would have been 3, but it was a Bruin.

Nothing will change as long as they have a former player doing the job. As much as I hated Terry Frazer as a ref he's proven to me with his work on T.S.N. that he might not be a bad alternative to someone like shanny. His insight always makes sense.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=393053

sound reasoning from Frazer , his thinking Weber should have been given one game suspension plus fine. Myself would like to see a starting point of five games for first offense , suspensions doubling for all other intent to injure, this carried over his entire career, and if action results in player being injured and not able to play , suspended player should be out until injured player declared healthy to resume playing.

yikes fast goal penguins 1 - 0 15 seconds.

Archived