NHL 2012 Playoffs Thread

thesportsbuff

If Weber plays the puck up the boards then he isn't facing the glass at the point of impact with Zetterberg. I rewatched the hit a few times after you commented on it, but I don't see Zetterberg 'driving his head into the glass.' Yes, Zetterberg hits him, but he seems to roll off him to a degree and I wouldn't classify it as either a 'true' hit from behind nor a boarding. I'd be more inclined to take issue w/ what Henrik did if he ended up at the end of the play w/ all his momentum in Weber's back sandwiching him into the boards. That's not where Zetterberg ends up, he ends up next to Weber (through 1 continuous motion IMHO) trying to cut off the puck.

Not overly thrilled with the punch to the back of Henrik's head, but that always gets let go at this time of the year; much like Zetterberg 'clearly' going for the puck and then NOT 'driving' him into the boards headfirst will always get let go at this time of the year. The issue, as I see it and apparently as Shanny saw it as he did fine Weber, is that it's painfully dumb to grab a guy's head and ram it into the glass. Regardless of whether Zetterberg played up the aftermath of the hit or not. (I think we disagree on whether Zetterberg was acting and I doubt either will convince the other on that part of the play.)

Perhaps the fact that Zetterberg wears a shield and thus his face didn't actually hit the glass plays a role in the no suspension verdict? No doubt Weber is a big star, which probably also plays a role. If that was Kaleta doing the head slamming, would there be no suspension? (I think we all know the answer to that one)

Perhaps the fact that Zetterberg wears a shield and thus his face didn't actually hit the glass plays a role in the no suspension verdict? No doubt Weber is a big star, which probably also plays a role. If that was Kaleta doing the head slamming, would there be no suspension? (I think we all know the answer to that one)

Or Sydney Crosby's noggin....that might have been different too.

If Weber plays the puck up the boards then he isn't facing the glass at the point of impact with Zetterberg. I rewatched the hit a few times after you commented on it, but I don't see Zetterberg 'driving his head into the glass.' Yes, Zetterberg hits him, but he seems to roll off him to a degree and I wouldn't classify it as either a 'true' hit from behind nor a boarding. I'd be more inclined to take issue w/ what Henrik did if he ended up at the end of the play w/ all his momentum in Weber's back sandwiching him into the boards. That's not where Zetterberg ends up, he ends up next to Weber (through 1 continuous motion IMHO) trying to cut off the puck.

Not overly thrilled with the punch to the back of Henrik's head, but that always gets let go at this time of the year; much like Zetterberg 'clearly' going for the puck and then NOT 'driving' him into the boards headfirst will always get let go at this time of the year. The issue, as I see it and apparently as Shanny saw it as he did fine Weber, is that it's painfully dumb to grab a guy's head and ram it into the glass. Regardless of whether Zetterberg played up the aftermath of the hit or not. (I think we disagree on whether Zetterberg was acting and I doubt either will convince the other on that part of the play.)

For what it's worth, that's exactly how I saw the play.

The shield may have prevented injury, which played a part in there not being a suspension. Detroit did say, however, that Zetterberg's helmet was cracked. To me this is just once again shows that whether or not there's an injury should have zero impact on supplemental discipline. The precedent is set that smashing somebody's face into the glass is worth a $2500 fine, so if somebody does the EXACT same thing he should expect a $2500 fine...unless the player on the receiving end is concussed, then it's worth a suspension....for the SAME THING! It's so stupid.

If it were, say, Komisarek instead of Weber, Foligno instead of Zet, and ice instead of plexiglass, do you still feel the same way?

(Half kidding.)

in sincerity , such cannot be about what sweater r who, obvious intent to injure should always result in a suspension. That is how i seen it, understand entirely this just my opinion and appreciate reading what others think.

trust you are well... :)

in sincerity , such cannot be about what sweater r who, obvious intent to injure should always result in a suspension. That is how i seen it, understand entirely this just my opinion and appreciate reading what others think.

Agreed.

And I hope you're well, too, Millbank.

I'm sure Darcy will be able to find us a gem that will make us all forget about Goose with that #1, which is looking like it will be late 1st round if Goose keeps playing the way he did. Who needs to win faceoffs, they are a meaningless stat!

Are you talking to me? I feel like you're not even reading what I'm actually saying.

Can't believe Washington stared Holtby.

Actually I can.

Holtby is playing well, surprisingly, although he hasn't been challenged too much. The Bruins are dominating the game, out shooting the Caps 26-7, but they really aren't getting any traffic in front of Holtby so the shots are all really coming from the perimeter.

This Ottawa game is a treat. Anderson is seeing double out there. I almost feel bad for him.

Ottawa was dominating the game for the first 30, but couldn't get one in. Then Anderson pooped himself. Just remember though, the way to win in the NHL is with a journeyman goaltender and lots of offense! :rolleyes:

Last night's games were far more entertaining.

Ottawa was dominating the game for the first 30, but couldn't get one in. Then Anderson pooped himself. Just remember though, the way to win in the NHL is with a journeyman goaltender and lots of offense! :rolleyes:

Last night's games were far more entertaining.

Agreed on the last point. This Blues game just got interesting. Hoping something goes boom in the Boston game soon.

Agreed on the last point. This Blues game just got interesting. Hoping something goes boom in the Boston game soon.

Well, Washington has started looking like a professional hockey team in the 3rd, so maybe....

Also, the Rangers giving up a couple of late goals may do a lot for Ottawa's psyche heading into game 2.

I don't understand the logic of the "white out" in Phoenix with all/most fans wearing white (obviously a carry-over from the Winnipeg roots of the franchise) yet the Coyotes are wearing all red uniforms and the Hawks are wearing white. It kind of looks like the fans are supporting the road team...

I knew as soon as the game started last night that this would be a war of attrition. I don't think Detroit makes it through with a full roster, if they even make it.

Nashville is last years Boston. They'll take you to game 7 and beat you 1-0 every time, not to mention they'll crush you physically

I don't understand the logic of the "white out" in Phoenix with all/most fans wearing white (obviously a carry-over from the Winnipeg roots of the franchise) yet the Coyotes are wearing all red uniforms and the Hawks are wearing white. It kind of looks like the fans are supporting the road team...

It's Phoenix...they might be.

While I agree with the lack of logic there, several NHL team's have had a "white out" for the first game of the playoffs, including our own Buffalo Sabres in 2005-06 and the Penguins one of these years (if not every year) as well. And since the away team always wears white, it always seems backwards... but alas, Phoenix didn't "start" that trend and can't really be blamed for latching on.

And on top of that, they've said over and over that they want to eliminate the plays where someone intentionally targets the head. Is there any more intentional targeting of the head than grabbing someone's head and slamming it into the boards? The NHL is still as transparent as they ever were when it comes to these things. Nothing has changed and nothing ever will.

And on top of that, they've said over and over that they want to eliminate the plays where someone intentionally targets the head. Is there any more intentional targeting of the head than grabbing someone's head and slamming it into the boards? The NHL is still as transparent as they ever were when it comes to these things. Nothing has changed and nothing ever will.

Nothing will change as long as they have a former player doing the job. As much as I hated Terry Frazer as a ref he's proven to me with his work on T.S.N. that he might not be a bad alternative to someone like shanny. His insight always makes sense.

Nothing will change as long as they have a former player doing the job. As much as I hated Terry Frazer as a ref he's proven to me with his work on T.S.N. that he might not be a bad alternative to someone like shanny. His insight always makes sense.

The cliche response always winds up being "nothing will change until someone dies". At this point that's probably not even the case.

As for Kerry Frasier, I do like his columns, but he does so often miss a major detail. He's making all of these decisions based on seeing the replay a million times. That's not valid at all when questioning a call made on the ice. The refs see it once at full speed with obstructed views. They're never going to get everything right. We all fall victim to it on here too.

There's one thing I'd love to see in this game: helmet cams on refs. Who wouldn't want to see things from the refs point of view on that tying goal against Toronto last week?

Archived