NHL 2012 Playoffs Thread

thesportsbuff

It is making for some great hockey.

I think we have different opinions of what great hockey is. When 1 period lasts an hour and 10 minutes because of a constant parade to the box and blatant goonery/thuggery, I don't find that great hockey. I think there's a clear distinction between good, physical playoff hockey, and what this game was for the first period.

Also, Marc-Andre Fleury is terrible. How has he not been pulled?

The scary thing about Philly is all of their young talent. If they manage to hang on to all those kids well into their 2nd contracts that team is going to be a force for quite a few years.

Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, and Read all become FAs in 2014 and the only big contracts that come off the books before that are Timonen and Meszaros for about $10 mil combined. There's going to have to be some painful shortcuts somewhere on the roster if they want to keep all 4 beyond that, assuming of course they all continue to develop. Until then, however, they look golden.

Paul Gaustad.....9-14 on draws in the defensive zone, many which he won cleanly switching hands at the last second. He had a huge game.

He's paying dividends for them right now but if they don't get past Detroit that 1st rounder they gave up is gonna look very expensive.

What's that? Am I hearing crickets from the "We need more goals in the NHL crowd?"

I've always thought goals were a poor argument in and of itself. There can be amazingly entertaining 2-1 games, and amazingly boring 6-5 games. To me it's all about the flow of the game, the ability of skill players to actually use their skill on the ice without being grabbed, hooked, and obstructed into the next world. Goals will generally come with a free-flowing offensive game, but just goal scoring alone tells very little about the game....for instance, this game is about pathetic goaltending.

I dunno. High-scoring games can be frustrating, but I'd never call them boring.

For me, it reaches the point of diminishing returns. When you expect every other shot to end up in the net, I don't find that entertaining. I think awful goaltending takes away a lot of the drama and tension that makes sports great. Maybe I'm in the minority on that one, but it's how I feel.

For me, it reaches the point of diminishing returns. When you expect every other shot to end up in the net, I don't find that entertaining. I think awful goaltending takes away a lot of the drama and tension that makes sports great. Maybe I'm in the minority on that one, but it's how I feel.

You're not alone... imagine empty nets at both ends. That would be old midway through one period.

You can't make a mistake against the Flyers forwards but this is beyond ridiculous. Even an average defensive/goaltending performance by Pittsburgh and Philly will still look good but certainly not unstoppable.

Archived