NHL 2012 Playoffs Thread

thesportsbuff

Well since the playoffs get started tonight, I think it's time to start the NHL 2012 Playoff Thread to discuss all the on-goings in the post-season.

Although I'm extremely disappointed in the way the Sabres' season came to a close, I'm a hockey fan through and through; The playoffs are always super exciting, even if my team isn't involved. There is nothing better than playoff hockey, so I'm going to do my best to enjoy it. I'm sure I will. Very thankful that nearly every game is going to be televised nationally this year.

Tonight's games:

Philly @ Pittsburgh, Game 1 -- 7:30 on NBC Sports Network, TSN

Detroit @ Nashville, Game 1 -- 8:00 on CNBC, CBC

Los Angeles @ Vancouver, Game 1 - 10:30 on CBC, NBC Sports Network

Philly and Pittsburgh is the big series that everyone will have their eye on, and certainly the game I'm going to be watching primarily at first. I'll catch some Nashville/Detroit action and the end of that one, but I don't think it will be as exciting as the Pitt/Philly one. Especially after all this anticipation and build up of the last several days.

LA and Vancouver could be a good series. I think the 'Nucks win it, but the Kings could surprise some people if they find their stride offensively.

Prediction Time!

I know there's a thread for predictions already but you may as well put them all in one place. Post your predictions here if you want.

I've got:

Rangers over Ottawa in 6.

Capitals over Bruins in 6.

Devils over Panthers in 7.

Penguins over Flyers in 6.

Out west I have:

Canucks over Kings in 6.

Sharks over Blues in 7.

Coyotes over Blackhawks in 7.

Predators over Detroit in 7.

If you're interested in why I took the picks I did, I posted my predictions and explanations on a new blog post.

Feel free to check it out here: http://www.thesportsbuff.com/?p=1316

I am definitely going to enjoy playoffs as well. It took me less time to get over the sabres end to their season, probably because I've been expecting that since January. My predictions are as follows:

NYR over senators in 5

Bos over Wash in 7 (they seem to have a thing for 7 game series)

Fla over NJ in 5 (just to be the first person to pick Florida)

Pitt over Filly in 4 (anticlimactic, worst first round series of all of them, only 6 goals scored total, and no fights.:P)

Van over LAK in 6

StL over SJS in 7

Phx over Chi in 4OT of game 7

Det over Nsh in 6

Pittsburgh loses in the cup final to Vancouver.

I like hockey.

Rangers over Senators in 6

--Rangers went 1-3 against them in the regular season and tend to struggle with speed teams, but it won't be enough to lose to a clearly inferior team.

Bruins over Capitals in 6

--Part of me feels this is a potential upset with Backstrom and Green back....but I just can't see the perennial playoff failures beating the defending champs.

Devils over Panthers in 5

--Last I checked, you can't OT-loss your way into round 2.

Penguins over Flyers in 7

--Pittsburgh is just the better team, but the Flyers won the season series and it will be brutal hockey. Also, Fleury has been very shaky lately. Look for a high scoring affair.

Canucks over Kings in 7

--Luongo meltdown alert! Luongo meltdown alert! I still think Vancouver pulls it out, but I think it's set to be a closer series than a typical 1v8.

Blues over Sharks in 5

--San Jose is just not very good this year, and I think the Blues will trap them into the offseason.

Blackhawks over Coyotes in 6

--I can't predict an NHL-owned franchise to win. Just can't. Although they easily could win if Toews doesn't come back.

Predators over Red Wings in 7

--Not that I want this to happen (draft pick), but I think having home ice actually matters in this series since Detroit is so much worse on the road than at home.

Pittsburgh over Vancouver in the Finals :sick:

I'm going to miss the beginning of the games tonight, as I have a hockey game of my own (finally). It'll be interesting to see who I root for between Philly and Pitt. I like some of the guys on Philly for once (Bryz, Simmonds, Giroux, Briere) and I generally hate Pittsburgh less. Should be an interesting one.

I've never been much for predictions (Sekera never scored eight goals in a game and Miller didn't get any hatters this year) but here it goes:

East (I expect to be somewhat accurate):

Rangers over Sens in 5. Sens just don't have the goal tending to compete with the Rangers.

Bruins over Capitals in 6: The Capitals have never proven anything in playoff hockey.

Devils over Panthers in 7: The Panthers make it interesting and the commentators will say something like "This is why I like the current seeding system."

Penguins over Flyers in 7: The Penguins are pretty weak down the middle, but I still think they grind this one out.

West (This is likely going to be about as factual as a fairy tale after the first round):

Canucks over Kings in 5: Kassian leads the Canucks to victory over the Kings.

Blues over Sharks in 4: Shark and awe, baby.

Blackhawks over Coyotes in 7: WE LOVE THE HAWKS AND WE'LL ALWAYS LOVE THE HAWKS, WE JUST HEARD ABOUT THE HAWKS THIS YEAR.

Red Wings over Preds in 6: And the Sabres get that sweet sweet draft pick.

Ok. I'm finally over the Sabres missing the....nevermind.

predictions:

EAST

Ottawa over NY in 7 (My upset pick): Ottawa played NY tough this season, going 3-1 against them. I think they pull it off.

Boston over Caps in 5: Caps aren't going to be any better with their injured players back. They are still a fringe team in my eyes that lucked out.

NJ over the Cats in 6: Tight series for the first few games, but I think NJ is going to pull it off.

Pitt over Philly in 7: Pittsburgh's two dirtiest "punks" are going to take to heart what the other team has been saying, and I think they take the full 7 to duke it out.

WEST

Canucks over LA in 6: I think LA can hang with the big guys for a little while, but in the end, Vancouver's depth is going to get the better of LA

Blues over Sharks in 6: My best Admiral acbar impersonation: "IT'S A TRAP!"

'Yotes over Hawks in 7: I don't know why, in all honesty, but i'm rooting for 'yotes. there is no logic behind this pick (reader beware).

Wings over Preds in 7: It's the playoffs, it's Detroit, and some things just don't change.

I realize I picked a lot of long series, but with the matchups that are here, I think we're going to see just that. But hey, it's the playoffs, and it's gonna be fun to watch...even if the Sabres aren't...oh nevermind.

I almost feel bad. almost. I just want to see Boston lose AFTER they beat the Caps in 4-5 games.

I disagree, I'd much rather see the Caps beat Boston. Not only do I have a special hatred for the Bruins, but I'll feel better about missing the playoffs to the Caps if they advance a round.

Once again Phillies goaltending will become a issue. It seems.

I don't think the goaltending is the difference in this game... the Pens are just swarming all over Philly and playing the more physical game. The Flyers are loaded with talented scoring forwards but they don't have much in the way of grit or jam... I don't see how the series should be getting as much hype as it is. That Broad Street Bully crap is long dead, the Flyers defense is arguably worse and less mobile than they were against the Sabres in 2006.

Once again Phillies goaltending will become a issue. It seems.

Philly only has one D pairing that can skate with the Pens top 3 lines.

Flyers are going to need some luck.

Rinaldo-Lilja-Grossman-Bourdon = short series.

It is hard enough to hide one D man - they can't hide 4.

Philly only has one D pairing that can skate with the Pens top 3 lines.

Flyers are going to need some luck.

Rinaldo-Lilja-Grossman-Bourdon = short series.

It is hard enough to hide one D man - they can't hide 4.

Were only one period into the series, let's see what happens post Game 1.

Archived