NHL 2012 Playoffs Thread

thesportsbuff

Canucks lose. Refs call snow showering penalty on Vancouver and then they take 2 over the glass penalties. Seriously, snow showering is a penalty? This is the friggin playoffs! It's hockey!

Terrible officiating both ways but the Kings deserved the win. The players had no clue what to expect. This series is a trap for Vancity and I wouldn't be shocked if LA upsets the Canucks.

Brad Richards is an arshole and gets away with murder. He purposely speared luongo in a scrum and got nothing. He speared him in the neck. He's a good player but gets off all the time. He slew footed Burrows at the end and nothing.

I don't think Brad Richards has played a playoff game yet this year... ;)

Not sure, vodka tastes tasty. I think what I meant to say was... While stupid, the hit wasn't that bad and It looked like Zetterberg was playing it up to try and get a call.

I'm not really concerned about what Zetterberg did. I'm concerned that trying to slam someone's head into the glass becomes okay.

I'm certainly glad he's going to be okay, that was a nasty injury. That is, however, a big blow to Detroit.

I knew as soon as the game started last night that this would be a war of attrition. I don't think Detroit makes it through with a full roster, if they even make it.

Goose scores a huge goal and wins the critical faceoff with 5 seconds left. Nashville's feeling pretty smart right now. I like it. Good for him. I still like our 1st rounder better but hey, Goose just cemented himself as a Predator anyways.

I'm sure Darcy will be able to find us a gem that will make us all forget about Goose with that #1, which is looking like it will be late 1st round if Goose keeps playing the way he did. Who needs to win faceoffs, they are a meaningless stat!

Apparently someone in the Kings organisation with access to the Twitter account had a little fun last night after the game

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=392932

To be honest, living in Ontario, I have never seen or heard much hatred towards the Canucks and never realised they were hated. I have never had a problem with them. The Leafs on the other hand....................

Good teams are usually hated. Isn't that the goal, to be good?

I'm sure nobody here would have a problem if the Sabres were hated by everyone if they were winning back to back President's Trophies.

Better to be good and hated than crappy and liked, if you ask me.

From last night

Shae Weber on Zetterberg head slam http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2i1Qe85sgg

LA tweet after last nights game... http://blogs.vancouv...ans-fir-flying/

"To Everyone in Canada outside BC , You are Welcome"

Weber ended up with $2,500 fine.

Kings say they dealing with this internally .

Weber head slam to me had all appearances of wwf stuff to me. Had to be a suspension. No other words than outrageous do for me.

LA tweet for most people I guess funny, and to some extent true. But wonder if such smack just providing bulletin board material, if I am Vancouver, it provides a unifying cause and motivation.

...... what do you think?

I think the tweet smack is what it is. Two organizations who want to have some fun and ignite their fanbases against each other. I would consider it healthy posturing. :flirt:

Weber only getting fined is silly. But it's the playoffs, so that's how it goes I guess. Just means anything goes. Open season on street fighting.

From last night

Weber head slam to me had all appearances of wwf stuff to me. Had to be a suspension. No other words than outrageous do for me.

LA tweet for most people I guess funny, and to some extent true. But wonder if such smack just providing bulletin board material, if I am Vancouver, it provides a unifying cause and motivation.

...... what do you think?

Weber should have been a suspension. It almost certainly (can't say anything's a 'certainty' when it comes to discipline in this league) would have been a game or 2 in the regular season. It should have been a game here. Harsh, yes, considering the fact it's the playoffs, but if you want to remove stupidity from the league you need to hit guys where it REALLY hurts - diminishing his team's chance of moving on by removing its best defenseman for a game or 2.

From last night

If it were, say, Komisarek instead of Weber, Foligno instead of Zet, and ice instead of plexiglass, do you still feel the same way?

(Half kidding.)

Weber should have been a suspension. It almost certainly (can't say anything's a 'certainty' when it comes to discipline in this league) would have been a game or 2 in the regular season. It should have been a game here. Harsh, yes, considering the fact it's the playoffs, but if you want to remove stupidity from the league you need to hit guys where it REALLY hurts - diminishing his team's chance of moving on by removing its best defenseman for a game or 2.

I think the tweet smack is what it is. Two organizations who want to have some fun and ignite their fanbases against each other. I would consider it healthy posturing. :flirt:

Weber only getting fined is silly. But it's the playoffs, so that's how it goes I guess. Just means anything goes. Open season on street fighting.

So, noone cares that Zetterberg hit Weber Smack in the numbers driving his head into the glass? It's probably the only reason he went after him. Zetterberg acting stunned was nothing but playoff gamesmanship.

So, noone cares that Zetterberg hit Weber Smack in the numbers driving his head into the glass? It's probably the only reason he went after him. Zetterberg acting stunned was nothing but playoff gamesmanship.

If Weber plays the puck up the boards then he isn't facing the glass at the point of impact with Zetterberg. I rewatched the hit a few times after you commented on it, but I don't see Zetterberg 'driving his head into the glass.' Yes, Zetterberg hits him, but he seems to roll off him to a degree and I wouldn't classify it as either a 'true' hit from behind nor a boarding. I'd be more inclined to take issue w/ what Henrik did if he ended up at the end of the play w/ all his momentum in Weber's back sandwiching him into the boards. That's not where Zetterberg ends up, he ends up next to Weber (through 1 continuous motion IMHO) trying to cut off the puck.

Not overly thrilled with the punch to the back of Henrik's head, but that always gets let go at this time of the year; much like Zetterberg 'clearly' going for the puck and then NOT 'driving' him into the boards headfirst will always get let go at this time of the year. The issue, as I see it and apparently as Shanny saw it as he did fine Weber, is that it's painfully dumb to grab a guy's head and ram it into the glass. Regardless of whether Zetterberg played up the aftermath of the hit or not. (I think we disagree on whether Zetterberg was acting and I doubt either will convince the other on that part of the play.)

Archived