It's not over.

wonderbread

I'm okay with it being over. After last night's game, it became apparent to me that as good as the Sabres played over the stretch run, they still would not have gone far in the playoffs. It was a great run, but it's over, and I'm okay with it. TPegs learned a lot about being an owner and I expect improvement next year from the top down.

Agreed. They still need a 1 center and some more maturity on the back end. Ennis shouldn't have to be the number 1. Roy needs to go, not sure about Stafford, can't believe I am saying that, cause I have called for his head for 2 years, but the line has chemistry and he is paid for. Get a number 1 center and another clone of Foligno and this team goes far. Start looking for a Miller replacement.

Agreed. They still need a 1 center and some more maturity on the back end. Ennis shouldn't have to be the number 1. Roy needs to go, not sure about Stafford, can't believe I am saying that, cause I have called for his head for 2 years, but the line has chemistry and he is paid for. Get a number 1 center and another clone of Foligno and this team goes far. Start looking for a Miller replacement.

This is really confusing to me. I'm fine with Miller for the time being, and if we're looking for a long term replacement, Enroth should get a shot. Do you mean an immediate replacement for Miller?

Ted Black was on GR this morning saying that RJ thought he skipped too many games this year; he was too fresh / rested, so I'd be shocked if RJ isn't back next year and calling a handful of extra games. (Not counting playoffs, obviously. ;))

I'm a huge RJ fan, but if the team president talks about the play-by-play guy the morning after his team misses the playoffs...well, no wonder the team is in the shape it is.

I'm a huge RJ fan, but if the team president talks about the play-by-play guy the morning after his team misses the playoffs...well, no wonder the team is in the shape it is.

That was from yesterday morning, not today. He was just answering a question from a caller.

:huh:

As stated in the post above. The interview with Ted Black was the morning PRIOR to last night's game. NOT this morning. And TB was responding directly to a question from a listener about what steps have been taken to find a replacement for RJ. The answer was none, because they don't know when he'll retire and that RJ stated that he took too many games off this year and wanted to have fewer days off next season.

Unacceptable. I think most agree that it should cost LR and/or DR their jobs. Except Pegula / Black have told us it won't. So there you have it. All we can do is hope that tweaks to the roster that are accomplished this offseason serve to wake this friggin team up.

You are aware it is Pegula's personal money?

You think he likes losing millions of dollars? He might have a lot, but that does not mean you like throwing it away. Just because someone earns $100,000 doesn't mean they will just throw $2000 away. If Pegula keeps DR, and by proxy keeps or lets go of LR, it is for no other reason than he thinks they are the best available people for the job.

Missing great scoring opportunities and not burying the puck. That's what's old and stale.

The Sabres needed d-men and Regier got those.

The Sabres needed a center and Regier got one.

The Sabres needed another first round pick, he got another one. Want to fire him?

I actually agree on this. how long do you get a hall pass for?

LR gone. DR stays. granted Roy can go (if any takers for value and not the moon).

My fine line for me is injuries and how that fine line is balanced. And/or Vanek is playing injured all the time (which it's seems), but Hecht and others seemed to be on the rag all the time. if it's granted, it is granted, fine. I know for a fact that an injury is a re-accruing injury down the road ( damaged goods) and I am all for a healthy return policy.

You are aware it is Pegula's personal money?

You think he likes losing millions of dollars? He might have a lot, but that does not mean you like throwing it away. Just because someone earns $100,000 doesn't mean they will just throw $2000 away. If Pegula keeps DR, and by proxy keeps or lets go of LR, it is for no other reason than he thinks they are the best available people for the job.

Of course all the above is true, but I don't know how it has anything to do with what I posted. Many posters believe the time has long come and gone for a change in management. It's an opinion. Mr. Pegula has a different vision and believes that DR/LR can fulfill it for him. His is the only opinion that matters.

This is really confusing to me. I'm fine with Miller for the time being, and if we're looking for a long term replacement, Enroth should get a shot. Do you mean an immediate replacement for Miller?

Longterm replacement. Sorry I don't see Enroth as anything but a talented backup.

Unacceptable. I think most agree that it should cost LR and/or DR their jobs. Except Pegula / Black have told us it won't. So there you have it. All we can do is hope that tweaks to the roster that are accomplished this offseason serve to wake this friggin team up.

I'd like to know what Lindys excuse is for not making playoffs. What or who can he blame? The players? The coaching, himself?

Can't say he didn't have the tools...

This Leino debacle, on any other team, would mean some real bad things for either the coach or the GM. Our "core" guys, again, I really feel DID respond to whatever Lindy was saying to them, and he picked a great captain in Pominville, I think.

But all you have to look at is Ville Leino's entire season, and then unbelievably mailing in this last game, and you know that disrespect for the coach exists from a guy that the GM just committed to like a 30-year contract. That is so uncool it's beyond comprehension to me.

And on ANY other team, that situation alone would get either the GM or the coach into the soup.

This Leino debacle, on any other team, would mean some real bad things for either the coach or the GM. Our "core" guys, again, I really feel DID respond to whatever Lindy was saying to them, and he picked a great captain in Pominville, I think.

But all you have to look at is Ville Leino's entire season, and then unbelievably mailing in this last game, and you know that disrespect for the coach exists from a guy that the GM just committed to like a 30-year contract. That is so uncool it's beyond comprehension to me.

And on ANY other team, that situation alone would get either the GM or the coach into the soup.

I disagree a Leino-type move would get another GM fired, unless he was already on his way out. There isn't a personnel guy in the world who hits on every move he makes...people miss. Pegula buried 5 million in salary this season...if Leino doesn't straighten out I could see him buried as well by the end of next season, unless we can offload him somehow.

Miller's replacement=Enroth. I agree with the rest. Find a way (it won't be easy or liked) to bring in a #1 center. Maybe the draft (possibly move up), maybe trade the picks (cash strapped team perhaps), maybe move Vanek/Roy/whatever else it takes to get it done. It may involve moving McNabb (please no) or another top prospect (Armia?). If they could bring in someone like Malone or Hartnell (maybe not those guys in particular) to beef up the lineup like you said a "Foligno Clone".

I disagree a Leino-type move would get another GM fired, unless he was already on his way out. There isn't a personnel guy in the world who hits on every move he makes...people miss. Pegula buried 5 million in salary this season...if Leino doesn't straighten out I could see him buried as well by the end of next season, unless we can offload him somehow.

That was my thinking as well. I think Ville gets another season to prove himself and if they can't find a trading partner, "starting on LW for your Rochester Americans, 'Ville Leino'."

Missing great scoring opportunities and not burying the puck. That's what's old and stale.

The Sabres needed d-men and Regier got those.

The Sabres needed a center and Regier got one.

The Sabres needed another first round pick, he got another one. Want to fire him?

The Sabres needed to make the playoffs and Regier.......oh.......oh, nevermind. Probably not his fault though. He only had the highest payroll in hockey to work with.

The Sabres needed to make the playoffs and Regier.......oh.......oh, nevermind. Probably not his fault though. He only had the highest payroll in hockey to work with.

You know, people keep citing highest payroll as if it's a given that a high payroll should equal success. I'd like to see where teams with the highest payroll have finished in the past.

You know, people keep citing highest payroll as if it's a given that a high payroll should equal success. I'd like to see where teams with the highest payroll have finished in the past.

I can think of a team with a really high payroll that finished ninth in its conference two years ago. GIANT contracts on the roster. Stars! They had earlier raided the Sabres of one of their captains. But ninth. Out of the playoffs.

Finished eighth the following year, and won a single playoff game--against one of the worst playoff teams in the league.

This team, under its current coach, never has made it out of the first round.

Yet, this team did not fire the coach, even though he is much more controversial than most.

This team is sailing into the playoffs as the top seed in the EC this year.

There is a counterexample for each and every item of ###### that will be spouted over the coming weeks. For every Sutter, there is a Carlyle. For every Hitchcock in Saint Louis, there is another Hitchcock in Filly, and yet another in Columbus. For all of the replacement coaches this year who squeaked in, there is a double (or more) number who didn't make it, and only one whose team looks any good at all.

I will say this now, I will say it once, I will say it with the strength of (unfortunately only one) bourbon in my belly: changing the coach will change nothing for the better unless and until the roster is changed. And since it is highly doubtful that Ruff will be fired, and somewhat less doubtful that he will resign (I have no idea of his personal circumstances), everyone here had better get used to the idea of getting good players in, bad players out. Because the one constant in the four "final four" appearances in the last fifteen years (and few teams and fewer coaches can boast that) is Ruff. Not the players, and not the ownership that controlled the GM. Just the coach.

I can think of a team with a really high payroll that finished ninth in its conference two years ago. GIANT contracts on the roster. Stars! They had earlier raided the Sabres of one of their captains. But ninth. Out of the playoffs.

Finished eighth the following year, and won a single playoff game--against one of the worst playoff teams in the league.

This team, under its current coach, never has made it out of the first round.

Yet, this team did not fire the coach, even though he is much more controversial than most.

This team is sailing into the playoffs as the top seed in the EC this year.

There is a counterexample for each and every item of ###### that will be spouted over the coming weeks. For every Sutter, there is a Carlyle. For every Hitchcock in Saint Louis, there is another Hitchcock in Filly, and yet another in Columbus. For all of the replacement coaches this year who squeaked in, there is a double (or more) number who didn't make it, and only one whose team looks any good at all.

I will say this now, I will say it once, I will say it with the strength of (unfortunately only one) bourbon in my belly: changing the coach will change nothing for the better unless and until the roster is changed. And since it is highly doubtful that Ruff will be fired, and somewhat less doubtful that he will resign (I have no idea of his personal circumstances), everyone here had better get used to the idea of getting good players in, bad players out. Because the one constant in the four "final four" appearances in the last fifteen years (and few teams and fewer coaches can boast that) is Ruff. Not the players, and not the ownership that controlled the GM. Just the coach.

Do you have a poster of Lindy on the ceiling over your bed?

The point is that having a high payroll takes away one of the biggest excuses Regier apologists have used. High payroll and Regier still can't get the job done. It's time to get someone in that position that will produce positive results not excuses.

Maybe because he has proved he can win a Stanley Cup, unlike Ruff.

Because the one constant in the four "final four" appearances in the last fifteen years (and few teams and fewer coaches can boast that) is Ruff.

This here is the posting equivalent to a loser point.

Is there a single sport where having a high payroll over your competitors isn't a significant advantage?

Is there a single sport where having a high payroll over your competitors isn't a significant advantage?

That's the word to concentrate on "advantage." A high payroll is not a "guarantee" it is an "advantage," or at least it should be if you have a competent GM.

No. There's an excuse for every scenario in Sabreland. We set the bar pretty low and we accept being average so thats basically all we'll ever get. Raise the bar people !

The Bills don't make the playoffs and we want a new coach and GM every year. The Sabres don't make the playoffs and people defend the coach and GM. Something's wrong here. I like Ruff and think Regier is a decent GM but this team has not been successful and changes are needed both on the ice and off of it.

Archived