It's not over.

wonderbread

Just keep filling up that hope bucket. I understand that it's easy to throw in the towel. But as fans we have an obligation to hold on to the last second. Flame away if you feel that will make you a more intelligent poster. I for one am not ready for this to end. Now this may be the scotch talking but tonight is the reason we watch.

Just keep filling up that hope bucket. I understand that it's easy to throw in the towel. But as fans we have an obligation to hold on to the last second. Flame away if you feel that will make you a more intelligent poster. I for one am not ready for this to end. Now this may be the scotch talking but tonight is the reason we watch.

It really is just as simple as that. Why some insist on complicating it any more than it has to be is beyond me.

Scotch or not, great post.

GO SABRES!!!

As I just wrote in the other thread, Sabres magic # is 5 and they control 4. If the Caps win out, the Sabres can still get in via a Cats total collapse and winning out w/ at least 1 W coming prior to the SO.

Heck yeah, man. It's stressful, it's maddening, it's up and down and every which way emotion-wise, but when they pull something like this off, GD is it ever amazing to have suffered though the whole thing to enjoy the finish.

As I just wrote in the other thread, Sabres magic # is 5 and they control 4. If the Caps win out, the Sabres can still get in via a Cats total collapse and winning out w/ at least 1 W coming prior to the SO.

Did tonight qualify as the pre-SO win (vis-a-vis Florida) or do the Sabres need one more?

thats not exactly what you said but WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good man.

Great post man.

Hope is the reason I put on a Perreault Jersey when I went to play street hockey when I was 5 years old. Hope is the last bit of magic you hold onto from childhood, having faith in your team and your heroes. Hope sustains through the tough times and when your team wins the honey tastes even sweeter because of it all.

Great post man.

Hope is the reason I put on a Perreault Jersey when I went to play street hockey when I was 5 years old. Hope is the last bit of magic you hold onto from childhood, having faith in your team and your heroes. Hope sustains through the tough times and when your team wins the honey tastes even sweeter because of it all.

And without it, what the hell is the point?

Did tonight qualify as the pre-SO win (vis-a-vis Florida) or do the Sabres need one more?

I was going off the graphics from MSG and they were showing the Sabres w/ only 31 ROW; according to NHL.com, they've got 32 so tonight would qualify as that pre-SO win.

thats not exactly what you said but WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's boring to always use the same words to state the same thing. Magic # vs Cats = 8 is equivalent to Sabres win out and Cats collapse when there are only 8 points total available between the 2. I do agree with the last part of your sentiment. :beer:

I was going off the graphics from MSG and they were showing the Sabres w/ only 31 ROW; according to NHL.com, they've got 32 so tonight would qualify as that pre-SO win.

It's boring to always use the same words to state the same thing. Magic # vs Cats = 8 is equivalent to Sabres win out and Cats collapse when there are only 8 points total available between the 2. I do agree with the last part of your sentiment. :beer:

You know what's really a pain for this whole magic number thing? Shoot out wins.

i'll drink to that :beer:

At least now the caps must feel a little pressure. Now always need the rangers/panthers to do is win a game in regulation! Thursday is going to be HUGE BUFFALO HUUUUUUUGGGE!!!!!!

Wouldn't it have just been easier to say the Sabres still need help? 082.gif

At least now the caps must feel a little pressure. Now always need the rangers/panthers to do is win a game in regulation! Thursday is going to be HUGE BUFFALO HUUUUUUUGGGE!!!!!!

Panthers haven't ended a game in regulation in 6 of their last 7. I hope that trend doesn't continue.

Panther's last game is against Columbus....

There is no way they fail to pick up a point in their remaining two games

Need I remind you that Columbus just beat Detroit last week 4-2? with an emergency callup no name goalie...

It's hockey, it's unpredictable, and it's why we play every game. Hell, Buffalo isn't guaranteed a point against Columbus, what makes you think Florida will be?

While that would be nice, as it would give the Sabres some breathing room, it isn't necessary. As long as the Caps end up on the short end of the scoreboard in 1 of their 2 remaining games, then the Sabres can get in by winning out.

The absolute minimum the Sabres need to do to get into the playoffs is lose a game in OT/SO - that is if the Caps are nice enough to lose both games in regulation. For every point the Caps pick up, the Sabres need to add another point to that OT point. Caps go 1-0-1, Sabres need to go 2-0-0 to get ahead of them. If the Caps pick up all 4 points, the Sabres can't get ahead of them and have to hope the Cats lost in regulation when the Caps picked up the 2 against them and that the Cats lose their other game in regulation. Then the Sabres get in by winning out due to having the tiebreaker 32 ROW v 31 ROW.

Good post.

I also want to see my favorite team continue to play meaningful hockey because thats what fans do. Thursday is going to be fun to see if this team can do it again and keep the suspense right through Saturday.

It was great to see the team not want their season to end and actually make it happen.

Need I remind you that Columbus just beat Detroit last week 4-2? with an emergency callup no name goalie...

It's hockey, it's unpredictable, and it's why we play every game. Hell, Buffalo isn't guaranteed a point against Columbus, what makes you think Florida will be?

Not to mention Columbus' goalie last 3 games have been shutouts and the most recent he set a new NHL record for most saves in a shutout with 54.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor???!!

Germans?

Forget he's rollin.

I live in Los Angeles so I expect a Disney ending to this regular season. I see it going down pretty much exactly like this:

The Sabres go into Philadelphia and lay a beating on the Flyers. A perfect road game ends up 4-1 Sabres. Meanwhile in Washington, the Panthers clinches the Southeast Division with a Shootout win against the Capitals. And the stage is set for the final game of the season:

Everything comes down to game 82. The Sabres have fought through the darkest of times to still have a shot at the playoffs. Two more points clinches 8th, but on the opposing half... The Bruins. The main antagonist. The bully that beat the Sabres down and almost wrecked their entire season. The Bruins take the ice and are fearsome with their mythical size and their singular evil will.

But wait! These are not the November 12th Sabres. Since then they have gone through the fire and emerged on the other side, one win away from glory. And then the dark horse: The Sabres have a secret weapon. A local kid, born and bred in Buffalo, playing for the team he grew up watching his father play for. A Marcus Foligno. A Buffalo Beast.

Cut to the game. The Sabres are playing with unfathomable intensity. But the Bruins are a mighty foe. The refs are letting everything go, and despite the superior skill and intensity of the Sabres, they repeatedly find themselves knocked to the ice, slashed on the wrists and ankles, driven mercilessly into the boards. Cut to the bench, every face is cut, bloody and bruised. Patrick Kaleta needs a bandage across one eye to keep it from falling out of it's socket. Yet the Sabres are glowing with unbendable will.

Late in the 3rd. The Sabres are running out of time, the Bruins are up 2-1 after super questionable no calls on each goal. As time is winding down, the Sabres dig deep for a last push. The game turns to slow motion as Jason Pominville gets an outlet pass and streaks down the right wing. But a monster appears: Zdeno Chara. The giant lines up Pominville for a bone shattering body check, but no! Still in slow motion Pominville flips the puck in the air, spins around Chara who in his perplexity falls on his enormous rear end. Pominville is in free, takes a tremendous slap shot. Zoom in on top left corner of the net where the puck zips over Thomas' glove and knocks his water bottle into the mesh. Overtime secured!

Overtime is more of the same. A tired Sabres team is getting run left and right by the Bruins, but are battling like no team has ever battled before. Again, time is running down, and with 50 seconds left. Marcus Foligno gets the tap on the shoulder. But disaster!! There are no sticks left! The Bruins have broken them all with their countless uncalled slashed throughout the game. But salvation is near, up to the glass comes Michael Foligno. He hands his son one of his own old wooden sticks. Marcus and his father exchange a brief look that is the very definition of determination, Marcus kisses the blade and jumps over the boards.

Our hero quickly creates a turnover as he demolishes Chara with a huge body check, takes control of the puck and unleashes a thunderous slap shot. The puck hits Milan Lucic in the mouth and sprays a mix of blood and teeth that splatter against the glass behind the goal. The puck then slides towards the open net. But Tim Thomas comes out of nowhere, at the last second gets a glove on the puck and swats it away. The Bruins break on the Sabres, and Brad Marchant taps in the winning goal after a blatant goalie interference against Ryan Miller goes uncalled. The Garden erupts in cheers, the Sabres are eliminated. On the cusp of an unthinkable comeback, they have come up short.

But wait! The call comes in from Toronto, Foligno's shot is under review! We cut to the review center in Toronto where the sequence of the puck trickling towards the goal line is replayed from all possible angles. In every one of them, the puck is obscured by Thomas' glove right at the decisive moment. Everyone knows the play is extremely close, but there is no evidence on the tape that can overturn the ruling on the ice. The lead review referee picks up the phone to convey their findings back to Boston. The season is over for the Sabres. But wait! A scrawny looking nerd with glasses has found something on the video review. It is impossible to see the puck, but after Thomas swats the puck away there is a faint streak of blood left by the path of the puck. Lucic's blood. The video technician zooms in, enhances the image, and determines by the blood evidence that the puck must have crossed the goal line. Foligno have scored the game winner! The Sabres are in the playoff. Glory.

Actually, the Panthers play Carolina on Saturday, not Columbus. And if that game means anything to the Panthers, Carolina would like nothing but to knock them out of the playoffs since they did the same to Carolina in 2008 the last game of the season.

Archived