It's not over.

wonderbread

In my mind, thinking that Ruff is the only coach for this team in perpetuity is completely irrational. :lol:

Until we have evidence that Pegula and Black are not being forthright with fans, then thinking LR will remain as coach at minimum for the next 1-2 seasons is the most rational expectation.

Until we have evidence that Pegula and Black are not being forthright with fans, then thinking LR will remain as coach at minimum for the next 1-2 seasons is the most rational expectation.

the way things have played out the last few years, i don't think that would be a good thing as this organization tries to go forward.

They're coming from Paul. Somehow he's accumulated all this info and opinion but decided himself that now was the time to spew it.

This would be the time to do it. The season just ended.

It'd be nice if this were just one reporter trying to stir up trouble, but I doubt it. The team was dysfunctional all year save for a month-long sprint for the playoffs that fell short.

I think Pegula.....oh, nevermind.

If Pegula said that, he'd have signed him to a lifetime contract. He simply said he "ain't goin nowhere" which I suppose can be interpreted in a few ways, but my reading of it was that he's not firing him sight unseen and he's the coach for the team to kick off the Pegula Era. Obviously Pegula likes Ruff, and I don't expect him to fire him 1 season into his ownership of the team, but I also didn't take that quote to mean he'll never fire him. If the results don't come around, I'd be shocked if Pegula just never fired anybody....the firings may not come as soon as some would like, but I fully believe they will come if the team doesn't start achieving.

If Pegula said that, he'd have signed him to a lifetime contract. He simply said he "ain't goin nowhere" which I suppose can be interpreted in a few ways, but my reading of it was that he's not firing him sight unseen and he's the coach for the team to kick off the Pegula Era. Obviously Pegula likes Ruff, and I don't expect him to fire him 1 season into his ownership of the team, but I also didn't take that quote to mean he'll never fire him. If the results don't come around, I'd be shocked if Pegula just never fired anybody....the firings may not come as soon as some would like, but I fully believe they will come if the team doesn't start achieving.

All of this.

C'mon, guys. didn't the laughy face and the "oh nevermind" tip you guy's off that there was some hyperbole in my perpetuity statement?

Why so serious?

Thank Perreault the NFL Draft is coming up in two weeks to cut throught the sting of another disappointing season... the Bills appear to know what they're doing.

howard@hsimon62 asked Paul abou whether pominville is right captain. said Lindy doesnt want strong captain. doesnt want to be challenged in the room This is opinion. Editorializing about what he's seen/heard. Take it for what it's worth but he does have access to players/staff that we don't.

Howard: Getting back to the culture and the leaders in the room and all that stuff, the core of the team. Should any of the offseason discussions include Pominville as a captain? Do you think that's up for discussion at all?

Paul: Well, if it's the Lindy Ruff that I hear is in the locker room, he doesn't want a strong captain. He doesn't want Drury, Drury might be the last guy in that room who would challenge Lindy Ruff.That's not what he wants out of his captain. That's why you get Stu Barnes, and Pominville and that type of thing, they're not gonna sit there and get in Lindy Ruff's face. Daniel Briere and Chris Drury, yes they will, and they did. That's not what he wants, so no I don't think that will be looked at whatsoever.

http://audio.wgr550....-simon-show.htm

Howard: Getting back to the culture and the leaders in the room and all that stuff, the core of the team. Should any of the offseason discussions include Pominville as a captain? Do you think that's up for discussion at all?

Paul: Well, if it's the Lindy Ruff that I hear is in the locker room, he doesn't want a strong captain. He doesn't want Drury, Drury might be the last guy in that room who would challenge Lindy Ruff.That's not what he wants out of his captain. That's why you get Stu Barnes, and Pominville and that type of thing, they're not gonna sit there and get in Lindy Ruff's face. Daniel Briere and Chris Drury, yes they will, and they did. That's not what he wants, so no I don't think that will be looked at whatsoever.

I don't buy a single word Hamilton says. Everyone else is reporting facts with sources, and he just spouts propaganda.

I don't buy a single word Hamilton says. Everyone else is reporting facts with sources, and he just spouts propaganda.

That doesn't really make any sense. Propaganda from who?

Do you really not think there is any grain of truth to what he said? When you look at the players who have stayed and the ones who have left, the facts kinda back Paul up.

That doesn't really make any sense. Propaganda from who?

Do you really not think there is any grain of truth to what he said? When you look at the players who have stayed and the ones who have left, the facts kinda back Paul up.

All I'm saying is that other reporters are backing their claims up with names. Paul's stuff comes from the ether. Never attributed to anyone, but always known to him.

I would like Hamilton to report something honest for once. He might as well be getting his information from God.

All I'm saying is that other reporters are backing their claims up with names. Paul's stuff comes from the ether. Never attributed to anyone, but always known to him.

I would like Hamilton to report something honest for once. He might as well be getting his information from God.

He did specifically quote Mike Grier this morning in regards to Lindy's demeanor having changed from Grier's 1st stint with the team after Ruff coached in the Olympics: showing positive game tape to go along with the negative, praising players more often, and being less abrasive in general--- I think with lockerroom gripes he doesn't want to quote current players if they haven't come out publicly.

Having said that, I do question Paul Hamilton's perspective and whether or not he confuses fact with opinion, as some here have suggested.

The NY Giants' players nearly staged a public mutiny, twice, with Tom Coughlin. A constantly grating and disciplined coach is hard to take when things aren't going well. We're not hearing these things if the Sabres are preparing for Game 1 at MSG on Wednesday right now.

This isn't the first time that Paul has "reported" this opinion. IIRC, the same sentiment was being reported earlier this year (I don't have the patience to look it up). I will not believe it until there is some fact/a source behind what he is saying.

Either way...who is a strong leader in that room that would stand up to Ruff?! Roy? he pusses out and complains to the media about being called out in the media...real mature captain material there. My point is, I think it's a non-issue, because there is no one in the room that's going to do it anyways.

and Punch is absolutely correct in his last statement.

This isn't the first time that Paul has "reported" this opinion. IIRC, the same sentiment was being reported earlier this year (I don't have the patience to look it up). I will not believe it until there is some fact/a source behind what he is saying.

Either way...who is a strong leader in that room that would stand up to Ruff?! Roy? he pusses out and complains to the media about being called out in the media...real mature captain material there. My point is, I think it's a non-issue, because there is no one in the room that's going to do it anyways.

and Punch is absolutely correct in his last statement.

Even if Ruff truly is some despotic tyrant who rules over his locker room with an iron fist (yeah, sure), it's still up to the players to act like they want to be there. There's some good young kids on this team who seem to genuinely want to play and win, Ennis, Gerbe and Foligno come to mind. And then there's guys like Roy, who want to make excuses. Or Stafford who only seems to show up when others are there to hold his hand.

Even if Ruff truly is some despotic tyrant who rules over his locker room with an iron fist (yeah, sure), it's still up to the players to act like they want to be there. There's some good young kids on this team who seem to genuinely want to play and win, Ennis, Gerbe and Foligno come to mind. And then there's guys like Roy, who want to make excuses. Or Stafford who only seems to show up when others are there to hold his hand.

With this, I agree.

I think people misunderstand the role of captain. Whether or not someone is captain, afterall it is just a title, if someone is in that lockeroom, who should be captain and will call Ruff out, then they will call Ruff out. No one suddenly goes from grumbling under their breathe to commanding the forces just because a letter is sown on their jersey

The commitment to keeping Lindy and Darcy is meaningless. If Black, after a full year with the team, thinks they should go, *and* has replacements in mind, it would be a simple matter of paying out their contracts and asking for their resignations. If they wanted to pay lip service to the commitment, offer them "special assignment" positions- Special Scouting Consultant, Hockey Strategy Analyst, that sort of thing. Give them the option to stay with the organization, or take the payout, and let them make their choice.

I think people misunderstand the role of captain. Whether or not someone is captain, afterall it is just a title, if someone is in that lockeroom, who should be captain and will call Ruff out, then they will call Ruff out. No one suddenly goes from grumbling under their breathe to commanding the forces just because a letter is sown on their jersey

This is an interesting point--- ultimately the role of Captain serves as an intermediary between players and coaching staff/media/officials/etc. The Head Coach and Captain do need to see eye to eye to a point, although leadership groups with dissenting opinions and voices are typically more successful. It is important to reiterate that this notion of Ruff not liking strong Captains is purely sourced by Paul Hamilton's opinion. Ruff is the guy, after all, that chose both Drury and Briere as Alternating Captains, correct? If Ruff clashed with them it doesn't necessarily mean he regretted their Captaincy--- although perhaps he did and that's a factor in why they're both gone.

A lot to ponder. I wish there was more to discuss today than lockerroom dysfunction.

This is an interesting point--- ultimately the role of Captain serves as an intermediary between players and coaching staff/media/officials/etc. The Head Coach and Captain do need to see eye to eye to a point, although leadership groups with dissenting opinions and voices are typically more successful. It is important to reiterate that this notion of Ruff not liking strong Captains is purely sourced by Paul Hamilton's opinion. Ruff is the guy, after all, that chose both Drury and Briere as Alternating Captains, correct? If Ruff clashed with them it doesn't necessarily mean he regretted their Captaincy--- although perhaps he did and that's a factor in why they're both gone.

A lot to ponder. I wish there was more to discuss today than lockerroom dysfunction.

Well, NHL Central Scouting released their final rankings for the draft: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=626755

That's so easy to say when it's not you. A crappy boss can get a poor performance and attitude from even the best workers. That's how it goes in real life and I don't see why the NHL would be all that different. Telling people to just work around their horrible boss isn't really a solution.

That's so easy to say when it's not you. A crappy boss can get a poor performance and attitude from even the best workers. That's how it goes in real life and I don't see why the NHL would be all that different. Telling people to just work around their horrible boss isn't really a solution.

Of course this implies that we know for sure Ruff is a horrible boss. The only evidence we have is Paul Hamilton's opinion and the words of notorious whiner misfit Derek Roy. Not very convincing.

To risk oversimplifying things, I think there's 3 kinds of people: those who work their tail off no matter what, those who are capable of working their tail off but it varies based on work environment, and those who simply don't like working hard and do as little of it as possible. In any job in any field there's probably going to be some mix of all three types, but I don't think anybody would argue that you want to get as many of type #1 as possible, type #2 are OK but you don't want a place of employment littered with them, and type #3 you don't want any of. So yes, of course the coach is going to matter at some point....but when players start quitting or not giving it their all, it still reflects as much on them as it does the coach. That's my general take, anyway.

Of course this implies that we know for sure Ruff is a horrible boss. The only evidence we have is Paul Hamilton's opinion and the words of notorious whiner misfit Derek Roy. Not very convincing.

And this too. There's a lot of unknowns in the equation.

Archived