It's not over.

wonderbread

Haven't had a chance to listen to the Audio Vault yet, just following comments from twitter--- Bill Hoppe just tweeted this:

Bill Hoppe@BillHoppeNHL

#Sabres Derek Roy basically said he doesn't like the public criticism from Lindy. #Buffalo

Yea i saw this as well. So what? Players get called out by every coach in the league. If one doesnt like Lindy, this is not a strong point to support your view.

after hearing paul say numerous players are saying they have had enough of ruff's berating behind closed doors and in the media and such, and how it seems ruff wants a quiet yes man as captin. it's time for lindy to go. i have had micromanaging control freaks as managers and it just doesn't work. they are not managers anymore because of how they are. i can't imagine managing 20+ professionals is a whole lot different when you really break it down to the nuts and bolts of the job.

if that's true and that's his style, i'm utterly shocked he has been able to last as long as he has.

Well if Paul said it we can take it to the bank :angel:

When Paul is reporting I believe he reports truthfully to the best of his abilities. when he is editorializing, well editorials are opinions. Maybe well informed opinions, but opinions nonetheless. This is what I get out of those tweets.

howard@hsimon62

on with @pham1717 who said he's hearing rumblings from players they are tired of Lindy/constant berating.

Reporting. Seems to me that there are players speaking anonymously to him. I don't believe that Hammy would make this up. What would the point be?

howard@hsimon62

asked Paul abou whether pominville is right captain. said Lindy doesnt want strong captain. doesnt want to be challenged in the room

This is opinion. Editorializing about what he's seen/heard. Take it for what it's worth but he does have access to players/staff that we don't.

howard@hsimon62

paul said maybe vanek's 2nd half slump was due to his relationship with Lindy souring. Paul said he doesnt think darcy/lindy will be fired

And this is pure opinion, hence the maybe's and the "doesn't think". He's specualting here, not reporting. And I don't think he is trying to pass it off as reporting.

Yea i saw this as well. So what? Players get called out by every coach in the league. If one doesnt like Lindy, this is not a strong point to support your view.

What the heck is my view?? Have I even posted an opinion? I'm just posting Twitter comments from the cleanout as they become available.

Personally, I think Paul Hamilton is slightly agenda driven with these and other comments he's made over the years. His lockerroom interviews often lead the interviewee with his questions, so it wouldn't be a surprise if some of what he's heard falls into that category.

An example with his Bills coverage was stubbornly insisting to this day that he couldn't understand why Chan Gailey thought Marshawn Lynch was his best RB--- meanwhile it was obvious to all observers that they were evaluating the roster and showcasing Lynch for a trade.

Hamilton can be a meathead, but generally, where there's smoke there's fire, which is why I thought it might be an interesting discussion.

after hearing paul say numerous players are saying they have had enough of ruff's berating behind closed doors and in the media and such, and how it seems ruff wants a quiet yes man as captin. it's time for lindy to go. i have had micromanaging control freaks as managers and it just doesn't work. they are not managers anymore because of how they are. i can't imagine managing 20+ professionals is a whole lot different when you really break it down to the nuts and bolts of the job.

if that's true and that's his style, i'm utterly shocked he has been able to last as long as he has.

Another interesting point Hamilton made was from Mike Grier (yes, he actually named a player this time) said how different Ruff was from his first stint with the Sabres to his last stint. Apparently Ruff took a lot out of the Olympics and the coaches he worked with, about how to treat players. In Grier's second stint, he said Lindy had a lot more positive energy and would show good tape along with bad tape to players, would let players work on their own more....he changed. Hamilton then proceeded to say that Ruff has reverted to how he was before the Olympics. I guess my question would be, did this reversion to old form start on its own, or was it triggered with the team's lackluster play?

So many current threads are dominated by discussion of firing Ruff I wasn't sure where to post this, but Paul Hamilton had this to say on WGR just now:

howard@hsimon62

asked Paul abou whether pominville is right captain. said Lindy doesnt want strong captain. doesnt want to be challenged in the room

A local sports reporter (who shall remain nameless) told me that Lindy resented Drury retaining some measure of power in the room (Drury and Lindy apparently didn't get along too well). Hence, Lindy specifically chose Pommer as captain because he knew he'd be weak. Lindy will not allow a powerful captain anymore, supposedly. So I heard exactly what Simon did...

Another interesting point Hamilton made was from Mike Grier (yes, he actually named a player this time) said how different Ruff was from his first stint with the Sabres to his last stint. Apparently Ruff took a lot out of the Olympics and the coaches he worked with, about how to treat players. In Grier's second stint, he said Lindy had a lot more positive energy and would show good tape along with bad tape to players, would let players work on their own more....he changed. Hamilton then proceeded to say that Ruff has reverted to how he was before the Olympics. I guess my question would be, did this reversion to old form start on its own, or was it triggered with the team's lackluster play?

A local sports reporter (who shall remain nameless) told me that Lindy resented Drury retaining some measure of power in the room (Drury and Lindy apparently didn't get along too well). Hence, Lindy specifically chose Pommer as captain because he knew he'd be weak. Lindy will not allow a powerful captain anymore, supposedly. So I heard exactly what Simon did...

Oy.

My apologies, meant it as a general statement. Certainly not directed at you.

What the heck is my view?? Have I even posted an opinion? I'm just posting Twitter comments from the cleanout as they become available.

Personally, I think Paul Hamilton is slightly agenda driven with these and other comments he's made over the years. His lockerroom interviews often lead the interviewee with his questions, so it wouldn't be a surprise if some of what he's heard falls into that category.

An example with his Bills coverage was stubbornly insisting to this day that he couldn't understand why Chan Gailey thought Marshawn Lynch was his best RB--- meanwhile it was obvious to all observers that they were evaluating the roster and showcasing Lynch for a trade.

Hamilton can be a meathead, but generally, where there's smoke there's fire, which is why I thought it might be an interesting discussion.

My apologies, meant it as a general statement. Certainly not directed at you.

Regardless of whether it's reporting verbatim quotes or speculating based on what they have been told "off the record", this information is out there now and it seems like the Sabres brass will have their hands full this off-season.

The players are dumping the season on Ruff - these player comments are the equivalent of admitting the players had basically quit on the coach for half the season, if not more.

Ownership now has to make a choice: get rid of the players who don't like the coach, get rid of the coach who the players don't like, or try and repair the rift.

BTW - it wouldn't surprise me if my source is the same as Simon's... probably is... this gentleman covers both the Bills and Sabres.

Regardless of whether it's reporting verbatim quotes or speculating based on what they have been told "off the record", this information is out there now and it seems like the Sabres brass will have their hands full this off-season.

The players are dumping the season on Ruff - these player comments are the equivalent of admitting the players had basically quit on the coach for half the season, if not more.

Ownership now has to make a choice: get rid of the players who don't like the coach, get rid of the coach who the players don't like, or try and repair the rift.

This does put pressure on mgt. But I think its hard to say the team quit when they staged a futile end season run to make the playoffs. If the team hates the coach why that run?

This does put pressure on mgt. But I think its hard to say the team quit when they staged a futile end season run to make the playoffs. If the team hates the coach why that run?

The players could have easily decided to play for themselves despite the coach.

Winning is fun, playing well is fun.

I should imagine that a team could hit a groove and keep it going for a while even if they shouldn't be too fond of their coach, simply because it's a nice place to be in?

I think this all strongly supports my claim that Roy is an immature puss-bag.

No argument there.

I should imagine that a team could hit a groove and keep it going for a while even if they shouldn't be too fond of their coach, simply because it's a nice place to be in?

No argument there.

Why not win all season? Teams do quit on their coach, and while many players may hate lindy and his style I didnt see a team that had quit.

As for the comments form players, it seems Roy is a likely source of some of the info. I have heard he hasnt been happy here for a while, and his public comments today sound like a guy going into a contract year who doesnt want to be here anymore.

Absolutely. I can't imagine anyone who would willfully subject themselves to months of misery when they don't have to, or want to. Except Sabres fans, of course. The players may have very well decided that the situation was too dark and that they would wait for the off-season to deal with it, whether they made the playoffs or not. It's telling that these comments are coming from the players the day of locker clean-out.

Why not win all season? Teams do quit on their coach, and while many players may hate lindy and his style I didnt see a team that had quit.

You did follow the Buffalo Sabres this season, right? You're not mistaking them for a team like, oh, Ottawa?

Absolutely. I can't imagine anyone who would willfully subject themselves to months of misery when they don't have to, or want to. Except Sabres fans, of course. The players may have very well decided that the situation was too dark and that they would wait for the off-season to deal with it, whether they made the playoffs or not. It's telling that these comments are coming from the players the day of locker clean-out.

They're coming from Paul. Somehow he's accumulated all this info and opinion but decided himself that now was the time to spew it.

Roy is calling out Lindy today. Is that like asking for a trade? hmmmm.

You did follow the Buffalo Sabres this season, right? You're not mistaking them for a team like, oh, Ottawa?

Funny. I did. Explain how a record setting late season push to the playoffs demonstrates a team quitting? Because they decided to have fun anyway but didnt want to have fun and win earlier in the season?

They're coming from Paul. Somehow he's accumulated all this info and opinion but decided himself that now was the time to spew it.

I'll guess we'll see how this plays out. Frankly, this is too bold of a thing to do for it to be the machinations of Paul Hamilton, especially when other reporters are Tweeting similar comments today.

Either the reporters have decided together to cause problems for the team, or the players have fed the reporters the information. Or, there's a door number 3 we're not aware of yet.

I'll guess we'll see how this plays out. Frankly, this is too bold of a thing to do for it to be the machinations of Paul Hamilton, especially when other reporters are Tweeting similar comments today.

Either the reporters have decided together to cause problems for the team, or the players have fed the reporters the information. Or, there's a door number 3 we're not aware of yet.

Either way, I hope the problem is remedied, whether its Ruff Roy or anyone else. Losing always brings the warts to the surface.

Anyone care to guess what the specific question is that Vanek is responding to here? It isn't included in the Twitter feed:

Buffalo Sabres@BuffaloSabres

"I don't look for any leeway. Never have, never will." -- Thomas Vanek

Funny. I did. Explain how a record setting late season push to the playoffs demonstrates a team quitting? Because they decided to have fun anyway but didnt want to have fun and win earlier in the season?

The team could have PLAYED FOR THEMSELVES, despite the coach. I just explained this above. Their record after the Lucic hit, and all of the internal disarray afterwards, combined with the grumblings from the players coming out now, certainly seem to indicate a roster that is not happy with their coach. As if the body language, actions, and comments of the players during that period did not already indicate something was wrong. We talked about this at the time. A lot of people poo-poo'd it. I do not.

Roy is calling out Lindy today. Is that like asking for a trade? hmmmm.

Paul is just implying things. At least Hoppe is giving us direct quotes from sources.

Roy can pack his bags yesterday for all I care. We all know what kind of player he is, and this team won't miss him.

Anyone care to guess what the specific question is that Vanek is responding to here? It isn't included in the Twitter feed:

Buffalo Sabres@BuffaloSabres

"I don't look for any leeway. Never have, never will." -- Thomas Vanek

Probably something to do with not meeting expectations this season.

Sorry, but telling people what they can and cannot talk about is just not for you to decide.

As somone else said, I'm just as tired of people defending management as you are of peope who want to get rid of them. But this is a discussion forum, hence we discuss.

The door swings both ways if we want to debate. The reason the point has been beaten to death, is that nothing has changed besides ownership.

Management, the on-ice product and results are close to identical, hence the discussions remains equally the same.

We have different opinions, and we all voice them.

You might as well deal with it.

Have fun blowing wind then I suppose. It's no longer a discussion.

Agree 100%!

Just because Regier and Ruff are not going anywhere doesn't mean they shouldn't and that it shouldn't be discussed.

It's not "emotional", it's based on his 14 seasons as Sabres head coach. 4 playoff seasons in 10 years is inexcusable.

Which is rational, but also emotional. You wouldn't get so bent out of shape about it if it wasn't emotional.

This is exactly the point I was trying to make. Yet, this is what people have been saying to anyone posting that they want Ruff gone.

I don't think anyone here is calling the argument for firing Lindy irrational. Many here, especially GoDD, have expressed a rational argument for the matter. I simply disagree with your assessment of Eleven's argument as irrational.

I don't think anyone here is calling the argument for firing Lindy irrational. Many here, especially GoDD, have expressed a rational argument for the matter. I simply disagree with your assessment of Eleven's argument as irrational.

In my mind, thinking that Ruff is the only coach for this team in perpetuity is completely irrational. :lol:

Archived