GDT: Buffalo at Washington (3/27/2012, 7:00 pm)

Doohickie

Crap. :(

It's worse.

Lindy: Thought about using McC as a 5th D-man, and then re-thought it. And was glad Sekera came back.

EDIT: Those posts are separate thoughts and were combined by the SS software; as for Ehrhoff, I put Lindy's comments in the injury thread.

Reading the enemy board was funny. It's weird to see Buffalo referred to as the team that "outclassed (us)", or the praise for Miller, or how "obvious" it is which team is on the rise out of the ones at the bottom.

Best I've seen of the Sabres in a long time. I feel a ton of pride right now. The way this team played during November, December and January. To see how far they've come is unreal. CoHo and Foligno look like the real deal. The 'core' really showed up. Loved Vanek's and Pommer's game. Even loved Roy and Stafford. Great game all around, have a :beer: for the boys tonight.....

Stafford has been playing very well w/ Ennis. Keeping him (and Vanek) away from Roy is a good thing.

I have to admit, Roy played well tonight. And as mentioned in other threads, Leino and Pominville appear to be immune to being Royed, so keep that line together.

Really, the Sabres had every excuse to get beat in the 3rd period. Down three with injuries, in a hostile arena, it was inevitable that they would wear down. Instead, 2 of the 3 came back to play, and for most of the 3rd period, the Caps looked like they were on the second half of two games in two nights. So, so, so, satisfying to see this when I expected the Sabres to perhaps barely hang on. They handled the pressure the Caps threw at them as if it were practice. Total calm in the eye of the hurricane.

I really think the Sabres have it in them to run the table. If they do, who wants to play them coming into the playoffs on a 10-game streak with wins against the conference's best? I just hope I'm not overestimating them at this point.

Just win, baby.

(Hey, that's how I started this thread! Maybe I'm the good luck GDT starter!)

I haven't read thru the thread as its all a lil blurry ;) but we dominated tonight. Who woulda thought in such a pressure filled game that we would come on like this. SEF line on fire, van on board. If we make it into the playoffs, teams best beware of the sabres warpath!!!

Now in all reality, there is still 5 games left and we are one loss away from being back in 9th, tough teams coming and I think toronto would love to play spoiler, we can't have a letdown. But for tonight let us celebrate the froth of victory and await our next opponent with baited breath

And can anyone give credit to Darcy? The guy is one that does not like to give up players he went after, but he decided to give up Kassian for Hodgson. Coho is really beginning to shine, and I am no longer having any type of thought of what the Sabres may have lost w/ Kassian. Vancouver fans have to be scratching their heads. Coho is legit and an immediate improvement to the Sabres.

Don't be silly. Anything good that Darcy does is strictly accidental. At least that's what I've read here.

PTR

"I guess we're better late than never..." Miller, when asked/told that this is the second season in a row that the Sabres have clawed back from being almost hopelessly behind, and that it's not normal.

This is their biggest test since game 7 vs. Philly. I think this game can fairly be seen as a crossroads -- if they lose, they're probably out of the playoffs, and a significant revamp in the offseason becomes much more likely. If they win, the playoffs are more likely than not to occur, which gives them a shot at winning a round, and that will affect the way they approach the offseason.

Have they turned a corner? Are we going to see a focused, determined effort that includes sharp goaltending, tenacious D AND timely scoring? Or will it be same-old, same-old?

That's why they play the games, innit?

Go Sabres.

Pretty good showing by the core, eh?

The most significant aspect of this game was that the Sabres did not fall apart during that second period. They kept calm and made it to the locker room. And then they were even MORE calm in the third. That is such a huge change from months ago that's it difficult to believe this is the same group of people making up the team.

I couldn't watch the game but I was watching the ticker. I admit that I got a bit worried when they had a really good start to the dame. They really surprised me there.

In fact, I'll be rooting for Boston on Thursday against the Caps.

It's your perfect Murphy's Law scenario that I brought up the other day: never rely on a team you hate to do you any favors (or something to that effect).

Some day soon there's going to be a highlight reel for the Buffalo Sabres 2011-2012 season, and some of these Foligno-Ennis-Stafford goal celebrations are going to be a big part of it. I don't know what the Stafford-haters here are going to offer to that, but it could potentially be amusing.

Watching the game tonight, this line just brought a big-ass smile to my face, and no words needed to be said.

Archived