GDT: Buffalo at Washington (3/27/2012, 7:00 pm)

Doohickie

I hope you and Caps fans are right but I've been watching some Caps games over the previous couple of weeks and they were going pretty well before the game last night. I wouldn't be surprised if they finish something in order of 4-1. It would be huge if Boston can beat them Thursday and we beat Pitt the next night. Going into a home and home with the leafs up by four points would make me feel a little easier.

I think you have to expect the Caps to go 4-1 down the stretch, but last night's performance and their collapse against the Jets (both in the VC, btw) have me hoping that 2-2-1 is most realistic.

Regardless, 4-0-1 puts the Sabres in, and 3-1-1 gives them a great chance. Anything less than that, and they'll have no one to blame but themselves.

I think you have to expect the Caps to go 4-1 down the stretch, but last night's performance and their collapse against the Jets (both in the VC, btw) have me hoping that 2-2-1 is most realistic.

Regardless, 4-0-1 puts the Sabres in, and 3-1-1 gives them a great chance. Anything less than that, and they'll have no one to blame but themselves.

They wanted to control their destiny, now they do. You are exactly correct.

I trolled the Caps forum yesterday, even starting their GDT at lunchtime. (Lunchtime? They didn't have a GDT before then?!?) Reading through their fan forum, I tell ya, they sound JUST LIKE this forum did back in the dark days before the All-Star break. I kind of feel bad for them. The way we beat up Stafford is the way they beat up Ovi. Sad state of affairs in DCland.

Does the following sound familiar?

my brother and I were talking about it when the caps were down 5-1. These guys don't get mad when they are getting their jackwagon kicked. They just play like a puppy that just got slapped. The only one that showed that he was pissed was brower. man, whenever any of my teams were getting blown out I would get at least one roughing/personal foul. These guys are just going to go home and cry in their pillow.

Hate to say it, but their mood exactly matched that of the coach. Does anybody get mad on this team??????

Which is why I said in the "Fire GMGM" thread that there is no one man fix. This team is missing too much to fix by firing one guy. I don't care who the GM is the team won't be better by GM alone.

We need a TooToo or a Roy or three. We need some players that will stand up and not get pushed around. After the third goal some mits should have hit the ice. More like the second goal. They got pushed around and whipped and noone did a thing but bend over and spread their cheeks.

Unreal. Who is a leader? Who is embarrassed by the teams play? Who gives a damn?

I think no one.

No heart, no balls. Without a team heart there is no rhythm. Without a huge set of team balls the team can't succeed when the heart is wounded. That is what TooToo, Roy, Bergenhiem, (back in the day a Mike Peka) bring to a team. If the teams they play(ed) on got beat one night, they made sure whoever it was they were playing got "I have a potty mouth"ed any time they even thought about touching the puck. Brouwer is about it with this team. The rest mail it in when things get tough. Its getting embarrassing trying to cover for these guys with my other hockey friends.

Most of them are scared to get in front of the net. This is not a team anyone should be afraid of playing. They can't stand up to the pressure. They were outcoached and outclassed last night. So what else is new? Hunter needs to go. He doesn't need the job, and it is obvious in his demeanor and his so-called coaching system.

Bringing in a new GM would bring a new perspective and hopefully some additional hockey people under him that would make the management of the team better. That would set in motion other changes such as coach, players, etc. that hopefully would make the team better. The focus should be on the GM.

If this represents the state of the team, the Caps are the least of our worries.

Miller is 11-0-3 in his last 14 games facing 40+ shots. Not exactly relevant to your Miller-getting-tired point, but I thought that was an interesting statistic and I'd point it out.

The shot total is misleading, not many of those shots were quality chances. Sabres with less shots had far better scoring chances. Miller got to see just about every shot except for the one that Semin scored on.

The few decent chances they did have Miller snuffed out. They can give up all the shots they want from less than stellar angles if Miller can see them. He's been good at controlling rebounds on these.

I can't figure out who the hell they were talking about.

I was scratching my head trying to figure out if they were actually talking about Derek Roy there.

It's gotta be Derek. There's no other Roys in the league right now.

I didn't realize he was so...impressive. :o

I trolled the Caps forum yesterday, even starting their GDT at lunchtime. (Lunchtime? They didn't have a GDT before then?!?) Reading through their fan forum, I tell ya, they sound JUST LIKE this forum did back in the dark days before the All-Star break. I kind of feel bad for them. The way we beat up Stafford is the way they beat up Ovi. Sad state of affairs in DCland. Does the following sound familiar? If this represents the state of the team, the Caps are the least of our worries.

Hunter hates toughness.

Nice job, Doohickie (and Utah, too). I followed your exploits yesterday and found them really amusing.

They're talking about a player who is tough and stands up under pressure. If this is the league wide rep for Roy, maybe Roy and the two first rounders for Stamkos isn't such a crazy idea..?!?

Yeah, they were talking about him as if he was a gritty player that don't take no chit. If your baseline for gritty play is Derek Roy then your team has lowered your expectations considerably.

Granted, Roy did play a good game with plenty of hustle last night.

And now the hosts are pissed about the pro-Buffalo crowd at the game, with the usual "there's nothing to do in Buffalo; they're looking for any excuse to get out of town" nonsense.

Dipshits, those people live there, not here. It was always a pro-Buffalo crowd at MCI Center during the 7 years I spent there.

I can't say I blame them. How does a GM with a marquis player like Ovechkin not find a way to build a team around him. The Caps are still just a bunch of guys and Ovi. Either no one wants to play with number 8 or McPhee is just an idiot.

Maybe Don Waddell could lend some insight into that question.

I can't say I blame them. How does a GM with a marquis player like Ovechkin not find a way to build a team around him. The Caps are still just a bunch of guys and Ovi. Either no one wants to play with number 8 or McPhee is just an idiot.

When you collect a bunch of players who can't/won't play defense and have perpetually mediocre goaltending, you're not going to win regardless of how much you score. And now that their scoring isn't what it used to be, they can't even be great in the regular season like in years past. As Sabres fans I'm sure we can agree that relying on mental cupcakes is a bad thing, and for all of their talent, Green and Semin are mental cupcakes. Even Ovechkin is part of the problem. Whether this is because of chemistry issues, lethargy, him losing a step, or the league simply adapting to his game....he is not the Ovechkin of years past. I would argue that the GM DID try to build the team around Ovechkin, which resulted in the high-flying offensively-explosive, but ultimately playoff failures, of the last few years. And now they simply don't have the horses to play a more defensively responsible system, and can't get some of their key guys to completely buy into it.

And now the hosts are pissed about the pro-Buffalo crowd at the game, with the usual "there's nothing to do in Buffalo; they're looking for any excuse to get out of town" nonsense. Dipshits, those people live there, not here. It was always a pro-Buffalo crowd at MCI Center during the 7 years I spent there.

I actually agreed with them on the forum when they said there's nothing to do in Buffalo. I moved to Fort Worth for a job myself. The economic base in Buffalo has been shrinking relative to the rest of the country for a while now. Sucks, but it is what it is.

"We took their will away."

--Jason Pominville. http://sports.yahoo....BHRlc3QD;_ylv=3

When is the last time a Sabre said something so dominant? Awesome.

Confidence, this team is overflowing with it right now. You can see it on their faces and how they react to so many plays. Watch as Miller gloves pucks so nonchalantly (if it wasn't before, it's a word now). It's so obvious.

I actually agreed with them on the forum when they said there's nothing to do in Buffalo. I moved to Fort Worth for a job myself. The economic base in Buffalo has been shrinking relative to the rest of the country for a while now. Sucks, but it is what it is.

I think the radio guys meant nothing to do in terms of entertaining one's self, and as much of pride-in-Buffalo guy as I am, I definitely know that there is more to do in DC than here. (There's also more free time here than there.)

As for the job part of it, well, I moved here from DC for one, so the traffic goes both ways. (But admittedly, more in the other direction.)

Archived