Will Gerbe be pushed out of the lineup?

Marvelo

Lines last game sorted by ice time:

Leino-Roy-Pommers

Foligno-Ennis-Stafford

Tropp-Hodgson-Vanek

Boyes-McCormick-Turnbull

IMO You don't change those first three lines.

Turnbull goes back to Rachacha.

McCormick sits.

Gerbe-Boyes-Kaleta.

And using up one of the final four call-ups to make Foligno a non-emergency call-up.

I think they'll bring one of the two injured players back, while also finding a way to keep the emergency label on Foligno for one more day. They may as well play every card they have to keep all 4 of the recalls in tact.

I honestly don't see why contracts should matter at all when building lines. Of course money comes into the offseason construction of the roster, but once it's constructed, those contracts are sunk costs and should really be irrelevant. The goal should be to build the best 4 lines you can. Also I think the idea of numbering lines is almost equally as irrelevant for Ruff as his top 3 lines tend to get similar even strength ice time--the fluctuations are largely due to special teams.

Personally I like Leino-Roy-Pominville together because they are our best 3 defensive forwards, but they also have enough offensive ability to get offensive zone time and score some goals. I wouldn't touch any of the top 3 lines, so for me that leaves Gerbe on the 4th. Gerbe-McCormick/Boyes-Kaleta works fine for me. It can be adjusted based on opponent come playoff time if needed.

A Gerbe-Boyes-Kaleta line could be interesting. There is actually some potential to score there as well. If you do that then do you put Weber in the lineup to add some additional "punch" if needed?

A Gerbe-Boyes-Kaleta line could be interesting. There is actually some potential to score there as well. If you do that then do you put Weber in the lineup to add some additional "punch" if needed?

With Ehrhoff and Sulzer playing so well together (and taking 1/3 of the ice time) and things going right, I don't see Lindy changing it up. He's too superstitious.

And with that as the 4th line, the re-make of the '07 team, if not in talent at least in spirit, will be complete.

No way do I keep Tropp in over Gerbe............No way, but rather Boyes cause he doesn't belong on a 4th line and can't seem to produce.

foligno-ennis-stafford

Vanek-hodgson-Pommers

Leino-Roy-Gerbe

Kaleta-McCormick-Tropp

Not going to argue and say your wrong

BUT

I don't see them taking Boyes out of the lineup, he's being paid too much to sit in the press box, even though he would more then likely have just as much of an impact there as he would if he was on the ice.

As for Gerbe, get rid of him, theres no room on this team for guys who try hard and give full effort every time his feet step on the ice. He is small, therefore he can never be a full time NHLer, we need more big bodied floaters who occasionally tip one in and might intimidate other players

Yeah, after taking a little time to reflect on it, I think you and chz have it right. Gerbe and Kaleta on that fourth line with Boyes has the potential to give teams fits. We could really "roll four" much more effectively and we've been doing a pretty decent job of that lately as it is. My only concern would be fitness level but it's not like they'd be getting the lion's share of ice time anyway.

Gerbe and Kaleta for Cody Mac and Turnbull it is then. All the other lines stay the same.

GO SABRES!!!

Yeah, after taking a little time to reflect on it, I think you and chz have it right. Gerbe and Kaleta on that fourth line with Boyes has the potential to give teams fits. We could really "roll four" much more effectively and we've been doing a pretty decent job of that lately as it is. My only concern would be fitness level but it's not like they'd be getting the lion's share of ice time anyway.

Gerbe and Kaleta for Cody Mac and Turnbull it is then. All the other lines stay the same.

GO SABRES!!!

Few, good thing you decided that now, the organisation must be happy to have someone like you making the decisions for them, LOL

Few, good thing you decided that now, the organisation must be happy to have someone like you making the decisions for them, LOL

When Lindy and I last spoke this afternoon, he was happy with my input. I wouldn't say I made the decision for him so much as we both agreed on the best course of action for the team.

Glad you got a nice chuckle out of it though. But being so easily amused can have it's drawbacks. As I'm sure you're readily aware.

GO SABRES!!!

No way do I keep Tropp in over Gerbe............No way, but rather Boyes cause he doesn't belong on a 4th line and can't seem to produce.

foligno-ennis-stafford

Vanek-hodgson-Pommers

Leino-Roy-Gerbe

Kaleta-McCormick-Tropp

This ... you guys are nuts!

Kaleta > Gerbe?

Tropp > Gerbe?

Turnbull > Gerbe?

Alright I can't even take you guys seriously saying this crap. it's obvious that some people just have a hard-on for "Size". Either that or a severe case of "What have you done for me lately?" mentality.

When Lindy and I last spoke this afternoon, he was happy with my input. I wouldn't say I made the decision for him so much as we both agreed on the best course of action for the team.

Glad you got a nice chuckle out of it though. But being so easily amused can have it's drawbacks. As I'm sure you're readily aware.

GO SABRES!!!

It does suck being amused so easily, you can never get anything done cause its so hard to focus.

Do you have any input/persuasion with Darcy?

This ... you guys are nuts!

Kaleta > Gerbe?

Tropp > Gerbe?

Turnbull > Gerbe?

Alright I can't even take you guys seriously saying this crap. it's obvious that some people just have a hard-on for "Size". Either that or a severe case of "What have you done for me lately?" mentality.

You really might want to stay away from mentioning having a hard on for anything when you based your username on a specific player. Nevermind if you're trying to point out bias in other people's posts by stringing together a gem like this one. You want to make an argument, fine, but basing it on "you guys are nuts" gets you nowhere.

You really might want to stay away from mentioning having a hard on for anything when you based your username on a specific player. Nevermind if you're trying to point out bias in other people's posts by stringing together a gem like this one. You want to make an argument, fine, but basing it on "you guys are nuts" gets you nowhere.

Please provide your argument as to why Tropp/Kaleta/Turnbull are more valuable to have on the ice than Gerbe. My argument was already presented in an earlier post in this very thread. Tropp is getting a golden opportunity to play opposite one of the team's best scorers (in a slump perhaps, but still) and centered by another top prospect in Hodgson. Kaleta has been invisible all season aside from being penalized for breathing. Turnbull has made no case to stay up in the NHL aside from a bit of hustle and a freakishly lucky goal.

Gerbe has shown that he knows when to turn up the intensity. Are you forgetting that he was one of the best looking forwards in our short playoff run last year? Also, several games this season I recall posters on this forum saying Gerbe was the only one who showed up for the Sabres. All of this while never being given the golden opportunity that I'm seeing Tropp get right now.

Where's your argument again? Or will you just argue that I shouldn't be allowed to present a case in English since my forum name has English words in it? Oh, and Gerbe is a natural center... says so on NHL.com so it must be true.

I never thought it would be so offensive to say a marginal NHL player should be replaced by other marginal NHL players with a different skill set.

To expand upon this point, I think the only place I'd put Gerbe right now is the 4th line. I'd send Turnbull down and play two of Gerbe/McCormick/Boyes. I'm not touching my top 3 lines, they're all performing well right now and show good chemistry. Gerbe isn't talented enough to demand to be put in there, and can be effective as an energy guy/agitator on the 4th line. He may have more offensive ability than Tropp, but Tropp complements his linemates better.

Please provide your argument as to why Tropp/Kaleta/Turnbull are more valuable to have on the ice than Gerbe. My argument was already presented in an earlier post in this very thread. Tropp is getting a golden opportunity to play opposite one of the team's best scorers (in a slump perhaps, but still) and centered by another top prospect in Hodgson. Kaleta has been invisible all season aside from being penalized for breathing. Turnbull has made no case to stay up in the NHL aside from a bit of hustle and a freakishly lucky goal.

Gerbe has shown that he knows when to turn up the intensity. Are you forgetting that he was one of the best looking forwards in our short playoff run last year? Also, several games this season I recall posters on this forum saying Gerbe was the only one who showed up for the Sabres. All of this while never being given the golden opportunity that I'm seeing Tropp get right now.

Where's your argument again? Or will you just argue that I shouldn't be allowed to present a case in English since my forum name has English words in it? Oh, and Gerbe is a natural center... says so on NHL.com so it must be true.

The team is winning with them in the lineup and the contribution from all the lines is the most balanced it has been all season.

Justification enough. :)

I never thought it would be so offensive to say a marginal NHL player should be replaced by other marginal NHL players with a different skill set.

Short and to the point.

Oh wait, I just exhibited a bias against size, didn;t I?

I think Gerbe has been excellent. His offensive numbers have been hurt by the role he's filling and even more so by an exceptionally low shooting percentage (also known as Stafford-itus). Here are some non-traditional statistics that support my arguments. All numbers are SABRES FORWARDS -EVEN STRENGTH (AS OF 3-21-12).

- 2nd overall in shots per game (Top 4- Stafford: 2.15 Sh/G, Gerbe: 2.05 Sh/G, Pominville: 1.96 Sh/G, Vanek: 1.64 SH/G)

- 3rd worst in shooting percentage (Bottom 5 - McCormack: 0.0%, Ellis: 3.7%, Gerbe: 5.0%, Boyes: 5.7%, Stafford 6.5%)

- 1st overall in Corsi Quality of Competition (Top 3 - Gerbe: 0.87, Pominville: 0.85, Roy: 0.85)

- 3rd worst in offensive zone start percentage (Bottom 3 - Kaleta: 42.0%, Ellis 45.3%, Gerbe 47.8%)

- Tied for second in penalties drawn per 60 min (Top 3 - Kaleta: 1.5 Pen/60, Gerbe/Hodgson/Leino: 1.0 Pen/60, Vanek: 0.9 Pen/60)

Gerbe was part of a very good shut-down line for a while with Gaustad and Kaleta and the offensive zone start percentage and quality of competition numbers reflect how that line was used. Despite playing against t he best competition and being used heavily on defense, he is still piling up shots at the second highest rate on the team. But like Stafford, he has been the victim of a very low shooting percentage. Gerbe has a great shot, there's no reason he should be sandwhiched between Matt Ellis and Brad Boyes in shooting percentage except for bad luck. His style leads to power plays as well (Kaleta owns this category).

Excellent post.

My 2 cents: I absolutely want Gerbe on this team, both for the stretch drive this year and for next year. He has speed, skill, high hockey IQ, good 2-way game, a cheap contract and a great attitude. Most importantly, he plays really hard, he mixes it up and he burns to win. The Sabres need more of that, not less.

Lines last game sorted by ice time:

Leino-Roy-Pommers

Foligno-Ennis-Stafford

Tropp-Hodgson-Vanek

Boyes-McCormick-Turnbull

IMO You don't change those first three lines.

Turnbull goes back to Rachacha.

McCormick sits.

Gerbe-Boyes-Kaleta.

And using up one of the final four call-ups to make Foligno a non-emergency call-up.

Another good one.

^this

minus the gerbe center thing... ive already fought that battle

If the only argument against gerbe is his "size" than I am sorry but thats weak. The kid has heart, produces, and is a major team player and leader. There will always be a place on this team for Nathan Gerbe in my book.

You don't change those first three lines. Turnbull goes back to Rachacha. McCormick sits. Gerbe-Boyes-Kaleta. And using up one of the final four call-ups to make Foligno a non-emergency call-up.

Gerbe-Boyes-Kaleta would be the best defensive combo, and have the most potential offensively. I feel a little uncomfortable in the punching things department, though. Oh well. This is the most likely line, imo.

Well, it's partly fact. He does have heart.

If Gerbe was closer to 6' than 5' I'd be his biggest supporter. But let's get real, as hard as he works and as much as he tries, his size is a major detriment to his game. How many times this season have we seen him just get pushed around and forced off the puck by a bigger player who does nothing but leans on him? (Hint: Your answer should be "too many.")

Send him to Rochester and let him have a prolific AHL career. The Sabres are just fine without him.

Archived