Will Gerbe be pushed out of the lineup?

Marvelo

Isn't McCormick a Center?

If you want to get technical then leave Leino out of the equation because he wasn't playing left wing when Gerbe got hurt. Gaustad, Gerbe and Kaleta was the #1 shut down line until Gaustad got traded then Leino took over. They remained the #1 shut down line until Gerbe and Kaleta got hurt. If it wasn't for the GGK line in the several games leading up to the trade deadline, and the GLK line after the deadline, we wouldn' t be talking playoffs right now.

Go back over the schedule and let me know how the #1 line of Boston, Pitts, SJ, Anahein, Vancouver did against BFLO with the Gerbe line defending them.

Yup.

No, and what is your logic. Siize on each line is helping this team. And I bought my playoff tiks. You????????

I made my point in my last post.

4th line most of the season and still 7th on the team in points. Hmmmmm........

Considering I live 1,450 miles away........ what do you think? ;)

If you want to get technical then leave Leino out of the equation because he wasn't playing left wing when Gerbe got hurt. Gaustad, Gerbe and Kaleta was the #1 shut down line until Gaustad got traded then Leino took over. They remained the #1 shut down line until Gerbe and Kaleta got hurt. If it wasn't for the GGK line in the several games leading up to the trade deadline, and the GLK line after the deadline, we wouldn' t be talking playoffs right now.

Go back over the schedule and let me know how the #1 line of Boston, Pitts, SJ, Anahein, Vancouver did against BFLO with the Gerbe line defending them.

Why leave Leino out of the equation? He is an LW regardless of what he was doing earlier. Our top 3 LW's in our current streak include Leino. If you are going to disregard him because he was being used out of position before than we might as well disregard position entirely, and I find that to be rather unrealistic.

Goose isn;t here anymore. The team has a different dynamic. The question becomes how does Gerbe fit into that dynamic. At best I see him as sharing time with McC. In that role I don't think he's effective enough to want him on a playoff roster.

I made my point in my last post.

4th line most of the season and still 7th on the team in points. Hmmmmm........

Considering I live 1,450 miles away........ what do you think? ;)

Guess not. Good point.

Why leave Leino out of the equation? He is an LW regardless of what he was doing earlier. Our top 3 LW's in our current streak include Leino. If you are going to disregard him because he was being used out of position before than we might as well disregard position entirely, and I find that to be rather unrealistic.

Goose isn;t here anymore. The team has a different dynamic. The question becomes how does Gerbe fit into that dynamic. At best I see him as sharing time with McC. In that role I don't think he's effective enough to want him on a playoff roster.

Couldn't agree more. Size does matter. Ennis and Roy have to be our only two small players. This has become a big man's league. I wasn't happy with Roy for most of this year. However, tearing a tendon off the bone is a major injury and is a long term healing process.

Size makes space and helps scoring.

Sure, size with skill does that. Size alone doesn't. But I'm tangenting. If Gerbe comes back to full health and Ruff doesn't upend any of his lines to make room, I don't care, until it stops working. I think Gerbe's work on the 3rd line has been stellar, though, and he will end up nice and cozy on that line soon enough. Depth is a nice problem to have, ain't it?

I said leave Leino out of the equation because weave told me to leave out the right wingers. So wouldn't it make sense if I was comparing the shut down line that Leino would be disregarded because he wasn't playing LW at the time? Try and keep up................

The dynamics have changed over the course of less than two weeks? All because of one hot line? What were the dynamics when they were winning when Gerbe was in the lineup......... on the shut down line? You know, before we had a hot line?

I love it how people jump on the bandwagon because of a couple of hot call ups. How did that work out for Kassian and Adam?

Where is all this "size" coming from? OK, Foligno............. and who else?

Players the size of Gerbe has to have some other skills that are extraordinary. Ennis is tiny as well, but is great at bringing the puck up ice and is a great playmaker. Gerbe's 'special' talent is that he works really hard. That's just not good enough. The way I see it time is running out for Nathan Gerbe, which is a shame, I really like the guy, but we can't waste a roster spot on a feel good story. What Gerbe has done this year can easily be replaced for less money. After Boyes he's the most obvious player we need to upgrade on our roster.

I said leave Leino out of the equation because weave told me to leave out the right wingers. So wouldn't it make sense if I was comparing the shut down line that Leino would be disregarded because he wasn't playing LW at the time? Try and keep up................

The dynamics have changed over the course of less than two weeks? All because of one hot line? What were the dynamics when they were winning when Gerbe was in the lineup......... on the shut down line? You know, before we had a hot line?

I love it how people jump on the bandwagon because of a couple of hot call ups. How did that work out for Kassian and Adam?

Where is all this "size" coming from? OK, Foligno............. and who else?

Tropp is an upgrade over the 5'4" Gerbe. Sorry!

First off, lose the snark. I haven't got snarky with you at all. If you want an adult convo I'll indulge. Otherwise, you can converse with yourself.

Leino has moved between LW and C all season. He's an LW. He fits in this conversation. If he''s had stints at RW they've been experiments.

The dynamics changed on trade deadline day. On that day the checking line was dismantled. In it's place a 3rd line that works as a hybrid checking/scoring line emerged. Leino-Roy-Pommer now has the role of defending against top lines. And that is another reason why Leino needs to be considered in any discussion involving LW depth.

You never saw me on the callup bandwagon so I'm not sure what heap you are pulling that out of. What I see right now is a team with more center skill thanks to the deadline day exchange of Goose and Hodgson and more size and grit allowing the top 3 lines more effective. And I don;t see where Gerbe fits in there.

It's a ###### opinion for crying out loud. Leave the name calling and assorted ###### for someone else.

Gerbe started out the year doing far better than Ennis in terms of points, but Ennis really has surpassed him in that regard. But Gerbe, Gaustad (and now Leino) and Kaleta were (and now are) a SUPERB shut-down line, and his two-way game is one thing I'm choosing not to ignore.

First off, lose the snark. I haven't got snarky with you at all. If you want an adult convo I'll indulge. Otherwise, you can converse with yourself.

Leino has moved between LW and C all season. He's an LW. He fits in this conversation. If he''s had stints at RW they've been experiments.

The dynamics changed on trade deadline day. On that day the checking line was dismantled. In it's place a 3rd line that works as a hybrid checking/scoring line emerged. Leino-Roy-Pommer now has the role of defending against top lines. And that is another reason why Leino needs to be considered in any discussion involving LW depth.

You never saw me on the callup bandwagon so I'm not sure what heap you are pulling that out of. What I see right now is a team with more center skill thanks to the deadline day exchange of Goose and Hodgson and more size and grit allowing the top 3 lines more effective. And I don;t see where Gerbe fits in there.

It's a ###### opinion for crying out loud. Leave the name calling and assorted ###### for someone else.

Gerbe =Jody Gage Look it up kids.

Hard work, a lot of heart, he plays physical, forces penalties, damn good defensive winger, and he can score. Do you expect him to be a 20 goal scorer with the linemates he's had most of the year? He certainly deserves a spot over Boyes and McCormick (unless he's needed for a game that might get physical). Tropp? Turnbull? Sorry, I choose Gerbe.

He should play over Boyes,McCormick, and Ellis but not Tropp. Tropp has played very well lately.

Nope, and he wasn't 5'4" in a no call league in the regular season when they throw the rules out the window in the playoffs. I know you know the history. Why are we fighting? It is not a midget's league, no matter how much I like his heart

Man you really need to chill. If you can somehow guage my emotions based on a bunch of words on a screen then you've got some talent. There wasn't any snark, and there wasn't any names called. I've got better things to do than get upset at a bunch of people I don't know. Instead of the ###### maybe you need to think about bubbles and kittens. :P

Man you really need to chill. If you can somehow guage my emotions based on a bunch of words on a screen then you've got some talent. There wasn't any snark, and there wasn't any names called. I've got better things to do than get upset at a bunch of people I don't know. Instead of the ###### maybe you need to think about bubbles and kittens. :P

Calmer than you'll ever know.

You insinuated I'm nuts and implied I can't keep up. I'd call that snark. Whatever. If you want to have a discussion involving logic and reason about where Gerbe fits in the current lineup I'm all ears and willing to move forward. If you want to insinuate a bunch of personal stuff I'll move on. Choice is yours.

Nope, and he wasn't 5'4" in a no call league in the regular season when they throw the rules out the window in the playoffs. I know you know the history. Why are we fighting? It is not a midget's league, no matter how much I like his heart

You keep ignoring this, so I won't try and actually angage you in a discussion of Gerbe's great two-way game and his success on the 3rd line. I'll just say that, no matter what happens during this Sabres hot streak, by next season, I expect the 3rd line to be Gerbe, Leino, and Kaleta. And no way will that make me unhappy.

Really, Gerbe over Mccormick? Really? I know you are an old school guy.

Oh I am? Crap. Then I change my mind. Besides, Gerbe's value, again, is on the 3rd line, so when the dust settles and guys like Hecht and Boyes are gone, I expect Gerbe and McCormick to possibly exist on the same roster. Wouldn't bother me at all. But McCormick is probably going to lose his job to a rookie this coming offseason, just a hunch.

You keep ignoring this, so I won't try and actually angage you in a discussion of Gerbe's great two-way game and his success on the 3rd line. I'll just say that, no matter what happens during this Sabres hot streak, by next season, I expect the 3rd line to be Gerbe, Leino, and Kaleta. And no way will that make me unhappy.

I'm quite happy with a 3rd line with Leino-Roy-Pommer. I think they compliment each other quite well. I'm not disregarding Gerbe's two-way play, I just don't see where he fits in the current roster. He's not going to displace Vanek, and I certainly hope Foligno's game remains high enough that he can't displace Foligno either. And that leaves Leino and McC. I prefer Leino for a shut down role simply because of the way that line seems to gel. I don;t see Gerbe being as effective as Leino on a line with Poomer and Roy. Leino is the corner/boards/puck possession guy and that isn;t a game Gerbe excels at. And that leaves us with the 4th line, which means we are making a decision between McCormick and Gerbe. I know Cody's game is limited but I'll take his game over Gerbe's game when we are in a 7 game series against NYR or Boston. Probably Philly and Pitts too. Change the opponent and I'm open to putting Gerbe in in place of Cody.

And that is the bottom line of where I see Gerbe fitting, a situational replacement for McCormick on the 4th line.

Okay, and I differ in opinion and will respect yours. I feel Gerbe can't play on a cup winning team, an that is my only objective. If I'm wrong and we win a cup, I'll eat crow.

If you and I were arguing about paint colors, and I was to say that light blue really has shown to be a great color for infant males' bedrooms, the way you are stating your "case", I'd expect your response to be, "Light blue is a crappy color, and no house will ever be a good house with a room painted light blue." There's no real place for me to grab onto your "reasoning", especially when I keep trying to remind you (and frankly weave as well) of Gerbe, Leino, and Kaleta on that 3rd line in those games, after all those OTHER games when Gaustad centered them and they were also extremely effective.

OK, so I was typing that as weave was posting his. I'm fine, again, if Gerbe sits healthy because the Sabres are doing better without him. But there are a handful of players that are nowhere near as good defensively as Gerbe proved to be, so I absolutely see him being right there on the 3rd line again eventually.

Archived